Ships Should there be a Type 9/10 Explorer?

It's a criminal offense that the Type 9 and 10 have the best cockpit view and abysmal jump ranges while the Anaconda has the worst view and the best jump range. So maybe a middle ground would be nice like say a Typaconda? Typoconda... 🤔

As for a reason why to do serious exploring in a large ship, well maybe some want to bring back every escape pod they find while exploring. Maybe others want to pick up tonnes of passengers and drop them into distant black holes as a sustainable business (and... have a really good view of it I guess?). Or perhaps bringing back cargo holds full of random space salvage is really appealing to that one person that couldn't stop talking about the three FIRST minutes of Aliens. Personally I keep forgetting to bring the crackers, so I might as well squirrel away a couple extra tonnes whenever I do remember to bring them on board.

Do that thing the Internet does best (point out that this question has been raised 87 times before and I need to start using the Search function 😬). Deploying screen archery distraction limpets!
Type-9-Heavy-Cockpit-Top-View.png

Source:https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Type-9_Heavy

Last edited:
AspX makes a good compromise.

A good explorer need to be rather slender, not a fat pancake like T9/T10
I'd really wish that Anaconda could have 2 bridges and there would be an way to switch to forward one in certain conditions

A good explorer need to be rather slender, not a fat pancake like T9/T10
But imagine finding the perfect round crater to fit your little pancake into, only to realize you can't because your ship looks like a giant mouse cursor.
I'd really wish that Anaconda could have 2 bridges and there would be an way to switch to forward one in certain conditions
That'd be pretty cool too.

So you are saying that long jump range is the only important factor in an exploration ship?

My criteria are: jumps at least 65ly, good view, good SC maneuverability - not necessarily in this order
So AspX wins hands down with DBX, Phantom and Anaconda as close contenders - each of one has some faults that prevents them to be number one in my eyes.

Did you ever try a hauler?

Both the AspX and DBX have excellent cockpit views in my opinion and are also significantly easier to find a landing spot for on top of a mountain.
I have actually flown all of these. Two points, none of these have views as great as the Type 9/10 and none of them are size L.

Also wouldn't it be loverly if the explorer purists among us had some kind of other end goal to work towards besides an Anaconda? Those first discovery payments have got to go somewhere fitting...

My T10 explorer better-safe-than-sorry build has a 46 Ly jump range. That’s far from abysmal IMO.

And I love it just the way it is :) . You can crank it all the way to about 50 if you want no luxury - but I do ;) .

Last edited:
I have actually flown all of these. Two points, none of these have views as great as the Type 9/10 and none of them are size L.

Also wouldn't it be loverly if the explorer purists among us had some kind of other end goal to work towards besides an Anaconda? Those first discovery payments have got to go somewhere fitting...
Wouldn't the end goal of exploration be making the discoveries themselves?

My T10 explorer better-safe-than-sorry build has a 46 Ly jump range. That’s far from abysmal IMO.

And I love it just the way it is :) . You can crank it all the way to about 50 if you want no luxury - but I do ;) .
👍
(Just don't pay any attention to the honking Anacondas as they whirl past you at Plaid Speed 🤭)
Wouldn't the end goal of exploration be making the discoveries themselves?
Shh! Let's not give them any ideas about not paying us... 😬

I imagine the view must seem somewhat comparable (if the fluorescent LAKON sticker on the dashboard doesn't put you off).
Does your T6 has 11 unrestricted compartment rooms like the T9 (T6 has 8)? Can it carry heavy stuff without loosing a lot of its jump range? Can it run ice-cold as the T10? Do you think people in their T7s, Asp Explorers, Asp Scouts, Keelbacks and Kraits should chime in here too just because they have a similar cockpit view - in a thread clearly about T9/T10 as stated in the title?

Last edited:
Top Bottom