CQC Skill ceiling issues and 'farming' new players in Deathmatch

Really glad to see that CQC is a bit more lively lately! However, I'm worried that the mode's high skill ceiling will be a problem that will prevent it keeping sustainable population levels in Deathmatch.

From my experience playing Deathmatch, there is often a situation where there's 2-3 very experienced players and 3-4 less experienced players. Ideally, the 2-3 skilled players would largely fight among themselves, and the 3-4 newer players wouldn't have to worry about them too much.

However, the scoring system of Deathmatch greatly rewards farming newer players over fighting your equally-skilled adversaries. Especially when there's 3 good players, fighting the powerful players will often lead to them just ignoring you and racking up more points by murdering vulnerable enemies who are already engaged. When you throw the Weapons and Stealth powerups into the mix, the scoring system greatly rewards farming in the mad rush to hit the point threshold.

This obviously isn't ideal, as it means a worse experience especially for newer players who just get killed over and over again.

One solution to this would be to add a small point penalty to dying while in the lead, and a corresponding bonus to the person who killed you (say, 50 points). This would go a long way to encouraging high-skill players to fight each other more in Deathmatch.

I've not played very recently so please let me know if this problem is outdated.

I think you need to play CQC to know what it is really like.

CQC rank is quite a grind so I don't think punishing people for doing well is the right thing to do.

Rewarding players for killing good players on the other hand, yeah.. extra XP bonuses should be added at the end of the match for i.e. killing the highest scoring player in the match or killing much higher ranked player, lets say another +50XP each... why not.

If high ranked players don't fight each other then there may be a reason for that i.e. they are from the same squadron. It happens a lot.

Last edited:
I think you need to play CQC to know what it is really like.

I have over 100 hours in CQC, just not in the past few months. I've specifically experienced the most skilled players avoiding fights with me (usually utilising the stealth powerup) in order to farm weaker players for more kills. I don't blame them for this; it's the best way to win in the current scoring system

I have over 100 hours in CQC, just not in the past few months. I've specifically experienced the most skilled players avoiding fights with me (usually utilising the stealth powerup) in order to farm weaker players for more kills. I don't blame them for this; it's the best way to win in the current scoring system
About 18 months ago having high CQC rank meant you had at least decent skill and attitude to PvP. There were only some real CQC nuts that lingered in CQC back then.
These days CQC rank means nothing, we've been having an influx of stat padders, afk alt farmers. Don't be fooled by the rank. We have many high ranked clowns in CQC now.

As for using power ups, they are in the game they can be used. If someone use them and wins the game, don't blame power ups, you've been outplayed.

For TDM, there really needs to be balance. They're always putting me and other hotshots on the same team, and rookies on the other. It's a massacre, then they leave. Every. Damn. Time.

If there's any advice I could offer regarding regular deathmatch, beyond git gud, it would be steal kills, and camp the weapons upgrade lol.

Sometimes you'll get a group of friends who are ganking. Try to take as many with you as you can, that's all you can really do.

I'm new to CQC and loving it...l I have about 2000 hrs in the main game, but just started CQC three days ago. I've found it to be pretty easy to rank up. I'm currently rank 27 after about 5 hours and have a KD of 1.6... but I have to agree that it's a bit too easy sometimes to farm low ranking players and then they quit. I was thinking today that maybe we (as experienced players) should use in-game comms to give ourselves a bit of handicap in unbalanced matches. I.e. If there's a TDM and there's me and three noobs on one team and a prestige and three noobs on the other team, then maybe me and the prestige should agree that we won't use power-ups and will only take noob players down to shields off before switching targets (assuming there's another target to switch to). With the limited number of players in CQC we don't want to drive away players by being viewed as seal clubbers (leave that to the CODE in open in Deciat).

Also (and this might be showing how much of a noob I am), what do the + signs beside enemies in CQC mean? Does it mean that that player is on a kill streak, or that they previously killed you so you should try to get revenge? Or does it mean that they're the leader?

Also (and this might be showing how much of a noob I am), what do the + signs beside enemies in CQC mean? Does it mean that that player is on a kill streak, or that they previously killed you so you should try to get revenge? Or does it mean that they're the leader?
The plus signs show who your wingmen are targeting.

Hi guys, first time post here. Had the game for years and been on again off again, since covid I've spent a fair amount of time playing and got right into CQC deathmatch as there are now players to actually play against and I feel (at least for me) it is way more fun than the rest of the game tbh.

Being lvl 40-ish now, and persisting through the relentless beatings (by most of you) I agree with the points that Alex and Musk make.
Getting your butt kicked does open the opportunity to learn the tactics of the DM gameplay (if you have the tolerance). However.. level 50's totally destroying a bunch of newbies in a very short amount of time is counter productive to gaining more player support for DM in the future - you want to reel them in and keep them interested in playing more often - not alienate them.

From what I have seen, lowbies play - get owned and never return. Some stick around for a while, yet there are more high ranking known players roaming the servers constantly than new players and that speaks volumes as to what the present situation is like. I spoke briefly to Musk about this in game recently when a lowbie cracked it at him and Musk's reply was "what am I supposed to do - not play?" - which is absolutely a fair statement and I agree. More players and consistency is needed and it can be done.

I believe way more cmdr's would consider making CQC a more regular visit if more options and variables were considered by FDev. These are some ideas... I ask for all interested in CQC to add to them and for FDev to please consider.

Rank 1-10-ish? to play on their own to establish a feel for combat, loadouts and familiarise themselves with the maps.
A CQC point based system of paint jobs for ships that could also transfer to base game fighter hanger ships colour schemes.
CQC Level 50 rewards to reskin a ship to look like a guardian vessel (not abilities).
CQC Special event times (maybe over the weekend) so all cmdrs know that population will be high and worth playing.
Extra Ark rewards above the 400 per week standard - to a cap of coarse (1 ark a CQC kill?) or a few for lasting the whole round? - 50 extra a week maybe?
Extra points for killing the top scoring player like (Musk suggested) would encourage those doing badly to gang up, get some back and turn the inevitable tides.

I'd really love to see another game type added where cmdr's could play with their ingame ships (broken down to - light, medium, heavy) with their own loadouts to try out their skills in a PVP setting that can happen straight away and without the insurance penalty - Its would give the Solo playing cmdr's a positive boost to encourage them to play in Open play more.

These are a few ideas, and I hope CQC gets more love in the future because it's worth it.

Rank 1-10-ish? to play on their own to establish a feel for combat, loadouts and familiarise themselves with the maps.
A CQC point based system of paint jobs for ships that could also transfer to base game fighter hanger ships colour schemes.
CQC Level 50 rewards to reskin a ship to look like a guardian vessel (not abilities).
CQC Special event times (maybe over the weekend) so all cmdrs know that population will be high and worth playing.
Extra Ark rewards above the 400 per week standard - to a cap of coarse (1 ark a CQC kill?) or a few for lasting the whole round? - 50 extra a week maybe?
Extra points for killing the top scoring player like (Musk suggested) would encourage those doing badly to gang up, get some back and turn the inevitable tides.

I like your ideas... I actually really like the ARX idea. Something I think FDev is right with Engineers in the main game is that in order to unlock them you basically need to do everything in the game a little bit. You need to explore, mine, combat in both conflict zones and bounty hunting, trade, black market trade, find thargoid stuff (meta alloys), and trade in rare goods. That's basically all of the game play loops (cough except CQC). I think it'd be GREAT if FDev changed the 400 ARX/week cap to be so that you could only max it out if you did a few different activities. To make the player revolt a little less deafening they could increase the cap to 600 and make it so that any one activity (i.e. mining, or bounty hunting or exploring) could only give you 200 out of the 600 total. As much as I'd love to suggest that there be some part of the cap that could only be earned through CQC I can already hear CMRD Yamick's voice complaining about this.

TLDR:
  • It would be great if there was an engineering unlock linked to CQC play (although that doesn't encourage non-horizons players).
  • It would be great if there was some amount of ARX that could only be earned in CQC on a weekly basis. Maybe keep the 400 cap the same for the regular game, but CMDRs can earn an extra 50 if they play CQC.
  • It would be great if there was something really good behind the permit lock of CQC prestige (I mean 20% off an FDL is already pretty cool, but I'm thinking 20% off a fleet carrier... or maybe if there was a hand-crafted triple LTD hotspot in a CQC permit locked system).
  • It would be great if there were some cool cosmetics that were exclusive to CQC ranks... I'm thinking exclusive paint schemes for Condor, iFighter, Eagle, and Sidewinder.

I'm sorry, isn't it clear what kind of PVP we're talking about?
CQC is PvP gameplay. Many people are reluctant to do any PvP whatsoever, they come to CQC only to grind rank, so from the start they don't come to CQC to learn how to get better at it, they just come to CQC to pad their stats.
That's why we have now quite a few CQC Elite players that are really terrible at it - afk alt farmers, noob farmers who log the moment better player joins.
I don't want to say who because it's against forum rules, but people in the community know who they are.

Last edited:
CQC is PvP gameplay. Many people are reluctant to do any PvP whatsoever, they come to CQC only to grind rank, so from the start they don't come to CQC to learn how to get better at it, they just come to CQC to pad their stats.
That's why we have now quite a few CQC Elite players that are really terrible at it - afk alt farmers, noob farmers who log the moment better player joins.
I don't want to say who because it's against forum rules, but people in the community know who they are.
Thank you.
I tried to play in the CQC myself several times, but I realized that all the skills I get there are completely useless in a regular open game. CQC is a completely different game.
I'm not saying bad or good, it's just different.

Top Bottom