News Shipyards added to player-faction bases in Colonia

Great job!
On the second thought, it seems to be much easier for Devs to add a bunch of shipyards to Colonia than rename just one tiny starsystem for the player, who won this prize on Lavecon 2017???
This is technically true - shipyard addition can be done as an in-place update not even requiring a server restart, while renaming a star system requires a client patch. (So hopefully it will be in 3.1)

Very nice, now adding an engineer or two & some high quality outfitting and it'd really attract some people to that beautiful region
The outfitting is pretty good nowadays - you can get almost all modules at B-rated (a few mid-sized ones only at C-rated, but exploration/mining equipment and smaller modules mostly at A-rated) and with remote workshops and the material brokers already there you can do quite a lot of engineering as well.

A ferry Mega-ship/s to Colonia wouldn't be in the works would it? for those who are too lazy to make the trip :D

What is in Colonia that makes it so special? nebula aside of course :D

""Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?" This question was asked of George Leigh Mallory, who was with both expeditions toward the summit of the world’s highest mountain, in 1921 and 1922, and who is now in New York. He plans to go again in 1924, and he gave as the reason for persisting in these repeated attempts to reach the top, "Because it's there."

:D

Well, the skybox is a lot better - makes flying around ring systems much prettier.

In terms of major differences:
- if you're an explorer, it's a closer base than the bubble for about 75% of the galaxy, and stocks almost all the equipment you might need. You can also get first discoveries only 100 LY from home if you fancy a shorter trip.
- if you're a miner, all the system reserves are pristine
- if you're a trader, the economic balance is significantly different in Colonia (a focus on High-Tech, Service and Tourism economies) which may add some variety. Rares trade is not generally practical, though.
- there is no Powerplay or superpower-aligned minor factions
- mission generation is generally more stable nowadays than in the bubble (no extreme edge cases in either direction) and includes several nice ways to make decent money and/or G5 materials.
- with a relatively small number of systems, you can learn all of them and have more of a connection to them
- there are no Engineers (but there are remote workshops and material brokers are available)
- Community Goals are rare (approx every 2-3 months, rather than weekly) but always lead to some meaningful improvement for the region. Also there's a chance to get some extremely exclusive decals. Unlike Sol bubble, CG participant count does not significantly vary with CG type.
- Extremely high concentration of player-backed factions (and various other qualitative differences in the BGS due to how the systems were set up)

Whether those are good things or bad depends on what you like to do, but it's certainly very different to the Sol bubble despite the basic rules of the game being identical.

Edit:
Summary of quantitative differences: https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/regions
Summary of qualitative differences: https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/new

Last edited:
Um...shipyards have existed in Colonia for a long time. It's just the player faction bases didn't have them until now. I moved to Colonia Dream over a year ago and have my entire fleet there. I'm only in the core systems at the moment to finish some engineering under the new system. I'm heading back starting this weekend (I hate the core systems and miss my Colonia bubble).

Well, the skybox is a lot better - makes flying around ring systems much prettier.

- if you're an explorer, it's a closer base than the bubble for about 75% of the galaxy, and stocks almost all the equipment you might need. You can also get first discoveries only 100 LY from home if you fancy a shorter trip.
- if you're a trader, the economic balance is significantly different in Colonia (a focus on High-Tech, Service and Tourism economies) which may add some variety. Rares trade is not generally practical, though.
- mission generation is generally more stable nowadays than in the bubble (no extreme edge cases in either direction) and includes several nice ways to make decent money and/or G5 materials.
- with a relatively small number of systems, you can learn all of them and have more of a connection to them
- there are no Engineers (but there are remote workshops and material brokers are available)
- Community Goals are rare (approx every 2-3 months, rather than weekly) but always lead to some meaningful improvement for the region. Also there's a chance to get some extremely exclusive decals. Unlike Sol bubble, CG participant count does not significantly vary with CG type.
- Extremely high concentration of player-backed factions (and various other qualitative differences in the BGS due to how the systems were set up)

Whether those are good things or bad depends on what you like to do, but it's certainly very different to the Sol bubble despite the basic rules of the game being identical.

Edit:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've called Colonia Dream my home for well over a year. I have spent the past 2 months back the core for some intense engineering, but I'm anxious to head back to Colonia.

That's great news for player faction bases....now, if only....

Now if we could just get a handful of engineers out here and make the cost to move ships from the core a bit more reasonable.

Edit:

Long may these differences remain. Making it the same flavour as the bubble would be a bad thing.

I'm not sure what this announcement actually means. As has been mentioned, there have been shipyards in Colonia since the beginning - albeit with a colonial feel, i.e very limited choice in outfitting, and not all ships available. If this anouncemebnt means we'll have better choices and more ships available then this is great, as long as it doesn't turn it into and identical (though smaler) version of the Bubble we already have.

Last edited:
Long may these differences remain. Making it the same flavour as the bubble would be a bad thing.

I'm not sure what this announcement actually means. As has been mentioned, there have been shipyards in Colonia since the beginning - albeit with a colonial feel, i.e very limited choice in outfitting, and not all ships available. If this anouncemebnt means we'll have better choices and more ships available then this is great, as long as it doesn't turn it into and identical (though smaler) version of the Bubble we already have.

It means that all 42 player factions founding systems now have a shipyard and can store all there ships at there home ports and that frontier has not forgotten about colonia.

Top Bottom