Show us your interesting discoveries!

Nothing too special here, I think but I found this interesting neverthless. Here you see a gas giant, orbitted by a smaller ring, then orbitted by two moons (those two glowing orbs there south of the gas giant) then orbitted by more rings on top.
I7KNb3Y
I7KNb3Y.jpg

In this, I noticed whatever body that is present here, targetted on my screen didn't had a line showing it's orbit around it's star. Upon closer inspection I found out that there are two planets here that are in orbit around each other very very closely, but then again, they didn't display a line of orbit around the star, being stationary there
orKPjq4.jpg
orKPjq4

These two are from one of the darkest piece of dustball I've set my landing gear upon.
Oe02nPm
Oe02nPm.jpg
0h4uCzI.jpg
0h4uCzI
9hIkvfe
9hIkvfe.jpg

Bonus pic. LOL. Just... just. eh.
YNBOivb
YNBOivb.jpg

I'd just found an L dwarf that should collide every ~7.2 hours with an M star due to it's close elliptical orbit:

Will do some screenshots (and maybe a video) of the collision in a couple hours :D

I think you'll find that they don't collide. The larger star will move in its orbit to always keep the same spacing.

Cheers,
Mark

I'd just found an L dwarf that should collide every ~7.2 hours with an M star due to it's close elliptical orbit:

The second screenshot is making it look like they're co-orbiting a barycenter in the middle, and the orbits are mostly circular, so their distance will probably remain fairly consistent. But it could also just be the angle the picture, so you'll have to let us know if they do make contact. :)

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Oh yeah, another discovery of mine that had an interesting story, but was not interesting enough on its own to submit in the GMP.
There's a real planetary nebula called the Little Gem nebula, only some 6,000 ly out from the bubble, but well off the plane: a bit over 1800 ly below it. Was quite difficult to reach at the time. Some time after we got FSD boost synthesis, I went there hoping to be the first to reach it, although I assumed that would be unlikely. I ended up approaching it from a less-than-optimal angle, where the stars were even more sparse, but after a short while, I started coming across untagged systems close enough to it. So I was excited when the final boosted jump targeted the nebula's system itself... only to see that all it had were two stars, both of which were already tagged.

A bit dejected, I thought I'd search the surrounding systems instead. Not that there were many, just a couple. At the first one I jumped to, I noted that it was untagged, so the nebula's discoverer probably hurried back instead of looking around a bit. Well, I did so, and my next jump, to Little Gem Sector HR-W d1-0, revealed a system that had a nice assortment of bodies... including an Earth-like world. Untagged, to boot. So if the Commander who first tagged the nebula weren't in a hurry, they could have gotten their name on that too. As it stands, I was the one to do so , and left some planets for others. MattG came upon it later (not intentionally), and he tagged the rest.
The planet itself is not special in any way though, save perhaps for that it was AFAIK the first ELW reported that could only be reached with boost synthesis.

Oh, and here's a screenshot I guess. Just the system map view of the Earth-like.

Last edited:
One of my bucket-list items since I started playing was to find an undiscovered planetary nebula (well, actually supernova remnant, since the game mixes up the terminology on this). I found one in June last year, about 3 kly northeast of Colonia. A bit lucky, I think, since there was a whole group of them there (maybe a half dozen) and all of them had been discovered and tagged except this one. Since it's generally in the direction of the core and Beagle Point, it's a well travelled area. Of those other pre-discovered planetary nebulae, one of the others was mostly untagged, but the rest were completely tagged.

Being the only untagged one in the group, this became mine. It's in the GMP as Azure Respite. Consists of a black hole and a small secondary star system.

2017-10-23%2021-51-10%20Dumbio%20AK-Z%20d6367.jpg

2017-06-17%2003-55-35%20Colonia.jpg

2017-06-17%2002-18-35%20Dumbio%20YO-A%20e308.jpg

2017-10-23%2021-27-15%20Dumbio%20EA-X%20c2-169.jpg

Oh yeah, another discovery of mine that had an interesting story, but was not interesting enough on its own to submit in the GMP.
There's a real planetary nebula called the Little Gem nebula, only some 6,000 ly out from the bubble, but well off the plane: a bit over 1800 ly below it. Was quite difficult to reach at the time. Some time after we got FSD boost synthesis, I went there hoping to be the first to reach it, although I assumed that would be unlikely. I ended up approaching it from a less-than-optimal angle, where the stars were even more sparse, but after a short while, I started coming across untagged systems close enough to it. So I was excited when the final boosted jump targeted the nebula's system itself... only to see that all it had were two stars, both of which were already tagged.

A bit dejected, I thought I'd search the surrounding systems instead. Not that there were many, just a couple. At the first one I jumped to, I noted that it was untagged, so the nebula's discoverer probably hurried back instead of looking around a bit. Well, I did so, and my next jump, to Little Gem Sector HR-W d1-0, revealed a system that had a nice assortment of bodies... including an Earth-like world. Untagged, to boot. So if the Commander who first tagged the nebula weren't in a hurry, they could have gotten their name on that too. As it stands, I was the one to do so , and left some planets for others. MattG came upon it later (not intentionally), and he tagged the rest.
The planet itself is not special in any way though, save perhaps for that it was AFAIK the first ELW reported that could only be reached with boost synthesis.

Oh, and here's a screenshot I guess. Just the system map view of the Earth-like.

When I visited the Little Gem Nebula the route plotter showed its skills, I was swearing there was no way it'd plot all the way down there but it did, albeit, in a very twisted fashion.

On my way from Ceos to Lembava and messing with the Gallactic map, I randomly selected Robigo.

It is an Empire/Anarchy sys with 5 planets that have pristine rocky and icy rings, plus 18 landabul moons.

Robigo has 1 main station and 2 outposts. The most beautiful part of the sys in my opinion is Hauser’s Reach station that orbits right above Robigo 2 rings. This would be minors heaven not mentioning the fabulous view of the planet when entering and exiting the station.

Upon arrival, I found dozens of imperial planetary scan missions offered by the only imperial faction there. Actually, only 3 factions in the station. Those missions are executed in the sys and scattered across its moons. Took me about 2 hours to finish them. Wasn’t tagged as wanted, and even if I was, there is an IF in the sys, so no problem. Didn’t get more missions after that :(

Robigo, is indeed a sys that worths visiting if you haven’t yet, especially if you are into mining.

A couple more nice ones. Still had the bookmarks for these which makes a change.

Neutron and 3 White Dwarfs
ysv44rr.png

Seeing this makes me think it'd look so much cooler if this was shown to the same scale. The planets would be about the same size as the White Dwarfs, and the NS would be about 500-1000 times smaller (about half a pixel across!)

Seeing this makes me think it'd look so much cooler if this was shown to the same scale. The planets would be about the same size as the White Dwarfs, and the NS would be about 500-1000 times smaller (about half a pixel across!)
The WD's are ~10.000 km across (670k km×0.015) so the planets are probably far smaller (but hard to say as they haven't been scanned for eddb). And neutronstars are somewhat strange in ED: They have zero (?) radius but according to wikipedia a typical NS should have around 0.01 solar radius, just a little smaller than a white dwarf. (And when i'm guessing based on the SC speed near both of them, i would tend to think that neutronstar radius not displayed in ED is a bug. They're definitly not 100-1000 times smaller than WDs)

I think ED displays sizes with a logarithmic scale, at least i have rarely seen systems with planets almost the size of the star and you can easily identify these in the systemmap.

Last edited:
according to wikipedia a typical NS should have around 0.01 solar radius, just a little smaller than a white dwarf.

That's not quite right. At 0.01 solar radius, it would have a radius of over 6,000 km, but Neutron Stars are only about 20 km across. They're just barely able to stay above their Schwarzschild Radius, and thus not turn into black holes.

The first paragraph on Wikipedia mentions they have a radius of about 10 km. That's about 0.000014 solar radius. :)

Last edited:
That's not quite right. At 0.01 solar radius, it would have a radius of over 6,000 km, but Neutron Stars are only about 20 km across. They're just barely able to stay above their Schwarzschild Radius, and thus not turn into black holes.

The first paragraph on Wikipedia mentions they have a radius of about 10 km. That's about 0.000014 solar radius. :)

ups my bad. How the hell did i manage to missread 10km for 10k km :S

The WD's are ~10.000 km across (670k km×0.015) so the planets are probably far smaller (but hard to say as they haven't been scanned for eddb). And neutronstars are somewhat strange in ED: They have zero (?) radius but according to wikipedia a typical NS should have around 0.01 solar radius, just a little smaller than a white dwarf. (And when i'm guessing based on the SC speed near both of them, i would tend to think that neutronstar radius not displayed in ED is a bug. They're definitly not 100-1000 times smaller than WDs)

Neutron stars are about 15-20 km across in reality - in the game they seem to be between 15 and 26 km diameter (that's the size range of the 300 or so neutron stars that I've found - the exact radius can be found in the journal logs/EDDiscovery reports).

WDs are supposed to be around earth-sized in reality - in the game they're between 13000 km diameter (earth-sized) and 30,000 km diameter (about 2/3rds the size of Neptune). So OK, those planets probably aren't the same size as the WDs but they're comparable - 1/4 to 1/2 the size of the stars so they still should be drawn a bit bigger relative if the WDs were kept at their current size on the map.

Just a note that, FDev do appear to have got the Roche limit completely fine with their twin worlds. Its related to the ratio of densities the primary planets radius and the distance between centres.

Most of the time when they have these super close twin planets, they are placed somewhere between the liquid and solid Roche Limit, which is completely fine for high density objects such as those. Where it becomes problematic is for large low density objects, like lets say you have a metal rich planet, with a icy body orbiting it super close. the distance for the Roche Limit region is much further out, than if the icy body was replaced with something of equal density.

If any of that makes sense...

shameless plug below :D

[video=youtube;3j4gWZjDV-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4gWZjDV-U[/video]

Top Bottom