Ships stealing, reimagined!

Here is my design on how the ships stealing thing may work not triggering anyone.

1. Any player can steal any ship, if manage to do this.
2. Yes, CMDRs can steal other CMDRs ships while being on-foot and sneaking/shooting inside the ship (yes, interiors!)
3. Obviously, our ships are our precious, so no one wants to lose it forever, especially when all engineered
4. So, if your ship is stolen, you can get the same one via the existing Rebuy mechanic on any port/station, for the same Rebuy price as we have now when destroyed
5. CMDR who stole the ship can use it indefenitely unless it's destroyed. They can't rebuy a stolen ship.
6. Neither can rebuy a stolen modules (in case if re-fitted a module to another ship)
7. A stolen ship can be sold on a black market for credits by a lower price (compared to a legal ship sell)
8. When owner is on the ship, thief will have to get to the cockpit and kill or lure the pilot out of the pilot's chair
9. If the ship is landed/docked unmanned, the owner will get a notification as soon as thief is on board - from this moment, owner can't dismiss the ship.
10. in case of owner's disconnect from the instance, thief will still be able to get the ship, but the owner will also keep their ship with no rebuy (if 15 sec left after disconnect)

So, this way, losing your ship to a thief will not be more painful than a death right now.
For "thiefs", they will have own limitations for balance, but it can still be profitable - either for having credits or by using the ship/modules for some time, or for illegal actions to avoid fines/wanted state to their main ship.

Last edited:
The value of a stolen ship has to be less than the rebuy cost, as otherwise players will just swap ships and rebuy them repeatedly. And unless swapping modules from a stolen ship is prohibited, it’s a way to bypass engineering.

In any event, not in Odyssey.

The value of a stolen ship has to be less than the rebuy cost, as otherwise players will just swap ships and rebuy them repeatedly. And unless swapping modules from a stolen ship is prohibited, it’s a way to bypass engineering.

In any event, not in Odyssey.
Valid points, as I said the stolen ships can be sold at a lower price on a black market - it seems the rebuy price is good for this.
As for the modules - I suggested them possible to refit to another ship, but module can't be rebuyed on death.
It seems to make more sense to me, though simple prohibiting is ok as well, while being less interesting IMO

Is it you, Mr. Chris Roberts; Shouldn't you be selling JPGs?

I think you clicked, the wrong browser link 🙂 that would be great, for the next pillow talk.

Last edited:
Ignoring the whole "would need ship interiors" bit, which.... anyway, I kinda like the idea if it meant we aligned ourselves to say the Feds or Imperials and then there were mission classes where you would be, say, "met with resistance" if in the wrong role.
Nick a ship, fly in all "Star Wars" style, shiny, shiny, then land and let rip. Add some sauce to the idea of needing to steal a ship, not doing it because everyone loves being ganked in Open.

However, adding some meaningfully difficult way of getting on to my ship in the first place would be key. If I'm out SRV'ing, how do they get in? A mini-game? Using the FPS elements of hacking/cutting panels? Or do I wait and watch, then dismiss the ship and watch them fall.... oh, that's goooooood!
Certainly the mechanics of disabling a ship's thrusters in combat and EVA'ing to break in and attack "is cool", but littered with "how the hell do you do that" with instancing... :)

Why would you ever leave your ship parked if it could be stolen? Much better to dismiss it to the magical pocket universe where dismissed ships go to. This would ruin that cool aesthetic of seeing a ship parked at a settlement or out in the wilderness....

Point 10 would make a neat exploit opportunity, though: multiplying ships with the help of a friend. Build a fully engineered monster cutter, equip with class 8 fuel scoop, let a friend steal it, disconnect, presto: 2 cutters. Now reverse roles, 2 cutters for you, 1 for your friend. Both can sell it for riches. Cool idea, would up-vote!

but littered with "how the hell do you do that" with instancing... :)
I'd hate to be flying along, then all of a sudden my "Pilot" instance changes to a "Being boarded" instance and I can't fly my ship anymore until I've repelled the boarders..... I can see it getting annoying pretty quickly! It's forced gameplay!
The only way (I can see) of doing it would be to disable the 'exploding' animation, change it to a 'disabled ship', and have it turn into a 'boarding' instance then - but again, forced gameplay!

While I'd love to be able to board ships, I think it would push alot more people into Solo/PG so, IMO, boarding should only be possible on Megaships (which I think would have alot more value and gameplay than trying to disable and board your 'Conda or Cheiftan, only to find you've relogged because you can't be bothered waiting an extra 10 minutes before the (innevitable) rebuy screen pops up)!

Due to the physics of ED, if a thief was running about on your ship unseated, then you could just accelerate, perform some turns and kill/KO them. First thing the thief would need to do is disable the thrusters either by attacking them in ship or sabotaging them on foot before the CMDR notices. I always thought it would be cool to have breacher limpets, where a player sits inside and is transported over to the disabled ship, where the limpet attaches to the access door and forces it open. Could set up some cool PvP scenarios, where CMDRs take security teams onboard ready to repel boarding pirates!

Ah, we can dream... :)

I'd hate to be flying along, then all of a sudden my "Pilot" instance changes to a "Being boarded" instance and I can't fly my ship anymore until I've repelled the boarders..... I can see it getting annoying pretty quickly! It's forced gameplay!
The only way (I can see) of doing it would be to disable the 'exploding' animation, change it to a 'disabled ship', and have it turn into a 'boarding' instance then - but again, forced gameplay!

While I'd love to be able to board ships, I think it would push alot more people into Solo/PG so, IMO, boarding should only be possible on Megaships (which I think would have alot more value and gameplay than trying to disable and board your 'Conda or Cheiftan, only to find you've relogged because you can't be bothered waiting an extra 10 minutes before the (innevitable) rebuy screen pops up)!
I hadn't considered that; I was thinking technically about how it'd be horrible; but forced gameplay can sod right off, too :p
Agreed completely!

i think this could be a great way for poor people in RL to be able to have a Bugatti/Ferrari/Lambourghini/etc, just steal it from the rich and evryones happy! :)

i think this could be a great way for poor people in RL to be able to have a Bugatti/Ferrari/Lambourghini/etc, just steal it from the rich and evryones happy! :)
Tis a good point; does the gameplay then promote Grand Theft Ship: ED? That ship would be tagged as "kill me now" forever, surely.. Taking it is fine; living with it should be hell :D

Maybe:
"And if you can disable or incapacitate the opponent cmdr, that person comes under a slave contract, forcing that cmdr to grind materials or credits for a certain amount to pay off his enslaver and become free again."

I'm reasonably sure this idea was covered in the DDF. But I do like where the OP's head is at, and it's a great shame ED has not gotten this far yet.

Maybe:
"And if you can disable or incapacitate the opponent cmdr, that person comes under a slave contract, forcing that cmdr to grind materials or credits for a certain amount to pay off his enslaver and become free again."
So we go from GTA: ED to ARK: ED? :p
In all seriousness, there's so many vocal people that just want to fly space ships - adding this sort of gameplay loop would kill it for many.

Top Bottom