Show us your interesting discoveries!

I assumed so, but for me it just wasn't that interesting since I couldn't play around with it much. Anyway, I tried to parse my Journal files and looked at each and every Neutron star I've visited (285 in total, ugh), also those in orbit around black holes. I simply couldn't find it anymore. The closest I've discovered appears to be in [this system]. But with a semi-major axis of 49.1765Ls and an eccentricity of 0.080786, this world simply can't qualify at all. It's just too far away, and meets its periapsis at 45.2Ls, so that's a rather circular orbit as well. Plus it's a gas giant, not the terrestrial world I seem to remember, and that one was also too recent.

Not sure if I've been dreaming or whatever... To test my parsing, I looked for a class IV gas giant on a very eccentric orbit around a class M star I've found 1 or 2 weeks ago, and it appears I [found that one] just fine. Comes as close as 3.6Ls to its star.

So I thought, maybe I'd mistaken that Neutron star for a white dwarf? Quite unlikely, but hey... Even after inspecting all white dwarfs I've discovered however, I could only come up with [this] - disappointing.

So it appears I have to retract the statement about that close orbiter. I simply can't prove it. Since I'm not usually prone to sudden hallucinations (;)) I wonder whether I could've somehow misinterpreted something. But I wouldn't know how.

Recent discovery on the way to the core.
B class Supergiant and collection of T tauri stars. Do not recall hitting one of these before.
3UECZfG.png

An older one from forgotten bookmark I checked out while in the area once more.
Neutron and five Water worlds.
CFhb23k.png

So it appears I have to retract the statement about that close orbiter. I simply can't prove it. Since I'm not usually prone to sudden hallucinations (;)) I wonder whether I could've somehow misinterpreted something. But I wouldn't know how.

Use EDDiscovery's csv export option, then you can easily list objects by order of eccentricity.

Thanks for the hint, I'll do that (if I don't forget...)!

Meanwhile, a hot "Jupiter". This is a class V gas giant orbiting a class M star at 0.01au (roughly at an eccentricity of ~0.2):

elite-114-hotjupiter.jpg
That's pretty close...

On that screenshot, my ship was sitting at the same distance from both bodies, 4.18Ls to the gas giant and 4.18Ls to the star, to visualize the actual difference in size. The red dwarf isn't all that much bigger...

Edit: Also, the planet was illuminated by two stars, pretty much exactly from the front and the back. Elite seems to mess up the lighting completely in such situations... Both stars were more than close enough, so the planet should've been all bright with no shade. Instead, we get some weird glitches like that ring of light, and when flying close to the planet, the shadows move with the player's position... It seems multiple light sources really don't work at all in this game?

Nice find! Do you have any screenshots of the ELW by any means? Maybe with a good view on the gas giant too? Probably looks awesome from within the ELW's ring system...

Nice find! Do you have any screenshots of the ELW by any means? Maybe with a good view on the gas giant too? Probably looks awesome from within the ELW's ring system...
Alas, only this one, the lighting conditions weren't favorable when I was in the system.
3rings_elm.jpg
I'll pop in again at some point, maybe I manage to grab better screenies then.

Edit: Also, the planet was illuminated by two stars, pretty much exactly from the front and the back. Elite seems to mess up the lighting completely in such situations... Both stars were more than close enough, so the planet should've been all bright with no shade. Instead, we get some weird glitches like that ring of light, and when flying close to the planet, the shadows move with the player's position... It seems multiple light sources really don't work at all in this game?

Yeah, the lighting model in Elite is broken when it comes to multiple light sources (you'll note it also can't do ring shadows on planets, or lunar eclipses on planets) - though if you look at light reflections on the hull it does handle multiple light sources there. I think it's down to how it uses surface tiles on planets or something.

Looks like a new record to me too. The database has two others with 11, one of which is an error (contains stars that don't belong to it), and the other is in the bubble with a lot of duplicates. The ones with more than 11 are just as erroneous, for the same reasons.

I've found a binary pair of Earthlike planets orbiting 4 stars. But that was a while ago. Recently I found a ringed waterworld with 3 moons, 2 of them are binary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom