Newcomer / Intro Short Q. on Engineering Blueprints

Greetings,

Can you fly to an engineer with a fast small explorer ship build for FSD distance , and then pin a blueprint for a larger ship with a higher class module than the fast small ship can carry?

Reason I am asking because I want to do a Engineers tour to pin blueprints.

Also please ensure that the blueprint indeed pinned. There's a lot of reported cases when after switching ships the blueprint becomes unpinned. To avoid that do log out/log in on the engineers base to check that the blueprint is pinned. If not pin then it again and repeat log out/log in.

Well, just to clarify for others who may read....

I stripped down my ASPx to the bare minimum, hence no hardpoints etc. and went to Tod the Blaster. On arrival, "You do not have any modules I can work with."

Hence I can not Grade canons for my Class 4 FDL cannons without taking the FDL to him... I thought, but here is the way to do it.

I just purchase a multicannon for my ASPx, now he grants me access and asks for the class I wish to grade, I tell him class four and pin the blue print. Bingo!

Also please ensure that the blueprint indeed pinned. There's a lot of reported cases when after switching ships the blueprint becomes unpinned. To avoid that do log out/log in on the engineers base to check that the blueprint is pinned. If not pin then it again and repeat log out/log in.

Did not know that, thanks much!

but here is the way to do it.
Nice trick!
Sometime I buy ship near engineers to mod module with special effects...🙃

There's yet another way: there are two 'tabs':

By default "modify your module" is active, it shows blueprints applicable to your current ship.
"Browse all" allows you to see all engineer's blueprints.

If you want to engineer a huge hardpoint, but the ship you are flying to the engineer doesn't house that size, then you can't engineer it. You have to engineer fitted modules.

Also note that, say, a 2A beam laser can get all it's lovely mods blueprinted and pinned, but if you then want a 2E beam laser engineered remotely, that is a different blueprint.

If you want to engineer a huge hardpoint, but the ship you are flying to the engineer doesn't house that size, then you can't engineer it. You have to engineer fitted modules.

Also note that, say, a 2A beam laser can get all it's lovely mods blueprinted and pinned, but if you then want a 2E beam laser engineered remotely, that is a different blueprint.
Er no it isn’t the blueprints for beam lasers apply to any size or mounting type.

But it is a different blueprint for each modification type.

I stand corrected. I could have sworn I 'printed some size 2 gimballed MC's but when I wanted some size 2 fixed ones, it wouldn't me engineer them remotely :rolleyes:

I stand corrected. I could have sworn I 'printed some size 2 gimballed MC's but when I wanted some size 2 fixed ones, it wouldn't me engineer them remotely :rolleyes:

I believe that is the initial question asked by the eng. "what class". In my case I purchased class 2 MC's because class 4 do not fit in the ASPx, but told the eng. I want class 4. Pinned it with the desired upgrade, in my case long range, and went back to my station 160ly away. On arrival I changed ships, from my ASPx to the FDL, and then I was able to remote engineer class 4 MC's (without experimental as factabulous explained above.)

You are correct - the modification was particular to the type of mount but that changed and you can now apply a pinned weapon blueprint to any variety of mount.

(I don't know when it was changed.)

That being said, I wonder, if you opt for say class 6, can you then get remote eng. class 5 or lower as well, or only class 6.

Geeze, that game is like chemistry, one door closed, three more opened. ;)

That being said, I wonder, if you opt for say class 6, can you then get remote eng. class 5 or lower as well, or only class 6.

Geeze, that game is like chemistry, one door closed, three more opened. ;)

No the class is not relevant. You can go to an engineer, buy a class 1 something - mod it up to G5 and pin the mod - now you can remote engineer any class (size) of that weapon / module with that pinned blueprint.

Thanks Para!

P.S. A 8 million lesson last night, after midly engineering my spanking new FDL, I wanted to put her through the paces and went into a High CZ, lasting an astonishing looooong 30 seconds before a spec ops made me go kaboooom. Rebuy, 8 million, thanks for the fish. LOL

Last edited:
A 8 million lesson last night, after midly engineering my spanking new FDL, I wanted to put her through the paces and went into a High CZ, lasting an astonishing looooong 30 seconds before a spec ops made me go kaboooom. Rebuy, 8 million, thanks for the fish. LOL
lol - not a big fan of working your way up through the difficulty levels are you :) Don't think I'd last long in a High CZ either...

lol - not a big fan of working your way up through the difficulty levels are you :) Don't think I'd last long in a High CZ either...
Hehehe, see I am just getting my hands dirty at the various aspects of this incredibly deep game. So while I succeeded with my Python in a low CZ, I thought well, now with my FDL, why not.... now I know why not. LOL :) I think I remember I read somehwere that spec ops are the top aces of the NPC. Guess when you easily take them apart your combat skills are on a level that you can try open play, I might be wrong though.

Top Bottom