Ships Ships for Mat Farming in HazRES? (not 'Vette)

If you want materials go to a low RES with a shield tank. An Anaconda would be good. Obviously, a Cutter or Corvette would be better. Load it up with all turrets, fast charging shields, a point defence, at least a 3A collector limpet controller and plenty of collector limpets (at least 40 if you want to stay for a while).

The NPCs hardly fight back. You can get as many as 6 at once shooting you, though they have very low damage weapons.

Take 5T of cargo. Jump in and wait for any pirate to scan you. it's name will appear in the comms. Immediately target it from the contacts panel and open fire, then simply point and fire at it and any target that turns red. It helps to have a button/key set to target the next hostile because the police are pretty quick at finishing them off before you get a chance.

Deploy your limpets and start hoovering. Every time you kill a big ship, wander over to where it blew up to make sure your limpets prioritise that stuff. With turretts, you don't need to point at the reds, just target and pull the trigger. Once you're over the position where the big ship dropped its materials, set zero throttle and just rotate your ship to point at any reds to speed up their demise.

If you want materials go to a low RES with a shield tank. An Anaconda would be good. Obviously, a Cutter or Corvette would be better. Load it up with all turrets, fast charging shields, a point defence, at least a 3A collector limpet controller and plenty of collector limpets (at least 40 if you want to stay for a while).

The NPCs hardly fight back. You can get as many as 6 at once shooting you, though they have very low damage weapons.

Take 5T of cargo. Jump in and wait for any pirate to scan you. it's name will appear in the comms. Immediately target it from the contacts panel and open fire, then simply point and fire at it and any target that turns red. It helps to have a button/key set to target the next hostile because the police are pretty quick at finishing them off before you get a chance.

Deploy your limpets and start hoovering. Every time you kill a big ship, wander over to where it blew up to make sure your limpets prioritise that stuff. With turretts, you don't need to point at the reds, just target and pull the trigger. Once you're over the position where the big ship dropped its materials, set zero throttle and just rotate your ship to point at any reds to speed up their demise.
At a low RES the spamming time for NPCs is atrocious.... to get mats in Low Res is the worst way if time matters !
ResH and High Res are far better, you will get new targets every couple of minutes, but true is, turrets won't save you.... And if you have a tasty load in your cargo you may get jumped by 1-2 Elite wings and more, who will give you a real fight.... a hard one, near to rebuy screen, sometimes.

But without cargo, you will have the initiative, and you will be the one picking targets...

At a low RES the spamming time for NPCs is atrocious.... to get mats in Low Res is the worst way if time matters !
ResH and High Res are far better, you will get new targets every couple of minutes, but true is, turrets won't save you.... And if you have a tasty load in your cargo you may get jumped by 1-2 Elite wings and more, who will give you a real fight.... a hard one, near to rebuy screen, sometimes.

But without cargo, you will have the initiative, and you will be the one picking targets...
I'm not sure what you mean by the spamming time. You get the same spawn rates or maybe higher in a low RES as a high RES, and you get the same mats in low RES as High RES. Anacondas still drop some grade 5s, other big ships drop grade 4s. The only difference is that the ships die much faster in a low RES and you can pick up the materials without fear of wing-mates or anybody else shooting you because the wing-mates do so little damage, you can just ignore them. The cargo is to save time. As soon as the pirates spawn, they come straight to you. I think I lost one ring of shields once when I had about 10 of them shooting all at once continuously for 5 minute. As fast as I was killing them at a rate of about one every 10 to 20 seconds, more were replacing them. I must have killed about 25 ships in those 5 minutes before things quietened down.

The only reason I gave my advice is because I'm doing it right now and I know it works. I'm guessing it's a while since you've been there.

Spamming a haz res solo with say, a krait ll or equivalent is just hamstringing.
Surely it's more efficient with a larger ship more limpets more collectors more armour shields and so on so forth?
Sure you can solo it with a dbs with just a couple of beams. But it'll take alot longer.
A biweave shielded conda with 4 imp hammers the rest cooling gimballed beams is heartily recommended.

o7

I'm not sure what you mean by the spamming time. You get the same spawn rates or maybe higher in a low RES as a high RES, and you get the same mats in low RES as High RES. Anacondas still drop some grade 5s, other big ships drop grade 4s. The only difference is that the ships die much faster in a low RES and you can pick up the materials without fear of wing-mates or anybody else shooting you because the wing-mates do so little damage, you can just ignore them. The cargo is to save time. As soon as the pirates spawn, they come straight to you. I think I lost one ring of shields once when I had about 10 of them shooting all at once continuously for 5 minute. As fast as I was killing them at a rate of about one every 10 to 20 seconds, more were replacing them. I must have killed about 25 ships in those 5 minutes before things quietened down.

The only reason I gave my advice is because I'm doing it right now and I know it works. I'm guessing it's a while since you've been there.

"You get the same spawn rates or maybe higher in a low RES as a high RES" - NOT true., lol, you make me laugh !

In a Low RE I can wait more than 5 minutes for a NPC wing to spam, but in a High RE you will get a constant flow each 30-60 sec ;
The last 2 months I did - and I keep doing ! - tons of assassination missions in Maia and the difference in spawning time is considerable...
I do also mining in Low RE and I can mine inside the 20km zone without a single NPC to attack me sometimes, for 30-45 minutes, but in a High RE I am picket each 4-5 minutes and half of time I spend mining, half fighting.
I stack assassination missions - up to some 120-150 kills - in a High RE - I can do the kills in 1h, BUT in a Low RE I do, MAYBE ! - 20 -30 kills in the very same time.
The fact is pointed out not only by my own experience....

( https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Resource_Extraction_Site )

"The RES type directly affects the expected ship spawn size."

The size, quality, and rate of the NPC ship spawns in RES depend upon four deciding factors:

• RES type (low intensity, regular, high intensity RES)
  • system security level (low, medium, high)
  • randomness (triggered upon entering the site)
  • multiplayer (Open Play)

RES typeExpected ship spawn
size and rate
Resource Extraction Site [Hazardous]Very High
Resource Extraction Site [High]High
Resource Extraction SiteMedium
Resource Extraction Site [Low]Low

Last edited:
Spamming a haz res solo with say, a krait ll or equivalent is just hamstringing.
Surely it's more efficient with a larger ship more limpets more collectors more armour shields and so on so forth?
Sure you can solo it with a dbs with just a couple of beams. But it'll take alot longer.
A biweave shielded conda with 4 imp hammers the rest cooling gimballed beams is heartily recommended.

o7
That is true, especially if you bring a highly trained NPC pilot with you and a big hangar - my pilot can take on Condas at will, is very practical - you engage the nearest target and send the fighter to the ones at 5-6 km - or more; Your killing rate increase greatly and the time to get counting kills decrease ;

First you must do, ideal , is to get a dozen of assassination missions targeting the same faction, stacking them ( so a kill will count for 2-3 even 4 missions ) AND only then start to farm materials .

You get the credits for missions ( I get 120-200 millions in ABC system, for 1 1/2 - 2 hours of fighting ! ) - you get the credits for bounties from the system where you do the kills ( and a big ship with many slots can easily afford a "wanted" scanner, who will double your earning ! ) - and, cherry on top, you will get a full load of materials ; I run in my Vette a class 7 Collector with 128 limpets - when I end the limpets, usually I have 3-5 kinds of materials full.... and I need to travel at a manuf. trader....
Hell, I did have days when I harvested MORE credits from kills than from mining Platinum ! ( for the same time involved....)
What you can wish more....

PS - just finished a row of them , right now : 74 millions from a faction, 76 from the other, and 42 in bounties from the system - over 200 millions in an hour and half.... AND the materials.

Last edited:
Dude. Where do you find systems with so many stackable missions?
My home base used to be pretty good but rarely offered more than 4-5 in the best of times. Recently the factions have been flipped around by player factions and now it's a total wasteland. :(
Guess it's time to find a new home base.

--

In other news, tried two new builds:
- Chally with 3 Med Rails
Only briefly tested. Seems to work reasonably well, but I'm not a rail expert. DPS isn't rly all that great though, the in-game numbers are misleading. For instance, the actual DPS of an unmodded class 2 rail is not 50 but more like 22,6.
Racked up a few kills but had to use my "Class 8 Hardpoint" pretty often.

- finally fitted and tested the Krait. 3 OC Pacs and 2 OC Beams. Firepower is good.
The downside is the agility -- "not great, not terrible". I'd say for my preferences it's the absolute minimum I would tolerate in a combat ship.
Lost my shields once or twice but survived the damage pretty well.
Also I noticed how the limpets stay alive much longer in combat than with the Chally. Prly bc the Krait turns so slow it doesn't ram its own drones. :p
All in all a pretty good trash collector. Also note how I'm pretty satisfied with the very first setup I tried, whereas I have tried half a dozen different outfits on the Chally and still ain't happy with it.

- finally fitted and tested the Krait. 3 OC Pacs and 2 OC Beams. Firepower is good.
The downside is the agility -- "not great, not terrible". I'd say for my preferences it's the absolute minimum I would tolerate in a combat ship.
Lost my shields once or twice but survived the damage pretty well.
Also I noticed how the limpets stay alive much longer in combat than with the Chally. Prly bc the Krait turns so slow it doesn't ram its own drones. :p
Boost turns are the bread and butter of the kraits. Both can permaboost with just one/ maybe 2 pips in engines, if you got your PD engineering right.
Compensates reasonably well for the slow turning rate. :)

Boost turns are the bread and butter of the kraits. Both can permaboost with just one/ maybe 2 pips in engines, if you got your PD engineering right.

"...if you got your PD engineering right." Yup, that's right, but here is why I love the Chally, with a PD engineered for weapons and with ZERO pips in engine ( I fight with 3 on weapons and 3 on sys) - Chally with no pips in engine, without boosting, will stay in the NPC Kraits tail laughing at them....

Chally with no pips in engine, without boosting, will stay in the NPC Kraits tail laughing at them....
Unless you are talking about some mostly harmless Type 6 NPC, I flat out doubt that statement.

If you fight without any pip-management, then go for a WEP-focused PD, by all means.
I would never forgo the recharge rate on ALL pips of a charge enhanced PD on a combat ship, like... ever.

Unless you are talking about some mostly harmless Type 6 NPC, I flat out doubt that statement.

If you fight without any pip-management, then go for a WEP-focused PD, by all means.
I would never forgo the recharge rate on ALL pips of a charge enhanced PD on a combat ship, like... ever.
He does not know what he's talking about ;)

According to Coriolis, an Efficient PA actually generates less heat per second than an OC Burst laser, so I guess there's your answer.

And a little note on the side, the Challenger actually has one (class 2) slot more than the Krait II. That could be used for instance to balance out your hull resistances, or add an MRP, or an AFMU just to have a backup plan when things turn sour.

Drawing up one build for each ship type, the Krait sure does have more shields than the Challenger... but not hugely so. With a similar setup of Bi-Weaves, boosters (1 HD, 3 RA) and 3 GSRPs, the Krait gets to approx 1250 raw and the Challenger to 1080. That's a 15% difference.

Be that as it may, I have decided that I will just also build that Krait to have a direct comparison, and to be able to try out more combinations in weapon loadout. ^^ Fortunately the thrusters are transferable (Pharma Isolators are in short supply in my bins rn), and I still have a 7A PD lying around.
What might ultimately call the race in favour of the Krait is that I finally get my Pacifiers on thursday... so if I like these weapons, I guess I'm gonna like having three of them more than one. 😁

As for the Challenger, I may be repeating myself but I find the hardpoint distribution less than ideal, and admittedly that's a chestnut I'm yet trying to solve. Independent from the intended role as mat-gatherer, it could be a decent Railboat (3 smalls, 3 meds, add a large Beam or sth), if you're good with rails. Or run those 4 PAs plus 3 small lasers. Either way you'll have to be good with Fixed, but don't need to worry about armour hardness. Or make it a fragboat. You see the problem. xD

---

Oh and another word about PAs vs MCs or other ammo weapons... in the Chieftain thread I already talked about damage potential, i.e. how much dmg your ammo is good for. There it turned out that Rails (without slug) have a very bad total. So now I went ahead and had a look at the MC potential, compared to PAs and taking resistance and hardness into account. It's actually pretty easy:

A class 2 MC fires its 2100 rounds at 7,7/s, so the entire ammo cap is enough for 50 of those 5.5 second bursts.
Potential effective damage (50/50 shield/hull) in this particular matchup ca 2600, provided you hit 100%.
The class 2 PA of our example has a potential effective damage of 5200, so anything higher than 50% hit rate and you come out on top. (In practice I'm pretty sure I don't get 50% hit rate, esp not against small targets.)
I am not sure how you are calculating everything, but it appears you are making a number of assumptions. That the MC’s aren’t buffed with incendiary or corrosive. Given that you are unlikely to be running only 1 MC a more accurate assessment would be to take a typical build DPS with a mix and average it out. Second your figures don’t allow for synth. MC synth is cheaper on mats than PA synth. Of course you can use plasma slug on PA’s, but then lose the damage buff of things like TC and take a damage cut as well.

Yeah I didn't take Incend or Corr into account, that's correct. At the same time, personally I do run a single MC on my Alliance ships -- a Small Corrosive Hi-Cap one. And yes that can negate the Piercing advantage of PAs.

Secondly also correct, I didn't take Synth into account -- tbh the only thing I ever synthed was SRV fuel. ^^

Cutter can easily carry over 300t of limpets which makes it the 'best' ship for mat farming endurance for me.

But realistically, I won't be playing long enough to make use of all 320t of limpets, despite having 6-8 limpets active at a time.

Railaconda is a lot of fun too. My loadout holds 160t, which isn't much compared to Cutter, but it is plenty.

Going down to a Keelback with multicrew is a lot of fun. I just have 24t of limpets, but I only use em for Condas. Keelback forces me to play a bit smarter and rely on teamwork.

Yeah, of course. Without Boost the Krait's pitch rate would be utterly inacceptable. But even with Boost it's probably still less agile than the Chief without, and then the boost tends to run out just a few degrees too soon. :p It's manageable, but I'm already pretty sure the Krait won't displace the Chief from my personal throne of combat vehicles. ^^

That reminds me, totally different but related question -- without special controllers, are there ways to preset and recall certain pip configurations?
I manage pips with the coolie hat, but that is a) relatively slow (as I often have to push the hat 3 or 4 times in a row), b) prone to error, and c) some configurations seem impossible to hit precisely (always half a pip off somewhere).

Yup, that's right, all my combat ships are weapon PD focused. 3 pips on sys will allow you to stand a Annie frontal fire ( tough, is better to avoid that, if you can ) and 3 on weapons allow my beams to fire non-stop, with short breaks to fire the pair of PA; I only use the pips changes if, somehow, I screw-up against a wing and I need to boost away several times...
The Cheffy speed is my infinite SCB, that is what I love on Cheffy :p

Last edited:
He does not know what he's talking about ;)
Dude - are you serious ? ... I never meet a NPC Krait able to shake me from his six, when I am in my Chefy....
One of two - or you have no clue of how great handle a Cheffy fully engineered, or you just love to drop here to make dumb statements. Probably last variant....maybe both...since you think a NPC Krait can do better or equal than a fully engineered Chieftain...

Last edited:
Yeah, of course. Without Boost the Krait's pitch rate would be utterly inacceptable. But even with Boost it's probably still less agile than the Chief without, and then the boost tends to run out just a few degrees too soon. :p It's manageable, but I'm already pretty sure the Krait won't displace the Chief from my personal throne of combat vehicles. ^^

That reminds me, totally different but related question -- without special controllers, are there ways to preset and recall certain pip configurations?
I manage pips with the coolie hat, but that is a) relatively slow (as I often have to push the hat 3 or 4 times in a row), b) prone to error, and c) some configurations seem impossible to hit precisely (always half a pip off somewhere).
This dude , Oytis, seems to be that one who have no clue how magic is on Cheffy maneuverability, especially when you compare a fully engineered one vs a NPC ... I wonder if he ever bothered to build one....and test that against NPCs .

I have grown so used to the permaboosting, that I tend to miss it on ships that can't. Nice thing is, if you time it right, the kraits can boost flip 180 degrees on the spot and almost immediately accelerate again with the next boost. The chieftain can not do that, its boost cycle feels painfully slow in comparison.
But yeah, after flying both and also the FDL extensively, I feel like I have yet to find a med ship that suits me just right. Might be that I have been flying my little vulture way too much to adapt to anything less agile. 😅

As I use joystick gremlin for adjusted response curves anyway, I also used it to assign 4 preset pip macros to one of my throttles hat switches. Works like a charm, and is a game changer in combat! The presets I use are: 4-2-0 / 2-4-0 / 4-0-2 and 0-3-3 and so far I am very happy with those, seems to cover every scenario I need.
I believe there is other software around that can do that as well, some use Voice Attack for the task from what I have heard.

I have grown so used to the permaboosting, that I tend to miss it on ships that can't. Nice thing is, if you time it right, the kraits can boost flip 180 degrees on the spot and almost immediately accelerate again with the next boost. The chieftain can not do that, its boost cycle feels painfully slow in comparison.
But yeah, after flying both and also the FDL extensively, I feel like I have yet to find a med ship that suits me just right. Might be that I have been flying my little vulture way too much to adapt to anything less agile. 😅

As I use joystick gremlin for adjusted response curves anyway, I also used it to assign 4 preset pip macros to one of my throttles hat switches. Works like a charm, and is a game changer in combat! The presets I use are: 4-2-0 / 2-4-0 / 4-0-2 and 0-3-3 and so far I am very happy with those, seems to cover every scenario I need.
I believe there is other software around that can do that as well, some use Voice Attack for the task from what I have heard.
"The chieftain can not do that, its boost cycle feels painfully slow in comparison." - why you say that, a Chieffy build with engine focus in PD can boost non-stop with 2-3 pips only...I never felt Cheffy boost "painfully slow" - a boost each 5-6 sec is "slow", in your opinion ? ...with a speed around 520-530 ?....
But hey, maybe you talk about PvP here.... and that is out of my consideration or arguments.
Reason why before making arguments here about something is always better to indicate if you consider PvE only or PvP ....in my case, I will say again, only PvE .

Last edited:
Top Bottom