Silly GalNet Article "Aegis Responds to Concern over Thargoid Incursions"

So the GalNet Article today seemed to be yet another attempt to "further" the sadly underbaked Thargoid-invasion bolt-on narrative. If somehow you missed it, you can read it here.

In the article, one anxious Councillor, Rasmus Tseng, does some dramatic hand wringing, finishing his quote with: "The Thargoids have been striking at starports in the region one by one, and nobody is able to stop them! Why are the powers doing so little?”

We should ask: Why can't someone just buy this Guardian tech at this point? That we can't is indefensibly inane.

[Tl;dr rant]
We should, collectively, ask those governing the Core Worlds marketplaces the same thing. [cough]Frontier[/cough]?

It's inane articles like this one, with its "alien-invasion" disconnect and the lack of weapons being made easily accessible to independent pilots interested in fighting Thargoids that COMPLETELY spoils our ability to continue treating this game's scenario evolution seriously no matter how much we might want to. Frontier somehow continues to see no W-T-F game management disconnect in continuing to ask us to role play participation in a bubble of space encompassing over 20,000 systems and more than 66,000 starports, stations, and outposts -- almost all with some variant of market, modules, and ships for sale driving their capitalist economies -- but an ongoing absence of any single, simple seller of the functioning Guardian tech that makes taking on Thargoid interceptors MUCH more accessible, and cost-effective (perhaps even profitable!) for many pilots.

We're asked to somehow believe that amongst those billions of people running businesses in the bubble, the fiction that NOT ONE enterprising soul has managed to put an operation together that enables any pilot who wants to fight Thargoids to simply go BUY the best equipment, the best tech known to man (Guardian tech, not that kludgy AX crud). No, with the fate of humanity supposedly in the balance, EVERY PILOT must STILL fly 800-1100ly, only to trundle around repetitively solving boring puzzles in what may be the most absolutely undistinguished game play mechanism ever bolted into an online game?

We're to continue accepting that NOT ONE enterprising (NPC) soul has been able to figure out how to market completed modules for sale (at ANY price)? Really?

After all this time, during this agonizingly slow, inexorable advance of a relentless alien race for whom only one effective response is even contemplated in the game, that one huge "ask" takes this whole Thargoid invasion schtick beyond half-baked and pushes it over into fully ridiculous.
[/Tl;dr rant]

Look, I loudly applaud those first brilliant pilots who figured out the Guardian clues, and those who found the first sites. And I applaud those who were the first to figure out the Guardian puzzle, and those who went out of their way to share the solutions with others.

I'll even applaud those who completed the Guardian quest by Ram Tah -- their stick-to-it-tiveness earns even them an attaboy. Even when the reward was 200M credits, I was still so bored by the process that I bailed about 25% of the way through my second set of ruins. That stuff is just not fun for me -- and I'm not alone.

I'll even put out a slow golf clap for those who wanted to be the first to get Guardian tech so badly that they were willing to jump through Frontier's hoops to do so. And perhaps even a longer golf clap for those who were still willing to do it, even after Frontier made an already odious process even more so.

But they've all had their weapons for some time now. They got their content-derived achievement drip of dopamine.

Now enough is enough. Give the rest of us, those who absolutely refuse to spend any more time pedaling a tiresome SRV around some distant world, some way to purchase this tech without having to do that inexcusable grind over, and over, and over...

Because, yeah, we can kill interceptors with that sadly ineffective AX stuff rolled out way back when, but that makes no sense when, in any logical world, someone SHOULD be able to acquire better equipment without being blocked by a transparently artificial game mechanism that makes NO SENSE within the game world.

I cant help but agree OP, good points were made.

basically the quoted individual from the article sums it up:

“For months now, communities in the core systems have been living in a state of fear, wondering which will be the next to be targeted. The Thargoids have been striking at star ports in the region one by one, and nobody is able to stop them! Why are the powers doing so little? Where are our defenses, our fleets? Surely the core systems cannot be so vulnerable?”

Where is the opposition? I don't get what Frontier wants us to feel right now... what motivation are they trying to give us? Something is not going right with this narrative.

“For months now, communities in the core systems have been living in a state of fear, wondering which will be the next to be targeted. The Thargoids have been striking at star ports in the region one by one, and nobody is able to stop them! Why are the powers doing so little? Where are our defenses, our fleets? Surely the core systems cannot be so vulnerable?”

Where is the opposition? I don't get what Frontier wants us to feel right now... what motivation are they trying to give us? Something is not going right with this narrative.

Frontier wants you to grind.
Grind to save the galaxy !

Deleted member 38366

D
I'd have to agree if neither

SuperPowers
Powers
Factions
NPCs (System Authority/Defense Force/Civilians)
Economies
Population

take the Thargoid "invasion" serious... How would CMDRs see them as a Threat, short of directly hopping into and messing around with a hot BGS or PowerPlay area and forcing their hand?
So far, I followed suit - do as they do, not as they say - and it worked very well.

That kinda results in somewhat of a "Xeno Apathy" obviously, but that's how it goes *shrugs*
Personally I see it becoming yet another, isolated "Gameplay Tourist attraction" like CQC or any other activity. I've flown a few PAX out of cooking Stations for what it's worth, but that didn't entertain long to stay on the ride.

So for the time being : Everything is awesome(tm)

PS.
I remember DB making his famous statement "Winter is coming". I think that was 2 years ago.
Well, right now it's entering Summertime for me and it's quite hot outside.
See you in 6 months maybe...
(I still remember folks were joking "He didn't say which year! xD " ... Guess back then noone realized that joke was for real)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd even be thrilled to support a Community Goal that somehow tied the deployment of a "special" Guardian Tech Broker starport -- even if it was the only one in the bubble -- into the deployment of this capability. Frankly, I don't even care what the completed Guardian tech (or even the Guardian blueprints and mats that are required) costs (in credits and/or *normally available* materials, or some combination of the two). Between Ram Tah and the guardian artifacts CGs, I just refuse to trundle around a single other Guardian site. Ever.

Well I hope the nothing-to-see-here is part of the story, but this article feels like FD weaving we-didn't-do-anything into the story because they-didn't-do-anything. It's not a bug it's a feature!

I have to agree with the Op here.
I mean I love this game, I really love this game, but this whole “storyline” is just utter nonsense.
Poorly executed nonsense!

I had a wall of text thread a few days ago that I wrote about Thargoids, the previous war, mycoid virus and why we aren't having a proper realistic response to the Thargoid incursion if anybody cares to read more.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/425085-Thargoids-INRA-mycoid-virus-first-Thargoid-invasion-war-and-the-present

For me, it comes down to where did all the mycoid go? did we forget everything from our past war? Why do we not have defenses in place?

Give me some mycoid torpedoes and a cobra mk3 and I will proudly Jameson an end to this war right now...

So the GalNet Article today seemed to be yet another attempt to "further" the sadly underbaked Thargoid-invasion bolt-on narrative. If somehow you missed it, you can read it here.

In the article, one anxious Councillor, Rasmus Tseng, does some dramatic hand wringing, finishing his quote with: "The Thargoids have been striking at starports in the region one by one, and nobody is able to stop them! Why are the powers doing so little?”

We should ask: Why can't someone just buy this Guardian tech at this point? That we can't is indefensibly inane.

[Tl;dr rant]
We should, collectively, ask those governing the Core Worlds marketplaces the same thing. [cough]Frontier[/cough]?

It's inane articles like this one, with its "alien-invasion" disconnect and the lack of weapons being made easily accessible to independent pilots interested in fighting Thargoids that COMPLETELY spoils our ability to continue treating this game's scenario evolution seriously no matter how much we might want to. Frontier somehow continues to see no W-T-F game management disconnect in continuing to ask us to role play participation in a bubble of space encompassing over 20,000 systems and more than 66,000 starports, stations, and outposts -- almost all with some variant of market, modules, and ships for sale driving their capitalist economies -- but an ongoing absence of any single, simple seller of the functioning Guardian tech that makes taking on Thargoid interceptors MUCH more accessible, and cost-effective (perhaps even profitable!) for many pilots.

We're asked to somehow believe that amongst those billions of people running businesses in the bubble, the fiction that NOT ONE enterprising soul has managed to put an operation together that enables any pilot who wants to fight Thargoids to simply go BUY the best equipment, the best tech known to man (Guardian tech, not that kludgy AX crud). No, with the fate of humanity supposedly in the balance, EVERY PILOT must STILL fly 800-1100ly, only to trundle around repetitively solving boring puzzles in what may be the most absolutely undistinguished game play mechanism ever bolted into an online game?

We're to continue accepting that NOT ONE enterprising (NPC) soul has been able to figure out how to market completed modules for sale (at ANY price)? Really?

After all this time, during this agonizingly slow, inexorable advance of a relentless alien race for whom only one effective response is even contemplated in the game, that one huge "ask" takes this whole Thargoid invasion schtick beyond half-baked and pushes it over into fully ridiculous.
[/Tl;dr rant]

Look, I loudly applaud those first brilliant pilots who figured out the Guardian clues, and those who found the first sites. And I applaud those who were the first to figure out the Guardian puzzle, and those who went out of their way to share the solutions with others.

I'll even applaud those who completed the Guardian quest by Ram Tah -- their stick-to-it-tiveness earns even them an attaboy. Even when the reward was 200M credits, I was still so bored by the process that I bailed about 25% of the way through my second set of ruins. That stuff is just not fun for me -- and I'm not alone.

I'll even put out a slow golf clap for those who wanted to be the first to get Guardian tech so badly that they were willing to jump through Frontier's hoops to do so. And perhaps even a longer golf clap for those who were still willing to do it, even after Frontier made an already odious process even more so.

But they've all had their weapons for some time now. They got their content-derived achievement drip of dopamine.

Now enough is enough. Give the rest of us, those who absolutely refuse to spend any more time pedaling a tiresome SRV around some distant world, some way to purchase this tech without having to do that inexcusable grind over, and over, and over...

Because, yeah, we can kill interceptors with that sadly ineffective AX stuff rolled out way back when, but that makes no sense when, in any logical world, someone SHOULD be able to acquire better equipment without being blocked by a transparently artificial game mechanism that makes NO SENSE within the game world.

Well, some people, real ones, have a lot of time to play the game. Perhaps if FD gave us some way of transferring modules between players- for cash, or different modules more to our chosing, say- then we could sort this need out for ourselves? Might be worth making some suggestions over on that part of the board to try and get things moving.

As things stand, the fluff logic (do computer gamers use 'lore' these days? :S) satisfies me. Only a tiny number of very well clued up individuals have the contacts and the know how to get access to the very limited amount of alien tech currently in human hands. That'll be us nefarious members of the famous/infamous Pilots Federation! [hotas]

I fully expect to see bug killing weapons go on general sale at some point, but I also expect to see the bubble absolutely wrecked first. The story is moving forward fairly slowly, the cool stuff is arriving in drips and drabs. It took us three years just to get an Alliance warship! I wouldn't be holding my breath for any sudden changes...

I mean I love this game, I really love this game, but this whole “storyline” is just utter nonsense. Poorly executed nonsense!

As someone who REALLY dove into this game (after years of resistance), the thing that just gnaws at me now is the huge untapped potential. And I really see the community folks trying. And I've had great experience with the support staff (I've worked in both areas in an online game company and know how hard that can be).

But it's just agonizing to see such clear disconnects between the community folks and those driving the narrative, and the actual implementation. I don't even think we're asking for much -- just the BASICS of a game/story that's at least a LITTLE internally consistent and logical. That's storytelling 101!

I had a wall of text thread a few days ago that I wrote about Thargoids, the previous war, mycoid virus and why we aren't having a proper realistic response to the Thargoid incursion if anybody cares to read more.

Read it, and agree. And (if I'm not mistaken) unlike you, I *have* read (at least some of) the books. It wasn't great writing (hey, neither is mine!), but the story was engaging enough to draw me along (and, admittedly, I *really* love and was enraptured by this game during those first couple hundred hours).

But the worst part of having read the books is the mention of the fact that (and I ask forgiveness in advance if I misremember this) the previous Thargoid "war" was a few hundred years ago. But somehow (as mentioned in the books), "everyone" has forgotten it even happened, and forgotten all the lessons learned from it. When I read that in the book I had to put my Kindle down with an "Are you g kidding me?" groan. Like, seriously? How can you stick something like that into your story with a straight face, when your setting is a technologically advanced human civilization? Only with an unfortunate lack of regard for your audience.

Well, some people, real ones, have a lot of time to play the game. Perhaps if FD gave us some way of transferring modules between players- for cash, or different modules more to our choosing, say- then we could sort this need out for ourselves? Might be worth making some suggestions over on that part of the board to try and get things moving.

My guess is that you'll draw some fire for that. But the reality is, I agree with you. As I mentioned before, I worked community and support for one of the first MMOG companies back in the nineties (yeah, I'm old!), and even the earliest multiplayer games managed to implement P2P trading in a scam-resistant way, because those devs understood how important (and energizing) it could be to a game.

And, I also suspect that, Frontier being a publicly traded company and all, Elite Dangerous is probably a bit starved by the beancounters, which throttles development (and the types of producers who would normally have the job of binding the efforts of the developers with those managing story evolution and community events into a coherent, internally consistent, whole.

And your suggestion for secure trading is doable, but (gasp!) microtransactions are a PROVEN model for generating the income necessary to fully fund the kind of dynamic game/world evolution so many players WISH Elite Dangerous would become, while allowing people to pay as they can (or will), without requiring it, or affecting game balance. (Hey, like I said, I worked in the biz a long time ago, and am happy to fund a game studio with my purchases, rather than unrealistically expecting them to keep churning out new and exciting content despite my doing nothing but endlessly sucking up their resources after a single meager purchase. ...and yes, I buy custom paint jobs, and name plaques, etc, for all my ships, but that's such a meager subset of content I *would* happily pay for to support stronger development, if given the chance.)

Final note: I probably chose a poor title for my OP -- my beef is really NOT with the people doing what they can to write narrative for this game. It's just that their efforts are made silly by the lack of any organizing force tying these disjointed snippets into the actual game play that supports even a modicum of suspension of disbelief.

I can't lie. As much as I want to defend the grind-for-gear thing, I can't. Not only is it silly from a storyline perspective, it doesn't even cut it as a game-ism. It's detrimental to the gameplay.

Maybe it's time for a Guardian Tech Mark Two. Mark One gets buffs, perhaps, and Mark Two is less effective, available for credits, and expensive as all get out. Not impossibly, ridiculously expensive, but I'm talking baseline 10 mil purchases.

I don't know. I thought I was jumping through hoops to net the human tech. That's small-time compared to the nightmare that seems to be getting Guardian stuff.

Read it, and agree. And (if I'm not mistaken) unlike you, I *have* read (at least some of) the books. It wasn't great writing (hey, neither is mine!), but the story was engaging enough to draw me along (and, admittedly, I *really* love and was enraptured by this game during those first couple hundred hours).

But the worst part of having read the books is the mention of the fact that (and I ask forgiveness in advance if I misremember this) the previous Thargoid "war" was a few hundred years ago. But somehow (as mentioned in the books), "everyone" has forgotten it even happened, and forgotten all the lessons learned from it. When I read that in the book I had to put my Kindle down with an "Are you g kidding me?" groan. Like, seriously? How can you stick something like that into your story with a straight face, when your setting is a technologically advanced human civilization? Only with an unfortunate lack of regard for your audience.

Your correct, I have not read the books. I have absorbed about as much lore from the internet as I can without actually reading them though I may pick them up at some point now still. Even since I've posted that thread I've learned a lot more.

You really hit the nail on the head with your description the worst part about having read the books. My biggest concern with that other thread was why have we just forgotten everything about fighting Thargoids from the first war. Do people realize that today, all modern military countries have plans and procedures drawn up to invade all other countries or defensive plans in case those countries attack first? Are you telling me alien contact on the level of the Thargoids wouldn't change all of human history and be the biggest news of our time? of all time perhaps?

Now take that our interactions with this alien bug race led to a war over many years and crazy casualties, we finally develop a super weapon to halt the Thargoid menace and afterwards just forget it ever happened? No memorial day parades? Let alone the ridiculous fact that we just tossed our weapons away... are you seriously trying to have me believe we wouldn't have mycoid missiles pointed at every inch of border to Thargoid space as a deterrent to say "don't try it again?" or at the absolute minimal believable idea that maybe all that INRA data on fighting Thargoids might have been worth saving on a USB stick for safe keeping, you know, in case the horrible murderous bug creatures decide to come back ever. If Frontier believes this level of species wide amnesia is possible then they do not know anything about real world human behavior, history or politics.

Just because frontier made that captain america federation cutscene yay blow them up.. doesn't mean frontier are at heart Thargoid sympathisers. What do you expect such to do about it?

Like me so im not complaining.

If the federation and empire just enlist any old pilot without so much as even an application form, the thargoids better damn well do the same :p

At this point this “story” would be more interesting if there were NO articles about the Thargoids. At least then I’d be mysterious. Now it’s just boring. A snooze fest. A grindtastic bonus level in your favorite 90s arcade game. A gaping chasm of narrative disconnect between FD and us. A sodium chloride induced grindhause that flows at the speed of prime time tv during writers strike. It’s the Hutton Orbital run from the main star without an fsd.

If I may, I'd like to assume that their is some greater narrative behind all this, and that there is a good reason behind the ineffectual response so far. This is the second critical article, after Aisling Duval's attack on Aegis.

We know that there is some conspiracy between the various powers regarding the exploration of the Formadine Rift, and the creation of a plan B. Could it be that there is a group of people who want the bubble to fall so that civilisation must restart in space under their control? Could it be that some of the permit locked sectors already contain some of the infrastructure for sustaining population, complete with security forces loyal to their founders. On another note, perhaps the recent anti-INRA group that surfaced is simply a front for eliminating those who want to take stronger action against the Thargoids.

Another way of looking at the Guardian tech is that whoever controls it becomes the most powerful faction, simply by virtue of being the only faction capable of withstanding the Thargoids. Ram Tah has already had to relocate following one attack on his HQ and had to call upon independent pilots to help him out. Someone doesn't want the Guardian weapons to end up in wider circulation. Who, I don't know yet.

I'm still digging through old GalNet articles and the wiki to see if I can track down any more indication of who stands to benefit most from this lackluster repsonce.

As if we didn't need another example of missed opportunities, look upon this week's CG and despair. With all the major issues facing the core worlds, and all the low-hanging opportunities for Elite Dangerous narrative advancement... THIS slave-trade-prison-ship CG is what we independent pilots are offered as a suggestion for our focus this week?

Really? AYFKM?

Good gawd, who's putting these iron-shackle restraints on the story & narrative team? Or the community management staff? Because it's hard to imagine this being the first (or second, or eighth) choice of anyone who really cared about this game world's evolution, or player/pilots accumulating a narrative that wedded them more firmly into the game. SMH.

with the fate of humanity supposedly in the balance, EVERY PILOT must STILL fly 800-1100ly, only to trundle around repetitively solving boring puzzles in what may be the most absolutely undistinguished game play mechanism ever bolted into an online game?

I dont mind the idea that you have to earn stuff in a game rather than it being pretty much given, even though it would make more sense narratively speaking (heck, why can you only send a handful of soldiers against the aliens in XCom1? Why not just send a thousand? Because it is a game). The problem is that the way to get the stuff is insanely poorly designed, and I have yet to find a single person who defends or enjoys it.

Top Bottom