Since a lot of people complain about the game not telling you of stuff happening, I thought I'd let you know the Federation lost a permit system

Well, the Federation is a bit like the EU isn't it, they're far too busy fighting each other over money, and are completely blind to the enemy waiting just outside the city walls.
Lol no! Federation is like the US of A, ultra corrupt corporate led by an incompetent fool.
Alliance is more like EU, group of diverse nations working more or less loosely together (or sometimes against each other).

I still wonder what the real ingame consequences are?

for ppl who don't care about the BGS... probably nothing.

But why call yourself a fed and then not care when a opposing faction takes one of your important (lore wise... i mean why els have it permit locked) systems?

in that case your not a fed... just a merc no?

edit:
not that there's a problem with that, and i guess you could call yourself a fed simply because you decided your home is in fed space but don't care for the federation as a whole

Last edited:
And where and how may I ask is the Federation busy fighting itself over money?

It's how I always imagine them, rather than what's actually going on. But anything as big and as old as the Federation, well... just look at real world monolithic organisations, they are corrupt to the very core, and more concerned about lining their own pockets as quickly and quietly as possible, than actually doing what they were put in place to do.

The EU comparison is a rather stark one for me personally, because that's where I see the EU going if it doesn't collapse in on itself in the next decade or two. Heck, perhaps they will try and use actual force to keep the member states in line, nothing is off the table where money is concerned. People have gone to war for far less, and history is replete with examples.

VampyreGTX

Volunteer Moderator
for ppl who don't care about the BGS... probably nothing.

But why call yourself a fed and then not care when a opposing faction takes one of your important (lore wise... i mean why els have it permit locked) systems?

in that case your not a fed... just a merc no?

edit:
not that there's a problem with that, and i guess you could call yourself a fed simply because you decided your home is in fed space but don't care for the federation as a whole

Show me the Fed Lore? other than it being permit locked? There is no details, story, etc to go with it. That's WHY a lot of CMDRs don't care about Lore on ANY side, be it Fed, Imp, Alliance, Independent, etc. There IS TOO little out there, first, to even KNOW why certain things are the way they are, and 2nd, for anyone to even know or care. I mean, these threads are a great example. How FDev can change that, I dunno.

Then again, maybe the Fed had it permit locked because that Penal Colony was for prisoners that were infected with some incurable, unstoppable, contagious, and deadly biorganism that will now spread uncontrollably throughout the galaxy since the Feds can no longer keep out CMDRs without the proper permit!

the alliance exists without a navy because neither the federation nor the empire wants to risk the other gaining advantage by taking it. its a dual action thing; if one side gets too involved then the other might take advantage of it being bogged down suppressing the alliance worlds. if its too successful the opposition will ally with whats left of the alliance to force a stalemate or try to conquer more worlds than the other side and that would lead to a war neither side wants atm apparently. any move to grab the alliance requires feds and imps to cooperate. otherwise they lay themselves open to the other side. so neither wants to risk it.

Show me the Fed Lore? other than it being permit locked? There is no details, story, etc to go with it. That's WHY a lot of CMDRs don't care about Lore on ANY side, be it Fed, Imp, Alliance, Independent, etc. There IS TOO little out there, first, to even KNOW why certain things are the way they are, and 2nd, for anyone to even know or care. I mean, these threads are a great example. How FDev can change that, I dunno.

Then again, maybe the Fed had it permit locked because that Penal Colony was for prisoners that were infected with some incurable, unstoppable, contagious, and deadly biorganism that will now spread uncontrollably throughout the galaxy since the Feds can no longer keep out CMDRs without the proper permit!

A member of ours actually dug deep into FFE and the prison is also for political prisoners, non-political prisoners, innocent civilians...A LOT of them from every category.

GRANT'S CLAIM REACHES OVER-FLOW
M.C.S

The Prison colony on Grant's Claim (Ross 128), otherwise known as 'The Warren', has reached its maximum overflow limit following a sudden rise in the rate of personal assaults in a number of Inner Core systems. The opening of the INRA files has revealed that large numbers of previously trusted personnel were, in fact, in the pay of the INRA Internal Surveillance Units and had been spying on their contemporaries and colleagues for decades.

A close reading of the files has revealed that a number of unexplained deaths in the past were the result of INRA-inspired assassinations. Consequently, many of the alleged informants have been the subject of revenge attacks, some of them fatal, by bereaved relatives and friends of those assassinated. The FSS and the Imperial Guard have drafted in extra support on some worlds and are offering round-the -clock police protection to some of the better-known informants.

The Courts have been saturated and are handing down custodial sentences with an alacrity that some Existential Rights lawyers find extremely disturbing, particularly now that 'The Warren' is full and there is a suggestion that a re-introduction of capital punishment would help solve the problem. Alternative suggestions include the sale of detainees to the aliens as research specimens or the creation of new prison colonies on some of the radio-active moons previously used as nuclear decontamination units.

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT - THE ANSWER TO TRAFFIC OFFENCES
M.C.S
We have the answer. It was obvious all along. There are way too many folks languishing in 'The Warren', using up Federal funding and doing nothing more useful with their lives except experiencing hell, regretting their past and planning ways to break out (only a stab in the dark, that last one, they might be planning on staying inside - you never know).
So - too many people, too little credit, not enough space. Is the answer to stop sending perfectly harmless humanoids to prison?? Of course not. We should top the lot and bury them in a nuclear fuel dump where they won't be in anybody else's way. Obvious. Why on earth we didn't think of it before is a mystery. Our ancestors did it and nobody complained too much. They spent years voting it out of the legislation and then even more years voting it back on when their penal system proved to be a dismal failure.
Of course there were the odd feeble minds who thought that society was the problem and that shooting individuals wouldn't help but they were first against the wall so they didn't bother anybody much. So - we propose the same now.
Bring back the chair for everything from speeding upwards and see what happens to our overstocked prisons.

BREAKOUT FROM GRANT'S CLAIM
M.C.S
A mass breakout has taken place from 'The Warren' on Grant's Claim (Ross 128). This, supposedly impregnable prison colony has reached maximum capacity and the administration had lodged several complaints to the Authorities stating that the unit
had reached flash point and that the critical mass of prisoners was such that a break-out attempt was almost inevitable. The trigger factor appears to have been the suggestion that Capital punishment be re-introduced retrospectively for all life sentences as a means of reducing the over crowding.
This, obviously impractical suggestion was under review only as a routine measure with no serious attempt to impose it. Nevertheless, the fact that it was about to go before the Popular Council was sufficient to stimulate the prisoners to attempt to leave.
Altogether, 768 prisoners have 'jumped ship'. Searches of their cells following the break revealed that the over-stocking had resulted in a reduction in security and that the prison visitors had been able to bring in explosives, armaments, ropes and spare clothes as well as details of an escape plan involving as many as a dozen passenger ships which had been booked to lift the prisoners off planet. The prison authorities were taken completely by surprise and gave very little resistance - for which reason, most of the guards were left alive.
Questions remain as to the official policy that allowed this situation to occur and there have been calls for the resignation of the Representatives responsible. So far, the Council has given no response.

NOTORIOUS CRIMINAL SPOTTED

J.J.
Commander Joe Tillerton whose private navigator's school, Tilstar, is based on Ackcanphi, has reported the theft of his Mark Three Cobra while visiting Trojan, Eta Cassiopoeia.
What causes alarm amongst law officers from Achenar through to the Outer Edge is that the thief's identity has been confirmed as Klavdia Malin, the Empire renegade and pirate whose sensational escape from Grant's Claim Prison Colony was reported several months ago. Tillerton asserts that he spotted Malin and an accomplice hanging around the repair depot at Hector Spaceport and while alerting security to their presence accidentally left his craft inadequately sealed.
A working mechanic then deposes she saw the loiterers enter the cruiser and abduct it.
Members of the local Imperial Guard detachment have been invited to join in the investigation into these events.

MALIN'S MALAISE
J.J.
Sources inform us that Kladvia Malin, the escaped Imperial outlaw and freebooter has been apprehended in the past few days by combined Imperial and Federal Naval forces acting on an anonymous tip-off. Malin, who made a spectacular escape from the so-called impregnable High Security Gaol at Grant's Claim last year was captured after a long running battle with six naval cruisers just outside the Bevegre system. We're told she was still in possession of the Mark Three she swiped off Joe Tillotson of Tilstar and evidence taken from her cruiser suggests that she was in the process of conducting negotiations with another notorious buccaneer to acquire a larger vessel in order to resume her depredations.
Kape and Jarnessy, the Lainlan entrepreneurs, have asked us to issue on their behalves a specific denial that Malin was either present at their Star Boot Sale held recently at Widow's Drift or that they had any inkling of her proximity. However, Haydon Gobbo their compatriot hinted last night that nay sizeable funds entering their banking systems in the near future might be put down to bounty payments.

ARGENT SUES INRA
M.C.S
Following the departure of the ship 'Argent's Quest' into Far space in search of the Thargoid stronghold, Meredith Argent is taking the higher echelons of INRA, most specifically Commander J Saunders(Elite), to court for the murder of the explorer Commander Mic Turner. Argent claims to have positive evidence, retrieved by the new 'Quest' Commander, [MiR(PnorNPC), that the earlier ship, 'Turner's Quest' was identified as an intruder by INRA defence satellites ringing an exclusion zone around the area previously defined as the Thargoid front base. Immediately afterwards, Saunders and others of the INRA counter-intelligence wing (previously demonstrated to be flying in the area) attacked and destroyed Mic Turner's ship and subsequently appropriated the 'Quest's' Stowmaster Escape Capsule, wiping the flight recording equipment prior to returning it to its rightful owner. Council for the defence has been allocated and are vigorously denying all charges. INRA have agreed to be guarantors for the accused and hence Saunders is free to continue with normal duties until required to give evidence.

INRA vs. ARGENT - MUTUAL SUITS
M.C.S
Sudden and unexpected announcements emerged last week from both INRA and Su and Prosperr, legal advisors to Argent Aerodynamics Amalgamated (Inc.). INRA are prosecuting Meredith Argent in person for aiding and abetting the renegade terrorist [MiR(PnorNPC) and Argent is bringing legal proceedings against certain named members of INRA for: the premeditated murder of Commander Mic Turner, the destruction of the ship, Turner's Quest, the detention without trial of Commander Jo Merion and the destruction of certain items from an escape capsule, the property of the aforementioned Commander Turner.
If found guilty, those on both sides face lifelong imprisonment in the Warren on Grant's Claim (Ross 128). Life is short and decidedly inglorious in there - not a prospect to be taken lightly. Bail has been granted to all parties and Legal council in the various Systems are preparing their respective cases.
The time parity agreement has been signed so that the opposing suits will be permitted to run in parallel with simultaneous Judgements. Given the weight of evidence in both cases, it is likely that it will be several years before the first witness is called. With the recent developments in the 'Argent's Quest' case, we have to question whether the defendants on either side will still be alive by the time the cases open.

It seems to have some real issues with founding as well, in typical Federal fashion the higher ups expect it to function at a level higher than it can without the necessary funding.

Meredith Argent, one of the founding fathers almost ended up in the Federation's hands as well.

Last edited:
Apos said:
GRANT'S CLAIM REACHES OVER-FLOW
A member of ours actually dug deep into FFE [...]

Impressive...

Now... I'm no expert by any means... but I would say that's a concrete and well-stocked Fed Lore about Ross 128 other than it being permit locked, with a lot of details, story, etc
And dare I say, that is why lots of Commanders care for the lore !

;) Everybody have a good night o/

Last edited:
You can find more about that here or here if you're a reddit user and you want to read our take on it.

This is a project that took over a year to reach fruition and thus I'd like more people to know about it. The system in question is Ross 128, the permit for which is acquired at the Ensign rank (Rank 7) of the Federal navy.

No hard feelings to the Federation, but at the absence of Alliance lore and the extreme tunnel visioning on Mahon, there will always be as much pressure to FD to deal with the achievements of our side.

Nicely done!

thank you, thank you -- we've had a lot of fun working towards this. Setting audacious BGS goals and achieving them is very rewarding. If anyone ever feels that this game doesn't have enough depth, dive into the BGS. Add meaning to all the activities that you would otherwise already do. Build your area of space? "player-owned bases"? It's often asked for, but much of this already exists in the game. Yes, there is no direct control, but once you get attached to the proxy that your faction is, that difference is one that doesn't really matter.

May ED thrive on and recognize in lore player-driven events and achievements -- that's the sort of stuff that gets you a decade of longevity

I don't tend to follow powerplay antics but well done! I hope FD change the permit requirement to make it in line with this change.

I don't tend to follow powerplay antics but well done! I hope FD change the permit requirement to make it in line with this change.

Well you are good then :D
because, this had nothing to do with PP, it was a purely BGS project
it might have some very minor effects on PP but that was not the goal at all.

Awesome vid!

Timezones are a royal pain.
Hopefully Apos will add it to the post on the front page.

Lore wise there is also an e-book "Elite Dangerous: Wanted" by Gavin Deas. It opens in The Warren and references it a bunch of times.

Personally I'm hoping for a Community Goal to remove the Rank Requirement on the Permit Lock.
But we'll have to wait and see on that.

Should Mahon keep The Warren as an Alliance Prison?
Should it be thrown open and become a normal system but with a prison?
Should Frontier ignore the work of a year and leave it with the Feds?
If it remains a Prison should the permit be issued by LHS 2541 Alliance Combine?

Whatever happens, it is no longer a BGS activity.
Perhaps competing Community Goals where we can all work towards our preferred outcome.
Lots of possibilities.

So far "The Warren" has been used as a threat and a setting for stories.
It might be a valuable thing to have in the game.
If so, make it the lucrative CG.
Have an opposing CG to bust down the doors, with no financial reward.

Watch this space.

Second of permit systems in total, first instance of a permit system related to the Navy ranks. The first permit system flipped was Phekda, which has now had its permit requirement revoked.
I think that makes this the fourth (there may be others I don't know of, of course), rather than the second.
- CD-43 11917 has also changed hands at least twice, probably three times: when I first went there it was Salleda State Systems, then Atlas Corporation had it for a bit, and now it's CQC Holdings. Salleda State Systems are non-native so I'm pretty sure CQC Holdings originally controlled it, too.
- Sirius was flipped to Sirius Free for a while, though has since been flipped back.

Still an impressive piece of BGS work ... and one, like ALD's PowerPlay takeover of Beta Hydri, which should have more in-game effect than just the raw control measures.

Top Bottom