SLF crewmember sabotages Formidine Rift investigation.

Having just arrived at the Gamma Site to begin investigating the abandoned settlements I left my npc crewmember alone in my T-10, the Ryoko-Sha, whilst I took the SRV around the settlement. I patched Arianne through Comms so she could read the logs with me as I went through each one and wondered if the content was unnerving her a little. It’s her first trip out beyond the Bubble but had assured me during our interview that she was an experienced and Competent pilot, as such I put it down to being left alone in a hauntingly large and empty ship on what is a pretty spooky place and headed back to join her.

Besides, when we’d done our initial DSS scan of the planet we had two notable signals from the surface, one Human which we’d expected and one Other....which we had not. Nothing had shown up in the Nav panel so once I’d lifted off and reached a couple of kilometres altitude I jumped into a GU-97 to eyeball the surface and gave Arianne the order to follow.

Only minutes later I got notification from the ship that the hull was down to 50%, by the time I switched back to the Ryoko-Sha her hull was down to 33% with the shields slowly coming back online. Arianne brought the SLF back on board but was visibly shaken and chattering away without making much sense. She muttered something about “bright lights” and “losing all systems control” but I don’t know, has she lost herself between the tales of horror and the overwhelming darkness out here? Did she sabotage our trip in an effort to make a quick return to civilisation or did she really experience something that the guys working out there felt all those years ago.

Whatever happened we’re left 8306.13ly from Sol with heavy damage to the ships hull and no chance of completing the full journey which would have taken us up through Augustia and The Perseus Crags to a new life in Colonia.

Unless there’s anywhere closer than the California Nebula to make repairs......and hire and fire crew members?

Post Script: I’ve had to sedate Arianne and lock her in her quarters for the safety of us both. Only now I’m alone in the deep dark Rift.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly where you are, but gathering from a look at EDSM, if you're in the Formidine Rift anywhere near the Abandoned Settlements (EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0) or there about, perhaps you might make it to New Beginning (ROSETTE SECTOR CQ-Y D59) ... it's an Independant base inside a huge asteroid. I was just there, returning from my first jaunt out through the Elysian Shore and Formidine Rift.

Good luck!

I didnt think you could have an npc pilot the ship while you were in srv- only slf. I've heard of this happening when recalling a ship for landing though, is that what happened?

Having just arrived at the Gamma Site to begin investigating the abandoned settlements I left my npc crewmember alone in my T-10, the Ryoko-Sha, whilst I took the SRV around the settlement. I patched Arianne through Comms so she could read the logs with me as I went through each one and wondered if the content was unnerving her a little. It’s her first trip out beyond the Bubble but had assured me during our interview that she was an experienced and Competent pilot, as such I put it down to being left alone in a hauntingly large and empty ship on what is a pretty spooky place and headed back to join her.

Besides, when we’d done our initial DSS scan of the planet we had two notable signals from the surface, one Human which we’d expected and one Other....which we had not. Nothing had shown up in the Nav panel so once I’d lifted off and reached a couple of kilometres altitude I jumped into a GU-97 to eyeball the surface and gave Arianne the order to follow.

Only minutes later I got notification from the ship that the hull was down to 50%, by the time I switched back to the Ryoko-Sha her hull was down to 33% with the shields slowly coming back online. Arianne brought the SLF back on board but was visibly shaken and chattering away without making much sense. She muttered something about “bright lights” and “losing all systems control” but I don’t know, has she lost herself between the tales of horror of the overwhelming darkness out here? Did she sabotage our trip in an effort to make a quick return to civilisation or did she really experience something that the guys working out there felt all those years ago.

Whatever happened we’re left 8306.13ly from Sol with heavy damage to the ships hull and no chance of completing the full journey which would have taken us up through Augustia and The Perseus Crags to a new life in Colonia.

Unless there’s anywhere closer than the California Nebula to make repairs......and hire and fire crew members?

Post Script: I’ve had to sedate Arianne and lock her in her quarters for the safety of us both. Only now I’m alone in the deep dark Rift.
She'll sue you for harassment and you'll be paying her a nice sum to part ways. It's cheaper to keep her.

I didnt think you could have an npc pilot the ship while you were in srv- only slf. I've heard of this happening when recalling a ship for landing though, is that what happened?

Umm, it's a role play narrative, it's not meant to be taken literally, this shouldn't need to be explained. I have done it myself at times.

Thanks for support, interest and suggestions.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that, having completed DW2 without issue and never needed them before, I hadn't even thought about those magnificent Cmdrs in the Fuel Rats and Hull Seals. I'm now set for an emergency Hull repair later tonight thanks to the Hull Seals and I have to say, the process was quicker and easier than getting my roadside assistance provider to turn up IRL.

As for my npc crew member....I'm not sure if I was expecting too much of her or if they simply have zero initiative but when I gave the order to 'follow' I had assumed she'd do so safely - I don't know, perhaps like using basic piloting skills such as avoiding the hard bit below you.

Plus, just to clarify. It was indeed a little RP'ing for fun - Arianne was not flying my T-10 whilst I was in the SRV. I was only suggesting she was relaxing in there, parked up, whilst I was in the SRV.

Finally, a huge thanks and a big o7 to the Cmdrs on FleetCom & Hull Seals Discord for their help last night and tonight. 8300 odd light years to travel on a weekend to help a plonker with a wonky track rod and bent up wishbones - just amazing!

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, NPCs hate flying over Planets.

Heading out in an SLF at lower Altitude and letting the NPC follow has high chances of the NPC do a "controlled flight into the ground" at some point.
Not recommended during Exploration, that can quickly become a bad showstopper.

Glad this had a good outcome! Hull Seals or Fuel Rats, they serve a great purpose in this game. Thankyou for your service o7.

Closest is Farsight Expedition Base, just over 800ly away in Heart Sector IR-V B2-0.

I'd have been very likely to head there had I not sorted out a meeting with the Hull Seals, now I'm quite excited to experience this for the first time. It will also mean I can continue my travels around the Rift without worrying too much about the final 33% of Hull integrity - quite a relief.

Yeah, NPCs hate flying over Planets.

Heading out in an SLF at lower Altitude and letting the NPC follow has high chances of the NPC do a "controlled flight into the ground" at some point.
Not recommended during Exploration, that can quickly become a bad showstopper.

That lesson has now been learned and Arienne's monthly appraisal will be an uncomfortable meeting later this month. :)

Just launch a few repair limpets and you'll be back to 100% in no time.

It took 7 limpets to fully repair my exploration Type-10 from 8% after misjudging the terrain after dropping from glide.

A little update: The Hull Seals have just left having repaired my ship back to 100% integrity with the Seal who came to me having jumped all the way from the Colonia region to fire a few limpets at my ship and be on his way again. I'm pretty much in awe of this service and this is what I imagine they all look like.

What a Galaxy it is out there.

Just launch a few repair limpets and you'll be back to 100% in no time.

It took 7 limpets to fully repair my exploration Type-10 from 8% after misjudging the terrain after dropping from glide.

After this I won't be overlooking the viability of repair limpets ever again!

I'd have been very likely to head there had I not sorted out a meeting with the Hull Seals, now I'm quite excited to experience this for the first time. It will also mean I can continue my travels around the Rift without worrying too much about the final 33% of Hull integrity - quite a relief.

On my first trip back from Colonia I did the last 7kly on less than 30% hull, you just have to be very careful! :)

Of course no Hull Seals or Fuel Rats back then, we have it easy now.

\o/ \o/ ... that's a heck of a trip, what was he/she flying ?

All done in the comfort and style afforded by his gleaming white Saud Kruger Orca, flown in style across the Neutron Highway and a little help from Spansh apparently.

I know well how much of a difference to travel time the NS Highway can make but I’m still blown away by just how quickly some Cmdrs can traverse it.

It was also my first ever experience of Winging Up, so after 18 months or so of playing I’m still picking up amazing and very cool new experiences.

On my first trip back from Colonia I did the last 7kly on less than 30% hull, you just have to be very careful! :)

Of course no Hull Seals or Fuel Rats back then, we have it easy now.

Though you’re one of our more respected and experienced Explorers I believe, so 7kly on low hull integrity is merely something to bear in mind for you perhaps :) For me it’s all hands to Panic Stations with cries of “We’re doomed, doomed!”😁

Top Bottom