Small Mammal Animal Pack

I was kinda bored and trying to think of a way to get a bunch of unique animals in the game beyond biome or continent related packs. Small is somewhat subjective here, so be warned.
  1. Capybara
  2. White-nosed coatimundi
  3. Common wombat
  4. Asian small-clawed otter
  5. Tasmanian devil
  6. North American beaver
  7. Vancouver Island marmot
  8. Golden lion tamarin
This has 1 SEA/Asia animal, 2 from Australia, 3 from North America and 2 from South America.

I love it. Small mammals continue to be the most overlooked niche that's actually feasible with current game mechanics.

Personally I might swap the beaver with either the fishing cat or sand cat since those are the quintessential small zoo cats in my eyes, and we desperately need something (several somethings, even) smaller than the clouded leopard.

Would prefer the alpine marmot, but solid choices all around
I thought about that, and it's actually why I chose the VI marmot instead, because I did want one. I just thought it was awkward to have only one European animal in this pack, when I'm looking at it in a vacuum and there's not any uniquely European animals in the game atm. I picked animals from other parts of the world that, for a zoo game, I thought personally had a higher importance/would sell better. Not to discount European wildlife, I'm just trying to be realistic here.

I understand that point of view, but i agree to disagree.
We cant have european animals in the game if we never get some, so when theres a more or equally iconic species from a underrepresented region, in this case europe, i see that as a strong argument for that species, not against

But gotta say im not against having both in the game, they look quite different and honestly the VI marmot is a good bit prettier, even though i still see the alpine as more iconic and chonky greatness

Yes all around! We need more small animals to fill the inbetween spaces between large habitats (and obviously other uses but that's one of them). I realize we do have a handful of small habitat animals now, but we definitely need more.

Also clearly, the half dozen or so larger rodents should definitely fit in here. It's perfect for them.

Defining "small" as "nothing larger than a capybara" and ignoring the high likelihood that one or more of these will show up in future packs (e.g. the beaver for North America) then I'll go with:

1. Capybara
2. American beaver
3. Fossa
4. Asian small-clawed otter
5. White-nosed coatimundi
6. Caracal
7. Black-tailed prairie dog
8. Tasmanian devil

I will make my list avoiding animals already mentioned
  • Yellow-throated marten
Nürnberg_Martes_flavigula_Nürnberg.jpg

• Black-footed ferret
Black-footed Ferret.jpg

• Patagonian mara
Mara.jpg

• South African ground squirrel
South African ground squirrel.jpg

• Ecuadorian squirrel monkey
Ecuadorian squirrel monkey.jpg

• Kirk's dik-dik
Kirk's dik-dik.jpg

• Sea otter
Sea otter.jpg

• White-headed marmoset
white-headed marmoset.jpg

If we are going with 8 i think a good mix would be:

- Cotton-top tamarin , one of the most common monkeys and animals in captivity in general. Very unique look, critically endangerd and very well studied, because they were a very common lab animal in the 60ths and 70ths. Also unique as they dont live in the Amazonas basin, but in columbia and the coastof the carribean
1630076893279.png

- Black tailed praire dog , Another extremly common zoo animal and a prime candidate for burrowing. Also one of the most iconic animals from northamerica from an outside perspective. Being a rodent is also a plus
1630077229919.png

- Indian crested porcupine, every one wants a porcupine and this species has the largest population in captivity by far. Their range from turkey, over arabia to india also makes them very adaptable in region and biome
1630077417928.png

- common genet, this mostly arboreal living relative of the binturong is common across all of its range stretching across all of africa and southwest europe, aswell as having a sizeable zoopopulation. These adorable nocturnal critters would be a joy to have and sit confortably in my top 20
1630077480196.png

- greater bilby, an australian exclusive animal, but one of the most common zoo animal down there and an icon of conversation, atleast if you would like to believe chudditch, our most vocal australian user. These guys are super cute and would be great to have for nocturnal houses or overall small dessert habitats.
1630077613902.png

- Alpine marmot, rounding out the continents these chonkers are again common in captivity, aswell as one of the largest rodents in general. They would also add an iconic alpine animal, as severly lacking biome in the game right now
1630077820073.png

- Prevosts squirrel, a colorful squirrel from indonesia and one of the most commonly held squirrels in captivity. They arenot only beautiful, but would also offer some much needed aboreal mobility
1630078027182.png

- Mountain hare, the eurasian equivalent of the snowshoerabbit, these hares live in the tundras of northern asia and europe, aswell as the alps. Being the most social of all hares they are a great fit and their changing fur color could be a cool edge that brings them over other rabbits and hares
1630078301501.png

With that selection of animals we have every continent and major biome represented, as well as introducing 4 very unique rodents to the game, as well as 4 miscelanous picks of other families. Also its an actually list of very small animals, with the porcupine and the marmot being the largest on the list

Would love to see a pack like this (although I feel the odds of it are pretty slim). Frontier has been getting better about it, but small habitat species are still greatly lacking in comparison to the megafauna.

There’s so many small species I would consider essential but if I had to pick just eight they’d be:

1. Capybara
2. Tasmanian Devil
3. Snowshoe Hare
4. Black-Footed Ferret
5. Indian Giant Squirrel
6. North American Beaver
7. Golden Lion Tamarin
8. Lesser Mouse Deer

Top Bottom