Guide / Tutorial Simple Guide to RES [Resource Extraction Site] Bounty Hunting

Already found an answer on the first page, by fleetstreet.

Hey,

I have been RES hunting for some time already and I after you earn earn around 10mil credits in a system, at least one faction gets hostile with you.
Which is kinda unpleasant as their members attack you as soon as they spawn.
In that you just have to leave the system, correct?
Or is there any way around this?
Thanks.

Last edited:
done the same , now I turn on my lights in dark , works well. remember to turn them off when you leave , last one out turns the lights off

Hello.

With a friend, we play in wing. It's not the best way to earn money in RES, because the primes are divided, but it's not the subject...

At the beginning of our play session, we split into different RES instances, leaving/entering again until one of us finds a "good" spot. He then calls the other, and we start our hunt together.
But I noticed that, as soon as the other one joins the instance, we often start to see "small" ships!
And once, I was the "instance creator", but I had to leave because of a stupid friendly fire... My friend started to see ONLY have small ships as soon as I left!

So, I tend to think that the type of RES is not related to an instance, but to a player... When multiple players are in a RES, each of them has his own "RES type" ruling the incoming ships. We don't have twice the number of incoming ships because we are 2, so somehow the decision of the type of an incoming ship is based on a choice between the 2 player's "RES type".

Anyways, thanks for your guide, it deserved the Rep gain!

Hiya, just to say that I've noticed this low spawn res type thing when in wings a lot recently. It screws up the income for the others in the wing as well as myself.

Does anyone know of a cure as I'm kinda cursed and have to become an outcast to my friends, Hah! :)

Very important info:
You are looking for situation, when first wanted ship you will scan will be from Big Ship spawn list! It can mean that you just got Big Ship spawn! Scan that one and engage him, then look for another wanted ship, it needs to be from Big Ships spawn list to be completely sure of this. Big ships yield most amount of credits. If it happens that you got small ships or mixed then quit to menu and enter game again or engage FSD and jump to other RES. Exiting to menu is way faster tho (kinda cheaty but this is how game works anyway).

Thank you so much for this guide. The above info is indeed the most important information in your whole post. It's kinda sad that the game is designed this way though. It's really not ideal gameplay to have to keep exiting to menu until you get the good spawn. It's the MMO's akin to save scumming.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this guide. The above info is indeed the most important information in your whole post. It's kinda sad that the game is designed this way though. It's really not ideal gameplay to have to keep exiting to menu until you get the good spawn. It's the MMO's akin to save scumming.

Agreed, it's broken, should be random over time. I think it may be fixed with the new high activity and low activity for RES in 1.3

I will come back to BH after I return from the core. Will update this guide too. I need to check out more deeply that security and activity zones from 1.3.
Also I think now there is more diversity with "small ship spawn", I heard now you will encounter Diamondback's and Couriers. Will check that too.
May I ask some moderator to move this thread to Guides and Tutorials forum section?

Great post, good work !

Be aware, in v1.3.0, there are some issues with RES zones:

They've not been deliberately 'nerfed' but they are more variable. There is an issue with the high and low intensity ones not scaling their difficuly correctly which is being looked into.

Michael

Also, some reports on reddit suggest that in 1.3, the security rating of a system may play a greater role in the number of pirates/security ships that show up.

Last edited:
Wow this thread is gold for any new BH. You earned the rep with this writeup OP. It took me a month to learn this stuff on my own lol. Hope the new people get to read this. It definately belongs in the tutorial section.

Things that helped me (in 1.2, could not test in 1.3 cause Hi-Intensity RES are bugged) :

> Use the navigation panel to select target : ships are organized by size, so the biggest is always on the top.
> Flying slightly above the asteroids field with a clear cut between asteroids field and outer space (vertical or horizontal) : 99% of ships which come from outer space are pirates.
> "T9" does attract a lot of pirates.
> If you have police Anaconda near you, always observe what he do : when he suddenly accelerate in a direction, good chances he has some informations about a target outside your own range. If you don't have a police Anaconda but a swarm of little police fighter, always check where they are going.

Last edited:
I've experienced and hear conflicting success so far in 1.3.0.2 - A Good rate Python RES can be achieved though from my experience but Ranks seem bugged (all Most Harm in High RES) despite the patch notes saying it was fixed...

I thought I will share my experience with Bounty Hunting in RES zones

I wanted to say thanks to the OP. Tonight I causally made over a mil killing bad guys in a well to do Vulture. I traded a Type 7 and trade routes (out of frustration) from being blow out of the sky in "Open" (thats the only mode I have ever played in) too many times, because I thought it would be more of a challenge. It was, and then some. I will eventually go back but I now have a new passion thanks to you, but back to my story... So looking around I found your write up and thought "what the hell"... Im sure glad I read it. I swapped the T7 for the Vulture and added all I could in upgrades to it. Im having a "ball" now killing large ships in RES! Thank you!

Last edited:
Good guide!

Here's my recommended outfitting for RES bounty hunting in a Vulture: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70N,5TP5TP01Q01Q01Q01Q,336Q7_6a5K7_6Q5A,7Sk7gy7dq10i10i (Turn off cargo hatch and give low priority to FSD.)
The A4-sensor is very power-hungry but I really wanted it for going to RESs, so a few sacrifices were necessary. Someone on this Forum suggested that the B-grade SCBs may actually be as good as the A-grade ones because although the charge your shields less, the extra ammo (5 instead of 4) make up for it. So I "downgraded" to B4/B2 SCBs which helped to reduce power use. Another sacrifice is that now I can turn on only one chaff launcher at a time, but compared to conflict zones where I used to fight, the RESs seem less tough (but you earn more!), so that doesn't seem like a big deal.

In the few RESs I've visited, even with the big ships spawns (with Pythons and FDSs) there are never any wanted Anacondas, disappointingly. Can anyone confirm that's the case in all RESs at the moment?

Last edited:
Head's up! Update for v1.4.01!
  • Added note about RES intensity (2)
  • Added sample Python BH build I use - http://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/7246/17167
  • Added note on how to make 30 milion per hour (requires PP and rank 2 or 5)

Quick info:
Instancing still works so High Intensity can spawn you loads of "Big ships" worth sometimes over 350.000 cr!
It's best to hunt alone at HI RES because security defence forces will help you kill pirates.
Arissa Lavigny-Duval is hands down best Power for Bounty Hunters - 2x times bigger bounties and 2.2x higher payouts at rank 5!

Firstly, thanks for the guide, very useful!

However, i'm having trouble getting the numbers to stack up.

Basics of the calc are the following I think (from your original post).

• I'm Rank 2 in PP with Hudson (See screenshot below) and Hudson is Ranked 1'st in PP at time of writing so bounties are +50%

DF9A0A421ACE9E76D70912C8774DEB9A15E56552
  • I'm in a control system (See screenshot below). So payout should double (+100%)

See my bounty payout and redemption screenshots below. Take the Federation line - 2,670,292 Cr.

Using your calculations this should yield:

2,670,292 * 2 (control) * 1.5 (PP Rank) = 8,010,876

But on redemption what i'm getting is exactly half that - 4,005,438

Which suggests that the *2 bonus for being in a control system is not being applied.

Any ideas why?

Cheers!

53FE1AC1FDA22F2BEEF9852D6241E09D5DBA2250

1DD2DDEFE6A52D0D5BC0B4CF6DF9717358D43933

Top Bottom