Newcomer / Intro Ship Insurance

The insurance rebuy is always 5% of the value of the ship and all the modules you had on it at the time, you really need to watch out for that when you trade up your ship or modules.

To answer the OP's question directly: no, insurance in ED is not like insurance in the real world. You are not considered an "insurance risk" with higher premiums, just because the ships you fly keep exploding. Premiums remain the same, no matter how many (or how few) claims you make.

So lost my ship and never not had the money to rebuy until now unaware that if i didnt seel a ship I cant get it back. I heard there was a one time free buy back you can do. How would I got about doing that.
The ships worth around 100 million so this ha really put me off playing.

So lost my ship and never not had the money to rebuy until now unaware that if i didnt seel a ship I cant get it back. I heard there was a one time free buy back you can do. How would I got about doing that.
There is no "one time free rebuy".
Your first Sidewinder that you start with is free to rebuy as long as you keep it stock. But the moment you upgrade anything on that ship or buy another ship, you will always be paying a rebuy.

1 - It doesn't take long to earn that back, especially since you now know more than when you started.

2 - "Once bitten twice shy" - i.e. see it as a learning experience - even the starting screen has the "don't fly without the rebuy" these days I think.

Stick with it, the game is worth it.

P.S. Welcome :)

The rebuy on all ships is 5% of the price you paid for the ship and modules fitted, the first ship you started in was a free loan so no buy back fee until you had changed something on it. The standard advice is never fly without being able to pay that at least twice.

It is possible to deselect modules on the rebuy screen so that they won’t be included this brings down the rebuy cost, if that cost gets close enough to your bank balance you can get a loan to make up the difference it will be recovered from your i game income automatically.

It's a shame you can't get the 60% no claim bonus. And no one in the 34th century will have even heard of fire and theft.

Even at just 5%, the trans-galactic insurance agencies are making a killing. Being minted is the understatement of the year.

It's a shame you can't get the 60% no claim bonus. And no one in the 34th century will have even heard of fire and theft.

Even at just 5%, the trans-galactic insurance agencies are making a killing. Being minted is the understatement of the year.

Yes the Pilots Federation pockets all the no claims bonuses, which is fair enough as they are the ones arranging the insurance we just pay the 'voluntary' excess when we break our ships.

Top Bottom