Silly GalNet Article "Aegis Responds to Concern over Thargoid Incursions"

As if we didn't need another example of missed opportunities, look upon this week's CG and despair. With all the major issues facing the core worlds, and all the low-hanging opportunities for Elite Dangerous narrative advancement... THIS slave-trade-prison-ship CG is what we independent pilots are offered as a suggestion for our focus this week?

Really? AYFKM?

Good gawd, who's putting these iron-shackle restraints on the story & narrative team? Or the community management staff? Because it's hard to imagine this being the first (or second, or eighth) choice of anyone who really cared about this game world's evolution, or player/pilots accumulating a narrative that wedded them more firmly into the game. SMH.

This is the only way FDev is willing or capable of doing "narrative" just watched the squadron focused feedback stream and they said there will be no new missions tied to the add in. It was strongly implied, in my impression, that GUI stuff is basically all they can do and missions and new gameplay additions like that are too much work.

So this is it really, its about as much as we can hope for, same old boring cg turnabout. No crisis or shake-up of any kind that cant be done and later undone in server downtime once a week. This is the game, I think i'm starting to realize it.

Admiral Aden Tanner, chief military liaison for Aegis, directly addressed these concerns:

“Reports that the Thargoids are encroaching upon the core systems en masse are grossly overstated. Although they have crossed the threshold, all we have seen so far are localised incidents in fringe systems. This is not a full-scale invasion, and it does not warrant large fleet movements of the kind that have been suggested.”

“Rest assured: the enemy is contained. There is no need for panic. Courageous independent pilots, armed with Aegis technology, are doing a superb job at halting the Thargoids’ progress. It’s to be expected that we suffer occasional losses in this conflict, but these do not indicate an impending catastrophe.”

You know, I also think we should have Admiral Aden Tanner removed as head of AEGIS. I'm not satisfied with the "nothing to see here" answer we got in this report.

We need someone who will be proactive and aggressively work to deter the Thargoids progress into the core worlds. This response is a purely reactive one and when it comes time that the Thargoids shift from scouting and small incursions to full scale invasion, we will be caught flat footed with our fleets out of position. The incompetence of command ( and the writing staff) is staggering.

Last edited:
This is the only way FDev is willing or capable of doing "narrative" just watched the squadron focused feedback stream and they said there will be no new missions tied to the add in. It was strongly implied, in my impression, that GUI stuff is basically all they can do and missions and new gameplay additions like that are too much work.

So this is it really, its about as much as we can hope for, same old boring cg turnabout. No crisis or shake-up of any kind that cant be done and later undone in server downtime once a week. This is the game, I think i'm starting to realize it.

I think it's partially a symptom of an unfortunately insufficient revenue model for this type of online game, in this kind of niche genre. But that's fixable if it's caught in time.

There's this scene in the movie "As Good As It Gets" where jack Nicholson's character comes out of a (rejected) meeting with his Psychologist, looks at the waiting room of patients waiting for their appointments, and asks, "What if this is as good as it gets?" One patient just goes, "Unh..." like he took a gut punch, and you see all the air sucked out of the room. That's what you just did. ;-)

But seriously, the worst part of what you've relayed isn't that there won't be major new, integrated storylines. It's that (I believe) there is enough structure in place to let players do a LOT themselves, to generate really interesting storylines (mostly) within the game's existing mechanisms, if Frontier would just get out of the way instead of actively putting barriers to the players' enjoyment in front of every piece of content and seemingly every design decision they make (engineering and C&P changes notwithstanding -- I think they did a pretty good job with those). It's an equation (content cost per hour of player consumption * participating player base < revenues generated) that never works without the multiplier of integrated community support (from community managers absolutely immersed in the game and the community).

Youtuber Ricardo from Ricardo's Gaming just released this video basically making light of the same stuff we are talking in here about that galnet article. The end being the best part if you can get past the mispronouncing of AEGIS ;) but yeah. we aren't the only ones who noticed how... lame... this article was.

[video=youtube;L8esKq2DwFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8esKq2DwFY[/video]

Last time I saw a thargoid was way back in the day whilst in hyperspace (class '84). It didn't end well for me. I saw a vid on YouTube showing someone doing a rescue at an attacked station. Blown away by it, fantastic, but way beyond me and my at the time sidewinder.

So looking at the map it seems that there is a line of attacked stations pointing...straight at the heart of the bubble! Sooner or later the proverbial will hit the fan right?

I hope to be able to see some of this happen but I started to wonder what will happen when my 'home' station with all my ships in gets smashed to pieces? I only have beginner ships as I'm still grinding for cash for a python/FAS/FDL.

Will my ship insurance pay out for a destroyed ship if I'm not in it. Definitely can't afford to buy let alone kit out a centurion yet. Things are going to get interesting though.

Powderpanic

Banned
As long as Humanity avoids dropping into the clearly identifiable Thargoid USS's, the galaxy will continue to remain boring/safe/empty/zzzzz

Powderpanic
The Voice of Griefing

Top Bottom