Smuggle Thargoid link missions seem impossible and may bankrupt you.

I came to the forum to warn players not to take the missions, they don’t seem possible to complete.
My first attempt I died before leaving the station (made a ticket about it), the second attempt I got in the system and the canopy collapsed making the mission impossible to complete.
At first, I thought the fines were a fluke, 13,093,632 for the first, and 17,206,080 for the second (30,299,712 credits). Which is more that the credits I have available. I can only be thankful that my rebuy cost was 2mil each time and the second fine is not immediately payable (unless I die again), then I won't be able to buy my ship back.

Last edited:
I came to the forum to warn players not to take the missions, they don’t seem possible to complete.
My first attempt I died before leaving the station (made a ticket about it), the second attempt I got in the system and the canopy collapsed making the mission impossible to complete.
At first, I thought the fines were a fluke, 13,093,632 for the first, and 17,206,080 for the second (30,299,712 credits). Which is more that the credits I have available. I can only be thankful that my rebuy cost was 2mil each time and the second fine is not immediately payable (unless I die again), then I won't be able to buy my ship back.

Upgrade life support and the problem is solved.

I'm hearing that it's still a problem, as these missions destroy your ship within minutes. The bigger the cargo, the faster the effect. I hear people are barely making it one jump before their ships fall apart.

I'm hearing that it's still a problem, as these missions destroy your ship within minutes. The bigger the cargo, the faster the effect. I hear people are barely making it one jump before their ships fall apart.

The mission tends to be for one jump + couple thousands LS in supercruise max. But sure, if you take very large quantities you'll probaby be fried before you get there. People made it though, it is certainly possible. But unlike most missions, this one is actually difficult. :D

I can still remember people saying there was no point in working the CG for better corrosive racks.
"I earned MILLIONS" while you guys were doing the CG, and when will you ever need them anyway."

I guess we learned the answer today. ;)

They made these actual missions? Awesome!

Also, rookie :p

No, seriously, not a troll. This one reason why one of the recent CGs should've been *only* for the corrosive thargoid materials, get people used to hauling this stuff. I've seen lots of people RE: the research probes go "Oh, make sure you have the corrosive cargo racks!,,, for 1t???

My PB is about 50t shipped about 300LY. Also, fines? Meh, just don't get scanned, and if you do, just make sure to not die and spawn at a station owned by that faction. The upper limit on that v50t is the loading time. You can only do these 2t at a time and it can take a while, so your ship gets corroded increasingly in that time.

Just so this doesn't feel like a troll... here's some tips for smuggling large quantities without CRCRs.

1. Class A life support.
2. Fuel Tanks, not Fuel Scoops. You can get big range with these, and you must jump instantly to your next system to avoid a pulse, if your route is multihop.
3. Watch for cargo hatch failure. If that happens, emergency drop out of supercruise to avoid a cargo spill.
4. When you get to the station, fly fast. You dont want these spilling inside the station
5. Fit out every availabe slot. This gives the corrosion something else to target.
6. Any more than 16 instapop your canopy, more than 20 to 100% your cargo hold, though less may still cause failure.

People made it though, it is certainly possible. But unlike most missions, this one is actually difficult.
biggrin.png

Yup. This is why I've wanted a CG just for this stuff, and have also craved missions to haul corrosive stuff. It's difficult, it's challenging, it's fun, and it's much, much more interesting than the usual "pickup at A, drop off at B point and click adventure". People claimed hauling the vanilla goods was for RP or non-horizons participation, but the two activities are barely comparable, even if you take out the salvaging component.

Last edited:
The mission tends to be for one jump + couple thousands LS in supercruise max. But sure, if you take very large quantities you'll probaby be fried before you get there. People made it though, it is certainly possible. But unlike most missions, this one is actually difficult. :D

I can still remember people saying there was no point in working the CG for better corrosive racks.
"I earned MILLIONS" while you guys were doing the CG, and when will you ever need them anyway."

Except at least now with the Thargoid material CGs it showed that each tier unlocked a higher grade rack. Before hand no one really knew what the CG was for and the payout wasn't worth the effort so no one did it and we got stuck with garbage level cargo racks that are unrealistic for doing Thargoid content and instead of FDEV saying "oh we set the bar too high on that one like a typical CG that unless the entire playerbase contributed, didn't have a chance in hell of giving you bigger cargo racks due to low amount of Meta Alloys" they just let it happen and now we are dealing with this garbage nonsense where the Corrosion racks are too small and it's ridiculous on the bigger ships to put size 1 and 2 stuff in sizes 4-5-6 and even 7 slots, it's utterly ridiculous.

Except at least now with the Thargoid material CGs it showed that each tier unlocked a higher grade rack. Before hand no one really knew what the CG was for and the payout wasn't worth the effort so no one did it and we got stuck with garbage level cargo racks that are unrealistic for doing Thargoid content and instead of FDEV saying "oh we set the bar too high on that one like a typical CG that unless the entire playerbase contributed, didn't have a chance in hell of giving you bigger cargo racks due to low amount of Meta Alloys" they just let it happen and now we are dealing with this garbage nonsense where the Corrosion racks are too small and it's ridiculous on the bigger ships to put size 1 and 2 stuff in sizes 4-5-6 and even 7 slots, it's utterly ridiculous.

Did you really expect FD to think that far ahead? They are making it up as they go along. We're talking about the same dev team who implemented multicrew without realizing that the Keelback needed a second seat to make its fighter capabilities usable for other players. Instead of quickly fixing that issue by adding a second seat (which would be trivial to do given the size of the Keelback's cockpit and the large amount of unused space available for a second seat) they instead just let the Keelback sit unused, looking all sad and lonely in everyone's hangars since 2.3 launched. They've done nothing about it for literally months and although there was some hope that they would fix it with 2.4 we still don't have a second seat for the Keelback yet for some reason. Looking at the multicrew ship list now with 2.4 it includes the Type 10 Defender, which isn't even available yet, but there is no mention of the Keelback on the multicrew ship list so apparently we won't be getting a multicrew Keelback in 2.4. The devs have admitted that it wasn't intentional that the Keelback was left without a second seat but apparently they don't care enough to actually fix it.

Last edited:

Not so much.

To make matters worse the fine for mission failure (death) is millions more that the payout if you had completed the mission. No where in the mission description does it say anything about the cargo being corrosive and damaging your ship. These mission if they are possible are only for the already rich in credits.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Yep.....lets hope this marks a step towards making *all* high paid missions more difficult and/or dangerous.

I have just completed 3 missions at once (from Maia planet station to Merope planet station), 400t cargo for 40M.
IT WAS VERY HARD!!!

I just did a smuggling mission in my Cutter. I lost my canopy right after I exited the station. Then flew to my destination without much trouble. I had to use speed to get into the receiving station, two boosts with the Cutter and it’s all good. I also used an automatic repair until to repair my the components getting corroded.

Mission reward was 2.9M credits. Rebuy is 32M if I fail. Thus, very high risk to reward pay out for these missions. But, smuggling is a crap ton of fun in this game.

I tried the pirate life, but, my goodness it’s so boring to me. Not unless I could sell off the ship, now that might be worth it!

I also lost all my wealth by receiving a 69m fine yesterday. Based on the mission description I had no idea about that. I dont want to complain but how is that fair?

Your ship dies in 1 minute and your bankrupt and marked as criminal.

So what sort of factions/where issue these missions? I'm just looking on Maia boards at the moment, none for any faction (anarchy or otherwise).

EDIT: Ah, just found some. My god that's a tasty reward... shame it only looks like Anarchy factions issuing these missions.

2nd EDIT: Mission reward for 84t that I just saw was 43m...

3rd EDIT: Problem I have is adjudication server errors when accepting missions :( Just missed a 96m reward on 144t because of it.

Last edited:
So what sort of factions/where issue these missions? I'm just looking on Maia boards at the moment, none for any faction (anarchy or otherwise).

EDIT: Ah, just found some. My god that's a tasty reward... shame it only looks like Anarchy factions issuing these missions.

2nd EDIT: Mission reward for 84t that I just saw was 43m...

3rd EDIT: Problem I have is adjudication server errors when accepting missions :( Just missed a 96m reward on 144t because of it.

Server errors and payouts are probably due to this thread, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/379004

Ah, ok. That makes sense to at least stop the billion/trillion credit missions. They can't really change the UA ones, otherwise it'll just make more sense to abandon->black market the goods. 144t of UL =~ 70m after all...

Top Bottom