So I caved in and got a HP Reverb

I have a question about about the Reverb. Do you need steam? I don't use steam to play ED. Also how are the blacks? and any screen door effect? Ive been waiting for the Rift S but Im giving up on it.

The good -

Super high res, monitor quality, quite mind blowing how clear it is.
Zero screen door
Black is pitch black

The Bad -

Windows mixed reality with the Reverb has to use Steam. Only a few things I hate in life, Steam is up there. It does work though, just about.
The reverb has a time out if you take the headset off, after 15mins the reverb will close all VR apps down. A pain if you are mining and want to take a break. A reg fix is available, I can't get it working.

Controllers are not great if you are used to the CV1 etc. But they work fine.

No hardware IPD adjustment, it's like back with the DK2, adjust with the software.

It really is that good though, flight simmers are all over this HMD. I took an F16 down the Grand Canyon in photo realistic scenery and real life mesh, it's just mind blowing that we can do this at home. We are well and truly in 2020.

The good -

Super high res, monitor quality, quite mind blowing how clear it is.
Zero screen door
Black is pitch black

The Bad -

Windows mixed reality with the Reverb has to use Steam. Only a few things I hate in life, Steam is up there. It does work though, just about.
The reverb has a time out if you take the headset off, after 15mins the reverb will close all VR apps down. A pain if you are mining and want to take a break. A reg fix is available, I can't get it working.

Controllers are not great if you are used to the CV1 etc. But they work fine.

No hardware IPD adjustment, it's like back with the DK2, adjust with the software.

It really is that good though, flight simmers are all over this HMD. I took an F16 down the Grand Canyon in photo realistic scenery and real life mesh, it's just mind blowing that we can do this at home. We are well and truly in 2020.
I have one more question. Im reading reviews and people say yes graphics are high quality, as long as your eyeballs are straight ahead, if you move your eyeballs then its blurry. also the colors look washed. What is your experience?
one more thing, in the bad you mentioned steam. I launch directly from the ED launcher, no steam account. Do I need to switch it over to steam to use the reverb? is this because ED is not on the WMR list?

I have one more question. Im reading reviews and people say yes graphics are high quality, as long as your eyeballs are straight ahead, if you move your eyeballs then its blurry. also the colors look washed. What is your experience?
one more thing, in the bad you mentioned steam. I launch directly from the ED launcher, no steam account. Do I need to switch it over to steam to use the reverb? is this because ED is not on the WMR list?

Correct software IPD adjustment is essential, this helps with the sweet spot. Check the reviews online, there are plenty. Your IPD should be an important factor when considering a purchase. Colours look great to me, at least compared to the CV1. Blacks are jet black, virtually no screen door.

I use the ED launcher, but I do have a steam account, so you may need an account for steam VR. Sorry I cant really help with the steam stuff, I am a newbie too, have always avoided it.

So I finally got the Reverb :D. I have been playing with it all day, and dang it's pretty cool. I didn't know what to expect, but some of the stuff I feel like I am actually there its so weird. I played Minecraft in VR with my kid, and that one made me a bit sick lol. The FoV was pretty bad, but I finally got around to Elite and it is crazy. Standing up was weird because I become a floating head while my headless body sits in the cockpit chair lol. I spent like 2 hours just messing with the controls and graphics settings, but it runs it on ultra with AA turned off just fine! At least around the system I was in. I see a little bit of jaggies when I look at the edges of some stuff, but AA doesn't seem to help. It makes it a bit hard to read text at times, but it's not to bad. I will keep playing with the settings.

My only complaint so far is my right motion controller does not work. I spent a couple of hours on that also trying to make it work. It syncs with my PC, and the HP software, but the lights stay dim and the motion tracking does not work. It's weird because you can still pick stuff up. Trying to play the Super Hot demo was weird with one hand working and the other one glitching out lol. I called HP support though, and they are just sending me a new right controller within 2 days. Pretty quick support :D.

So I finally got the Reverb :D. I have been playing with it all day, and dang it's pretty cool. I didn't know what to expect, but some of the stuff I feel like I am actually there its so weird. I played Minecraft in VR with my kid, and that one made me a bit sick lol. The FoV was pretty bad, but I finally got around to Elite and it is crazy. Standing up was weird because I become a floating head while my headless body sits in the cockpit chair lol. I spent like 2 hours just messing with the controls and graphics settings, but it runs it on ultra with AA turned off just fine! At least around the system I was in. I see a little bit of jaggies when I look at the edges of some stuff, but AA doesn't seem to help. It makes it a bit hard to read text at times, but it's not to bad. I will keep playing with the settings.

My only complaint so far is my right motion controller does not work. I spent a couple of hours on that also trying to make it work. It syncs with my PC, and the HP software, but the lights stay dim and the motion tracking does not work. It's weird because you can still pick stuff up. Trying to play the Super Hot demo was weird with one hand working and the other one glitching out lol. I called HP support though, and they are just sending me a new right controller within 2 days. Pretty quick support :D.
Im also hoovering my finger over the buy button for a reverb. You said the FOV was pretty bad. Why is that? isn't it the same as the Rift S? Can you explain a little more about the FOV? What im hearing is that if you move your eyeballs left or right instead of straight, its blurry. I don't care about the controllers, Im using a HOTUS system X-52 pro. Also not interested in the sound, can I use my regular speakers? Im deaf in my left ear.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I really wanted the Rift S but they are unavailable due to the covid 9

Im also hoovering my finger over the buy button for a reverb. You said the FOV was pretty bad. Why is that? isn't it the same as the Rift S? Can you explain a little more about the FOV? What im hearing is that if you move your eyeballs left or right instead of straight, its blurry. I don't care about the controllers, Im using a HOTUS system X-52 pro. Also not interested in the sound, can I use my regular speakers? Im deaf in my left ear.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I really wanted the Rift S but they are unavailable due to the covid 9
The Rift S I used was just a rubbish display compared with my Reverb, however if I'd never seen the HP, I might've settled - actually no I wouldn't, I would get the 8KX. HP and Pimax really are in their own league; we're much closer to looking at a monitor.

All headsets make the image go soft then blurry as you look away from the sweet spot but the HP is not as bad as the others because it's still a 4k LED panel per eye. The only headset which doesn't have this problem is the XTAL because it uses aspheric lenses instead of fresnel lenses - the former meaning giant headsets to fit them. If you want to pony up 1000s of Euros you can have one of those instead.

After messing with settings yesterday I got the fov to work great in minecraft. It defaults to like 60, and you can adjust it up which fixed it. In ED its pretty cool cruising around. I can't explain in words really. It feels like I am actually in a ship mostly. I don't notice it getting blurry when I move my eyes at all so I'm not sure where you read that. As for the sound, I think you might be able to remove the headset pieces, but I'm not sure as I haven't tried. Sorry I can't help with that, but the sound is great from the headset included and I have some good 2.1 speakers on my pc. Id rather just use the Reverb ones when I play with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom