Ship Mysteriously Destoyed - Bug or Feature ?

So I was on planet Anca A1 at a geological surface site in my SRV. I am going around shooting crystals gathering the mats, when suddenly I get the message that my ship is destroyed. Just like that.

No-one else was around. It was in open though. I quit out to Elite(non-horizons), did my rebuy, then logged back to Horizons. At first I thought another player probably attacked me(unlikely as it was given remote location + difficulty of finding me), but you never know. There was nothing in the player contacts saying another player killed me.

So I start to examine the logs in EDDiscovery to try and work out what happened.

My ship actually took off with the NPC(automatic pilot) at 23:04:05.

It should not be able to be destroyed at this point is my thinking?

There are a few log entries after that about materials being collected(my SRV activity).

Nothing about my ship being destroyed. Nothing about my ship being attacked. Nothing at all actually to indicate what might have happened. I re-checked event filter to make sure I was getting everything. All events shown.

There was a shutdown entry at 23:11:49, just moments after my ship was destroyed I quit out.

That is a suspicious time window, about 7:30. My thinking is that what happened is that due to my modules power priority and given that I need to manually switch modules on and off, the life support shut off when my ship dismissed itself.

After the life support countdown the ship blew up as normal when life support countdown ends. Problem was I was not on the ship I was on the SRV.

Is this intended behaviour or a bug?

I have yet to positively confirm that it was the life support but I think it is a pretty good guess.

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786

I don't know, but if the ship blew up because life support ran out--when no one was aboard--then that seems really weird :)

I'd open a support ticket and send in the journal, maybe they can at least tell you what really happened.

Ok, so I did issue a bug report with Frontier.

I also did some more testing of my own.

When I manually dismissed the ship everything was fine.

The problem seems to be when I drive away from the ship and it tries to automatically take off. IF my module power configuration is such that everything is in tier 1 so that my life support and thrusters both go off at same time, the ship never leaves the planet. I can see the green square continually. After 7:30 the ship then blows up due to life support(I am pretty sure).

So I think I got the conditions now to repeat the bug/feature if needed. IF its a bug it needs fixed, IF its a feature, clear warning needs to be given to CMDR when he leaves in SRV that this could happen with the whole alert red triangle thing, would be nice as well to get reminded every couple minutes or so in the SRV that there is a problem and I need return to my ship.

For now, if manually managing module power and going out in SRV, would recommend CMDRs to ensure configuration/modules that life support+thrusters will both stay on at same time and to manually dismiss ship(which is best practice anyway).

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786

If you were running around in your SRV, out of sight of your ship it may have been (probably was) destroyed on the ground by an NPC ship. If you were playing in OPEN mode the ship might have been destroyed by a human CMDR. Easy pickings. This is why you should always DISMISS your ship once the SRV is deployed. o7

Last edited:
Ok, so I did issue a bug report with Frontier.

I also did some more testing of my own.

When I manually dismissed the ship everything was fine.

The problem seems to be when I drive away from the ship and it tries to automatically take off. IF my module power configuration is such that everything is in tier 1 so that my life support and thrusters both go off at same time, the ship never leaves the planet. I can see the green square continually. After 7:30 the ship then blows up due to life support(I am pretty sure).

So I think I got the conditions now to repeat the bug/feature if needed. IF its a bug it needs fixed, IF its a feature, clear warning needs to be given to CMDR when he leaves in SRV that this could happen with the whole alert red triangle thing, would be nice as well to get reminded every couple minutes or so in the SRV that there is a problem and I need return to my ship.

For now, if manually managing module power and going out in SRV, would recommend CMDRs to ensure configuration/modules that life support+thrusters will both stay on at same time and to manually dismiss ship(which is best practice anyway).

Signing off,

CMDR Gavin786

You are doing the forums wrong. Your approach is way too reasonable.

You should submit a bug report.

If you were running around in your SRV, out of sight of your ship it may have been (probably was) destroyed on the ground by an NPC ship. If you were playing in OPEN mode the ship might have been destroyed by a human CMDR. Easy pickings. This is why you should always DISMISS your ship once the SRV is deployed. o7
As I said, I did check the logs and neither of these things happened(according to the logs at any rate). There are quite a few log entries that get added when under attack, hull damage, and ship destruction; none are here. I did manage to an experiment where I can now repeat the steps for ship destruction.So I am pretty confident ship is not being destroyed by NPC or players.

Did you take into account that your thrusters are shut off automatically when you land on a planet? This can make it seem like you have more power than you really do. Then when it takes off, **** hits the fan. I screwed up my priorities this way once, and got back to my ship just as it exploded in front of my SRV.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, hot planet with Silicate Vapour Geysers.

Although I can't tell which type of specific Geyser or Lava Spout you parked your Ship nearby, be aware that at least Lava Spouts can overheat both Ship or SRV when in close proximity.

Unsure if you get a warning if the parked Ship takes overheat damage, I tend to believe that might not be the case (only attack on Ship is reported while in SRV, at least I believe so).

Anytime I park the Ship near Lava Spouts (Camp fire-type visuals), I closely check temperature after touching down. Only if the temp decreases, I deploy the SRV - otherwise I relocate or dismiss the Ship immediately.

PS.
But if your Ship was dismissed when the event occurred, I'd definitely file a Bug Report. Never heard of a dismissed Ship getting destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a known "issue" involving your ship not being able to power-up it's thrusters at times.

It's kind of convoluted but, basically, your ship can always manage to leave (either when it's dismissed or when you get more than a certain distance from it) but, if you're seriously marginal on power, you can end-up in a situation where your returning ship powers-up the SRV bay while it's in flight (so you can board) and that leaves it without enough juice to power the thrusters and then it'll just fall out of the sky and be destroyed.

It's not exactly a "bug" but more of an "idiosyncrasy" of the way the autopilot manages power.

I know this was a BIG problem a couple of years ago and I think FDev might have made at least one attempt to fix it.
It might actually be fixed but I always try to avoid under-sizing the PP dramatically, just to ensure I don't get this problem.

It'd be kind of annoying if you built an exploration ship with an undersized PP and then flew a couple of thousand Ly, landed, deployed your SRV and your ship's thrusters went offline while it was on autopilot.

Last edited:
This issue has been cropping up in the forums a few times. There's probably dozens of commanders playing who don't visit the forums and don't know what happened and are cursing their luck.

So it's good that you've submitted the report and carried out these investigations of your own, also. Thankyou, on behalf of all of us (Disclaimer ... I don't speak for everyone, but you get the idea of what I mean!)

If you have your modules prioritised correctly, and this still happens I'd call bug. If you shut off modules manually, then I'd say its unfortunate but fair. Lesson learned.

If you have your modules prioritised correctly, and this still happens I'd call bug. If you shut off modules manually, then I'd say its unfortunate but fair. Lesson learned.
Modules were not prioritised. I was manually managing them.

Whether its a bug or not depends on whether its intended behaviour by the Devs.

IF its intended behaviour that is fine, but really there should be a warning triangle that appears every 30 secs or so to let CMDRs know that there is a problem and it needs their attention.

I post this not because I need the money for my ship rebuy but to help improve the game and warn other CMDRs. I dont need a lesson thank you.

Top Bottom