Small animal exhibit design

Something about ZT 1/2 that didn't quite satisfy me is how they dealt with small animals. Either they would act as regular-sized animals and require unrealistically large exhibits or they came in the form of uncustomizable, uninteractable static buildings.

Small animals are a big part of zoos, and have exhibits, behaviors, and requirements for care that can be just as complex as larger ones. Anyone who keeps fish or herps could attest to this. I expect the difference in scale is the main reason this was avoided in ZT. Maybe it would have been too complex for computers at the time, or too unwieldy to integrate, but I don't think it would have been an unpopular idea. And I'm certain modern computers would be up to the task (small animals being small, their full range of behaviors would only have to be processed when you're very close).

I wouldn't expect anything like this except as DLC, but it would be an interesting departure from the usual dinosaurs/aquariums thing (dinosaurs are probably out anyway because of JWE).

If not this, then at least some basic customization for the buildings or zookeeper care requirements would be nice.

I think I got an idea for the exhibit sign.
Let's say you snap a picture of your favorite animal in the gameplay. Then you have the picture saved whenever you wanted to post the picture on the exhibit sign and the facts of the animal will appear on the sign.

This is coming directly from Eurogamer's website when they talked with the devs: "You can also expect to see flexi-colour items, and the ability to add custom 2D and 3D backgrounds to the glass exhibits for small critters." I feel like this implies some creative flexibility with small enclosures. And if they're willing to let you customize smaller enclosures then surely you can manage them, right? I guess we'll find out :)

This is coming directly from Eurogamer's website when they talked with the devs: "You can also expect to see flexi-colour items, and the ability to add custom 2D and 3D backgrounds to the glass exhibits for small critters." I feel like this implies some creative flexibility with small enclosures. And if they're willing to let you customize smaller enclosures then surely you can manage them, right? I guess we'll find out :)
Got me thinking that they might make a micro-managing aspect to static buildings. So for example: How many small animals like spiders are in the enclosure. How are they reproducing? Are they male or femal?. What biome do the spiders live in? Oh well.. probably wishfull thinking.

Top Bottom