Silly fleet carrier question

Yea a lot of people forget not everyone has 8 billion lying about...
Some are just derping about in a sidewinder and still learning the game.
For late game people it would be a carrier but hey for a starting person that hasn't even seen an A rated fsd for the sidey its a different story. Guess you can always ask a friend who owns a carrier to carry you about?

8 billion credits might not seem like a lot for people who have played Elite for a long time, but it is a very high amount for casuals or people who don't like to do mining.

I just started Painite mining a few weeks ago to start saving credits for a Carrier. I have about 1.2 billion right now, and if I go mining once per week for 2 hours to fill my Type-9's 256 ton cargo bay (I use the other class 8 for biweaves... maybe a mistake), that will get me approximately 200 million credits per trip, bringing my total to around 4-5 billion by the time Carriers arrive (assuming I might go more or less than once a week occasionally).

Might not seem like it if you're the type of miner who does back-to-back, brain tumor inducing mining runs... but that's a lot of mining.

I guess if they end up costing... let's say.. 10 plus billion credits.. I'll just have to continue my pace for a few more months.

.... but that's still a lot of mining.
With passenger carrying in Ceos and Sothis, I could raise 8 billion in a matter of months.

There is not a chance in the world they will cost more than 2bn. Personally I'm going for 1.2 to 1.5bn. This is easily justifiable as it's like the difference in cost between say, a top of the range personal watercraft (small yacht) and a container ship. The yacht is, for example representing a fully decked out cutter, and the container ship represents the fleet carrier obviously. These two costs in real life are about the same for what I consider to be scale equivalents (around $10m). One is simply a whole different scale of usability, technology and ergonomics and the other is RIDONCULOUSLY far bigger and could store 20 of the other. Size does not equal cost. So based on that, a fully decked out Cutter is 1bn, so the fleet carrier should be around that figure, too.

Last edited:
Yea a lot of people forget not everyone has 8 billion lying about...

My CMDR has grossed about 5 billion in income in 6500 hours of play time.

I'd still consider this to be a bit on the low side of ideal for a fleet carrier. Of course, my idea of ideal would drive most players to dispair, possibly suicide as it would involved ten bliion credit, uninsurable, completely persistent, and destructible, fleet carriers....precisely for the purpose of bankrupting as many CMDRs as rapidly as possible so that the economy could be implemented/corrected.

There is not a chance in the world they will cost more than 2bn. This is easily justifiable as it's like the difference in cost between say, a top of the range personal watercraft (small yacht) and a container ship. The yacht is, for example representing a fully decked out cutter, and the container ship represents the fleet carrier obviously. These two costs in real life are about the same for what I consider to be scale equivalents (around $10m). One is simply a whole different scale of usability and ergonomics and the other is RIDONCULOUSLY far bigger and could store 20 of the other. Size does not equal cost. So based on that, a fully decked out Cutter is 1bn, so the fleet carrier should be around that figure, too.

While I also expect fleet carriers to be entirely too accessible, I don't agree with your analogy.

A container ship is a big floating box with an engine. A carrier is a complex mobile air base and command-control facility that can indepenently support an entire air wing (or small fleet, in this case) for protracted periods of time. Size also heavily imples cost, when the overall technologies and quality is similar.

A cutter is also not the equivalent of a small yatch. An FDL is the equivalent of a small luxury yatch. A cutter is a mega yacht or small frigate.

While I also expect fleet carriers to be entirely too accessible, I don't agree with your analogy.

A container ship is a big floating box with an engine. A carrier is a complex mobile air base and command-control facility that can indepenently support an entire air wing (or small fleet, in this case) for protracted periods of time. Size also heavily imples cost, when the overall technologies and quality is similar.

A cutter is also not the equivalent of a small yatch. An FDL is the equivalent of a small luxury yatch. A cutter is a mega yacht or small frigate.
Hm...

A container ship is a lot more than a floating box with an engine, but ok, even if I give you that, you've then kinda gone with the same equivalence, in fact while you increased the cost of the carrier several factors in the comparison, you then increased the yacht equivalent cost by even more factors. My takeaway from your post is that you also think that the cutter and carrier costs will be (and could reasonably be justified to be) roughly similar, all things considered? Cos I don't think what we have in the Elite Fleet Carrier is remotely comparable to what constitutes a battle ready modern aircraft carrier with 50 warbirds on board as we have today, that would be going too far the other way.

So was CCP dumb to develop Titans when there were only something like a thousand built over the course of four years compared to the few hundred thousand active players?

But, I agree with your implication, I expect that the "large" amount will not seem that large to the dedicated and fully metagamed credit-grinders, but will take some specific effort for us filthy casuals.

So was CCP dumb to develop Titans when there were only something like a thousand built over the course of four years compared to the few hundred thousand active players?

But, I agree with your implication, I expect that the "large" amount will not seem that large to the dedicated and fully metagamed credit-grinders, but will take some specific effort for us filthy casuals.
Even though I would like to maybe buy a Carrier at some point, I think you make a very good point.
Over the ten years I played Eve Online, CCP consistently underestimated the amount of time and effort groups of players are willing to devote to either achieving strategic goals or obtaining the biggest/best shiny stuff.
Titans were supposed to take months of concerted effort by 100's or 1000's of players to build - it took a few weeks iirc (possibly less), as did many other features POSs etc.
If Frontier make Carriers too easy to acquire, the organised groups will get them almost instantly, as will "rich" individuals and that will be another feature/piece of content consumed. The wait then begins for the next feature/piece with all the usual noise/salt that accompany that on social media...

Better a compromise for everyone than arbitrarily restricted, IMO.

The ability to grant other CMDRs landing permission caters to the multi-player side of things. The fact that each CMDR can acquire one means that Squadrons are not limited to a single Carrier.
Naaaaa. Rather implemented vision than half baked compromises that fail to deliver anything of value.

Just wait till the permissions is based on your friends list, and doesnt have a "All Squardon Members" option.

As a self proclaimed filthy casual, what would your reaction be if FDev went with between 1 and 1.5bn? I'm honestly curious.

It currently costs around Cr1.5bn to transfer a fully-loaded Cutter/Corvette to Colonia.

I wonder what people would be willing to pay for a ride on a Carrier, how long it'd take, and how easy it'd be to pay?

Just thinking out loud......

As a self proclaimed filthy casual, what would your reaction be if FDev went with between 1 and 1.5bn? I'm honestly curious.

Idk. I never really thought I'd have one of the "big three", but I've been flying a mixed bag of missions in an Anaconda recently after taking off for a year long break and I've been enjoying it. I won't be grinding to get one on release if that's what you're asking.

Idk. I never really thought I'd have one of the "big three", but I've been flying a mixed bag of missions in an Anaconda recently after taking off for a year long break and I've been enjoying it. I won't be grinding to get one on release if that's what you're asking.
Thanks. No I was more concerned with whether you would consider it reasonably priced or prohibitively expensive at such a price.

I don't think it would be prohibitively expensive... but I really don't know... they keep making it easier to get money because so many people won't shut up about the grind so who knows. Heck, I am tempted to grind out some deep core mining and pack away some credits...

Of course - or a cadre of altCMDRs.

However the question was what would a player do - presumably with a single CMDR.
I would bring all my ships withe me so I can do whatever I want to. I have ships for specific roles. I could keep stuff for transport and other thigns to do mission for station or whatever. Assuming the carrier can't do this on it's own somehow.

Maybe new missions will exist and we can farry NPC ships like we carry NPC's to destinations. Whole new mission types could exist. If we can hook up missions from stations and whatnot there could be a lot of new things to grind. I wonder if I could fill my ship with ships with people transport and fill them all with transport missions. Might mess with the balance though. Maybe stuff to get large volumes of ships and hence people to long distance things like colonia or new colonization. maybe that is part fo the release. New places in the void being colonized to counter the supposed thargoid threat.

I'm hoping the core ship is only around 500m and the upgrades are expensive. I don't want to grind mining or other things before I get my ship bought fundamentally. I'd rather grind with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom