Should Elite Dangerous move towards a free to play model?

"Currently have no plans" does not equal to "Will never...", just sayin' :)
What shocking revelation, that they only make have plans (or not have plans for something), but can not completely rule out things to happen in the future, if the need arises. Perhaps the game remains strong till 2035. Perhaps SC actually at some time releases and ED has to take new steps to keep their player base.

Only time will tell, as my crystal ball for some reason doesn't.

No. They should make CQC free to play, and the base game require a purchase to draw in new players while also making CQC not completely useless.

You can buy it right now for less than 7.5 € to enjoy the grind content, progress bar and timer based gameplay.

Cant get closer to the freetoplay model IMO.
Yes, you can get closer to free to play, 7.5 € closer to be exact.
I am not supporting a F2P model for ED, but please stop trying to water down definitions here.
ED is a B2P game.

Yes, you can get closer to free to play, 7.5 € closer to be exact.
I am not supporting a F2P model for ED, but please stop trying to water down definitions here.
ED is a B2P game.
Buy to play?

Elite is a service and when servers will be down it will vanish. It's not even a buy.

I've read the OP and the OPs responses. Also it is free to play. You buy it, you play for free. :p (joke.... sort of)

It's a no from me. Its on offer ALL the time. One less takeaway in a month and you can buy ED and horizons. It's extremely cheap most of the time.

The game is practically free to play as it is. You can pick up the base game on sale for what? $10? After that you (in theory) don't need to give FD another penny, ever, depending on what you want.

Grab Horizons on sale for another $10? Super!

Next paid expansion comes out, wait a year, grab that on sale! Sorted!

As long as free to play doesn't mean pay to win and all the usual garbage that comes along with F2P, FD can do whatever.

What shocking revelation, that they only make have plans (or not have plans for something), but can not completely rule out things to happen in the future, if the need arises. Perhaps the game remains strong till 2035. Perhaps SC actually at some time releases and ED has to take new steps to keep their player base.

Only time will tell, as my crystal ball for some reason doesn't.
Condescension, much? And all for what was intended to be a little bit of mischief and humourous flippancy - hence the smiley at the end of the post. Hope you enjoyed the time you wasted in your reply - talk about WHOOSH! ;)

Condescension, much? And all for what was intended to be a little bit of mischief and humourous flippancy - hence the smiley at the end of the post. Hope you enjoyed the time you wasted in your reply - talk about WHOOSH! ;)
Hmm, yes. :D

Also aye, i saw the smiley and was pondering it a bit. But it felt too much like like a "doomed, if not now then later" posting to me.

The game is practically free to play as it is. You can pick up the base game on sale for what? $10? After that you (in theory) don't need to give FD another penny, ever, depending on what you want.

Grab Horizons on sale for another $10? Super!

Next paid expansion comes out, wait a year, grab that on sale! Sorted!

As long as free to play doesn't mean pay to win and all the usual garbage that comes along with F2P, FD can do whatever.
Well technicaly, once outside starter system, regardless of skill, one commander having access to the engineer fighting the other from vanilla Elite will win most of the time.

So it can qualify as pay to win as well.

It use to be. It was called Arena, and no one played, and it was discontinued.
Pretty sure it was never free to play. It retailed at $7.49.

A free listing with a big promotional push is something I'm pretty sure they've never tried. (But given the costs involved in the listing + promotion, and the odds that it still might not get traction, can see why they don't :/)

In summer 2020 we are expecting a big new DLC, the size of which we have not seen since Horizons. Possible space legs and base building if the rumours are correct. Therefore we can probably expect frontier to sell this for £20-30, which is essentially the price of a new game.
Expect £40 at launch for new buyers. That's what Horizons was.

And if it sells ok, expect that to continue to be their primary business model ;)

Well technicaly, once outside starter system, regardless of skill, one commander having access to the engineer fighting the other from vanilla Elite will win most of the time.

So it can qualify as pay to win as well.
Yes, Horizons can be seen to be pay to win, and i hope with the release of the new season they will roll Horizons into the base game.

Pretty sure it was never free to play. It retailed at $7.49.

A free listing with a big promotional push is something I'm pretty sure they've never tried. (But given the costs involved in the listing + promotion, and the odds that it still might not get traction, can see why they don't :/)
July 2016, Arena was free for several days and was yours-to-keep if you got it during that promotional period.

It was fairly widely reported in the gaming press at the time. And you are right about the odds on it not getting traction, it didn’t.

I predict we might see the base game permanently dropped to a super-budget price (less than £5) after the next update comes out. And I suspect Horizons will be withdrawn as an independent product, and bundled into the 2020 update (not the base game) for new purchasers. Horizons is already pretty game changing, and if the next update really is a huge addition, it would make good business sense to keep the base game as a cheap "demo" to coax more people into buying a more complete game.

I don't see it going completely free to play, though, judging by Frontier's own comments on the matter.

Top Bottom