Horizons Ships don't seem that "Big"

I just want to know if I'm not the only one who feels that the scale of the ships doesn't really feel that big. It might be the fact that we can't walk around yet and see it from a human scale at a human pace (i.e. walking around it). Either that or it might be the fact I work with large aircraft every day (C17s) that has skewed my sense of scale.

I've seen the ships to scale videos, and while I do recognize that they aren't small, they just don't feel that big in game.

No they don't seem that big at all. Even when comparing a Sidewinder to a Anna it doesn't feel much different. I suppose it is because there is nothing to compare scale too..

the Annie is 3 times the length nose to tail of one of those C17s. The C17s wingspan is nearly a dozen yards smaller than the Annies width at its broadest part. The Annie is roughly twice the height. The C17 can haul a paltry 76 tonnes of cargo. The C17 could fit in the 'condas hold.

the Annie is 3 times the length nose to tail of one of those C17s. The C17s wingspan is nearly a dozen yards smaller than the Annies width at its broadest part. The Annie is roughly twice the height. The C17 can haul a paltry 76 tonnes of cargo. The C17 could fit in the 'condas hold.

Nope still seems small.

Note:
I'm not trying for people to convince me that the ships are big. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else thinks that the sense of scale available is kind of skewed somehow, if things just don't seem big.

Last edited:
I would say it's small, but like you say, it's due to lack of scale comparison. VR gives a better sense of scale, as well as driving in an SRV. When we can walk around, and it takes forever and a day to walk through your Annie it will kind of allow the scale a bit more. It's interesting to think how small we consider space superiority fighters and interceptors like the Eagle and Viper, but in reality they are quite bigger compared to one man fighters from other media like X-Wings and BSG Vipers, which if I'm not mistaken are closer to the F63 Condor.

I agree also.

I think a lot of this is due to a lack of familiar reference objects to frame your ships against. Outside of stations, there isn't a great deal of material to compare your vast interstellar space machines to, except for the actual vastness of space itself, and a backdrop of infinity is a difficult thing to feel large against. I've even started noticing also that after a while, it gets easier and easier to look at stars as being something that are easily traversed, which muddies the whole scale thing even further. It's hard to appreciate the true size of a gigantic ball of burningness when you can run a lap around it in a few seconds while you're pilfering space fuel from it.

The only things i've seen that can help with scale thus far are the trucks in stations, staircases (hey, this internal bay is actually HUGE), and the windows in control towers. Everything else is just too foreign to use as a reference.

This highlights (to me) one of the two biggest missing puzzle pieces where visual immersion is concerned; there's no clutter. No barrels. No cars (aside from the single manufactured yellow truck - the maker of which must be VERY well off). No teeny robots scooting around picking up the ludicrously common amounts of debris from destroyed ships (parking officers in the Elite universe are homicidal :):):):):)), no piles of random equipment a few pixels across, no bananas, no chairs and tables. There's even a conspicuous absence of the one great video game scale framing tool - the humble crate. It's space - stations have bajillions of tonnes of produce on sale, there should be crates everywhere.

"Excuse me sir, where are all the crates of food capsules I ordered?"
"They're difficult to render, citizen. Now move along. Also, that's a 200 credit fine for loitering"

The SECOND missing piece of the immersion puzzle, IMHO, is people. I know life is incredibly cheap in the future, but my internal reasoning of everyone cowering under tables for fear of getting a parking ticket and being executed is stretching pretty thin. Those landing towers should be manned. Even 2D sprites would work. There should be people on walkways in the big stations, or clinging to towers on outposts in EVA suits. With the amount of bureaucracy involved in the running of a station, there should be a person with a clipboard and a frantic expression on their face every 200 pixels. There should be people everywhere on the surface of planets, even the airless ones (although if that happened, i'm guessing the game would become Grand Theft Auto - ELITE in about 0.6 seconds after you first spatter a pedestrian across your windscreen). Heck, in Imperial space especially there should be slaves working with those glowing batons to help guide your ship onto the pad. I say slaves, because if some of my early landings are anything to go by, you couldn't pay someone enough in the federation to get in the way of your average pilot.

Also, being able to walk around in your ship would be fantastic. I'm guessing the first time someone got lost in their Anaconda while being interdicted and trying to find the bridge would be a good way to establish the scale of your vessels.

To a very large extent, it's that we don't see figures anwhere, I think. Seeing another human being is a huge part of how our brains envision scale.

It probably doesn't help that the ships have enormous cockpits. Even the single seat (or over/under) variety like the Asp that has something like 2 meters of head room for no apparent reason.

The things to remember is that, while the ships are large, space is enormous, so scale and perspective make the ships appear tiny. The stations are also designed for the largest ships in mind (and the major stations are huge), so they dwarf the Anaconda and the T9 (except for the mail slot; that is WAY too small!).

Definitely agree about the lack of people in stations contributing to the problem comparing ship scales. I love the idea of the guy with the glowing batons directing landings. I would likely get fried by the station for squashing said baton wielder accidentally - my landings are still somewhat "cinematic." Off topic but the other thing I miss is comms chatter. I wish there were more background noises from the various ships flying around in-system. So far space is pretty quiet.

Nope still seems small.

Note:
I'm not trying for people to convince me that the ships are big. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else thinks that the sense of scale available is kind of skewed somehow, if things just don't seem big.

They seem small when you are inside but once you get out and drive around the ship. It seems bigger.

A Sidewinder with deployed buggy

View attachment 89045

A FDL with deployed buggy for comparison.

View attachment 89046

Last edited:
Got to say, they look big enough to me.

3thaVZS.jpg

aSofkE1.jpg

p0nlFUW.png

Wje7JV2.jpg

...Heck, in Imperial space especially there should be slaves working with those glowing batons to help guide your ship onto the pad. I say slaves, because if some of my early landings are anything to go by, you couldn't pay someone enough in the federation to get in the way of your average pilot.

Oh.

My.

God.

Genius! We could rack up murder fines in Imperial space for splatting Imperial Slaves trying to help you land on the pads! That would be awesome! People would soon learn to land - after the initial obligatory murder spree...

It probably doesn't help that the ships have enormous cockpits. Even the single seat (or over/under) variety like the Asp that has something like 2 meters of head room for no apparent reason.

I had a good look inside the cockpit of my Asp the other day while docked. Did the debug camera thing, and worked out that it's almost the size of my bedroom... It is very huge!

Z...

Last edited:
I had a good look inside the cockpit of my Asp the other day while docked. Did the debug camera thing, and worked out that it's almost the size of my bedroom... It is very huge!

What debug camera thing are you talking about? You can move around inside the cockpit?

Look at your keybindings there is an external camera.

To clarify, I'm aware of being able to use the debug camera to observe the exterior of the ship, but I took what Zeeman posted as he was able to use the debug camera to view the interior of the cockpit... Maybe he meant he was looking in from the outside, not sure.

Top Bottom