Ships you want to see in Elite: Dangerous?

Hey folks! Didn't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd throw one up. Looking at the Kickstarter FAQ I'm seeing this rather worrisome answer.

How many craft types will you be able to fly?

At least 15 at launch, and we plan to add more after launch.

So this has me a bit blue. :( Clearly we won't have all the ships in FFE, and from the screenshots, it looks like we have some entirely new ships. Unless they are simply changing the looks of some of the ships.

Personally, I want to see a bare minimum of the ships from Elite.

Cobra Mk. III
Gecko
Krait
Python
Anaconda
Boa
Asp
Adder
Cobra Mk. I
Moray Starboat
Mamba
Viper
Sidewinder
Fer-De-Lance

As you can see, just the base set is getting pretty close to that limit, so I think certain ships will be dropped. I'd also like to see the Eagle and Imperial Courier from FFE/FE2.

However, I think I'll be fine with any shipset, as long as it has the Cobra Mk. III. Heck even a new model, as long as it looks the same as the old. I flew that ship for 3 games, and I will be darned if anyone thinks I'll play an Elite game in something OTHER then a Cobra. If Elite: Dangerous doesn't have a Cobbie, then I won't buy it! :mad:

Ahem. So, what ships would you like to see in the new game?

Definitly Imp Courier; Most of my FE2 is in one of these.
Fer-de-Lance also. I remember seeing one in Elite, thinking "What the heck is that?"...following it...getting bored so I shot it...and regretting my actions.

Those are the only two I wish to see, I think I would prefer to see mostly totally new ships mixed in with some of the old.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
For my shame I still love the Panther Clipper :eek:

@Space

And all of the ships from Frontier, especially the ultra-cool Imperial Courier/Trader.

but it was in the FAQ, 15 ships max. So there is no way they can add ALL of the ships from Frontier, and if they did, how would they add new designs?

Asp - but different versions too - variations on a theme - Mk I / II / III etc. with customisable cockpits and exterior features (e.g. boosters, weaponary etc)

I'm not sure I want cockpits.

The previous games didn't use them, and I prefer it that way. I'd rather have one console for all the ships like FFE and FE2 did. That way nothing obstructs my view but the important stuff.

I do however, really like the Asp too, and I'd do unspeakable things for a flyable Fer-De-Lance.

...so dreamy....:eek:

Cockpits

Yeah, I didn't mean the whole interior view of the cockpit in SC, but thought it would be cool to have modular interchangeable cockpits that could change both the internal AND external aesthetics of the ship... Just a way to make the ship your own and have a cool customisation option.

I'm sure they could easily have a toggle option somewhere to switch between 'classic' and enclosed cockpit views anyway to keep everyone happy.

Last edited:
Oh I think I see what you mean now. I was a bit confused. :p

My thing is that from right now, until 2014, FD only has so much time to create an amazing game, and ALOT of that, sadly is going to be dedicated to getting the game to work properly with networking code and multiplayer. As someone who has seen the development process of networking up close, I can say that FD has a HUGE project on their hands with just fufilling their promises regarding multiplayer.

Cockpits are going to eat away at that time. I'm fine with a console if it means they get the game out. At this point I'd pay for just half of the features they are promising.

Now, in a perfect world? Both options would be excellent. The custimization you are talking about would be epic. I'd love to have a custom cockpit for my Cobbie and be able to add things to it. (Fuzzy dice anyone?) So I really like what you are saying, I just don't see it happening in the one year development time they have given themselves.

Really? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember them saying any of this? Could you post a link or do you remember where you heard this? I'd love to be proven wrong!

:D

*EDIT*

Don't tease me! The Thargoid ship would rock, but I'd rather have actual thargoids to fight!

and if they did, how would they add new designs?

New ships could be added as content patches over time.

Immediately though they could run with standard designs taken from Elite / sequels and (perhaps) procedurally generated ships ? (DB is making a big deal of procedural programming so lets see it expanded)

I have an odd "request".... i really would like there to be at least one ship incapable of interstellar travel, but very fuel and cargo efficient. Starting out or playing only the interplanetary game really did let one play the game from a different "POV" in elite2/3.

Of course, in E2/3 it was still quite boring, because there was so little to do interplanetary, except of exploiting discrepancies in interplanetary supply and demand.

However, if the interstellar drive would for small shipsizes take up a significant amount of space, then more interplanetary "professions" could become possible. Like, by using a small craft without interstellar drive, being able to arm and shield it as well as a medium size craft, but with much higher agility and speed..... ideal to play as interplanetary police (bit like the equivalent of a fighter plane designed as "interceptor").

Okay, so i guess i'm not really asking for a specific ship, but just ship mechanics and design allowing to play interplanetary.

i really would like there to be at least one ship incapable of interstellar travel, but very fuel and cargo efficient.

If the ships were modular you could make one yourself - If so there would be nothing to stop you from removing all but the basic equipment from your starter ship and running errands to / from a planets surface ? Once you got bored (or made enough credits) you could refit your ship and shoot off into the galaxy.

Ahem. So, what ships would you like to see in the new game?

Simple .. move away from the pre-fabricated ships and welcome us into the modular age. Already touched upon this in the dog-fighting thread (http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27546&postcount=2)

- Ships simply become skins with attributes like unladen mass (inertia Newtonian effect); maximum hold space; types of systems they can accept
- Engines are given a grade that only fit into the right kind of ship and occupy hold-space plus deliver an amount of power for systems
- Everything else (weapons; shields; scientific equipment; life support; etc) occupies an amount of hold-space and draws power when used / on
- Once you have outfitted your ship whatever is left over in terms of hold-space can be converted to accept cargo
- Whatever power is left over from your engine is used for propulsion (low power = slow speed; lots of power = max speed; etc) and power your shields / weapons
- If you need more power switch off systems mid flight

That way you can fully customize a ship to exactly your needs.

As for what it looks like - I don't mind .. some existing ships from the Elite universe; some new ones; heck as I mentioned above some procedurally generated ships even!

(ETA: Would be funny to suffer a brown-out if your ships power was on the edge all the time!)

Last edited:
but it was in the FAQ, 15 ships max. So there is no way they can add ALL of the ships from Frontier, and if they did, how would they add new designs?

DB said at least 15 ships. That means possibly more.

I would like to see at least the Cobra, Asp, Imperial Courier, Eagle Fighter, Anaconda and Panther. But I see this as fairly irrelevant because the screenshots we have seen so far show nothing like the known ships from past games to me, other than the Cobra. So I am fairly easy about it, I am sure I will like whatever David brings us. I flew the Asp most so I would like that in the new game the most - but only because it was a bit like the Millenium Falcon with its strut-like landing gear. I am sure David will be coming up with ships that look a heck of a lot better than those in the old games (at least I hope so!)

@Liqua

Eh. I don't really like your idea. Whats the point of different ships if you can customize the bajeesus out of yours? I understand that if implemented your system would allow some individuality since only certain ships can use certain systems, but in my mind, it kind of takes away the believability as well. Vehicles are not designed that way. Look at the space shuttles, they are designed with a specific goal in mind. Same with any modern aircraft or vehicle. Thats what made me love the Elite ship list, the variety and working torwards one that suited my play style.

What you are describing removes the individuality from the ships, and gives it to the player. Sure, I can turn an Asp into a death machine or into an exploration vehicle, but it just doesn't appeal to me. A ship should have a very specific role in the universe, and the old way helps in that as a pilot, I know exactly what a Krait or Sidewinder is built for, and what to expect when encountering it. Having every ship become a new challenge is nice, but it kind of takes away from the game immersion in my opinion.

Procedurally generated ships might be fun, but I would prefer hand-crafted ships.

A ship should have a very specific role in the universe

With all due respect how very boring.

You see an Asp in space and know exactly what its armaments could be, how strong its shields are likely to be, and potentially how fast it could flee when you open fire on it ? What better surprise than to find a huge hauler in a space trading lane cruising along and you think "dinner" only to find out it's as you said - a death machine :D

By the 33rd Century (or when ever Elite is set) I expect a ship to be as modular as your PC is right now ... custom parts to serve a particular job - the only thing that limits your creation is the size of the skeleton and your credit balance.

Perhaps there should be stock ships but if you can't fit them as you see fit I will be very disappointed. Individuality and freedom of choice is what I am after here, not to be locked into someone elses idea of what a ship should be.

Last edited:
One Ship, Many Uses

Yep, multi-role for me too. The greatest thing about the classic Cobra MkIII was it was a jack of all trades, you could do just about anything with it. It's as much a part of Elite as the oval scanner itself. The rest of the ships in the later games could (to a lesser or greater degree) also be adapted to differing roles. I explored the galaxy in FE2 in a Sidewinder for example. So this is one thing I would like to see maintained in the new game. :)

Was just about to edit my post when Geraldine added something so here's the rest:

Whats the point of different ships if you can customize the bajeesus out of yours?

The ships all have a maximum capacity / acceptance of equipment and depending upon your intentions one ship would not fit all.

For example:

Engines could be of Type I - X
Your cobra can take anything upto a type IV engine and has (amongst other things) 4 hard mounts for weapons .. that limits both it's speed and possible armaments .. You want something bigger, get a (I dunno) Asp or something .. That can take up to a type VIII engine but only has 2 hard points - trade offs.

Yep, multi-role for me too ... (snip) ... So this is one thing I would like to see maintained in the new game. :)

So you're saying stock ships with set parameters or fully interchangeable to the Nth degree ? (Not sure what you meant sorry)

Last edited:
Top Bottom