So I’m just gonna say it. I’m using the advanced docking computer as a vet...

Unlike some who've been with ED since the beginning I'm what you might call 'noobish'. I've got about three weeks of gameplay but have accumulated almost a billion cr's and Fed ranking in that time. When I came to the game I wasn't aware there was a docking computer for my Sidewinder, as a result had to learn and master manual landings/ takeoffs. It wasn't until I read here about a docking computer module being available that I tracked one down and have been using it in all of my ships since. It's a major convinience for a myriad of reasons all of them raised here at the forum. I was one who also wanted to see an un-docking computer element added.
For me, docking and undocking the ship isn't where the 'game play' is.
That being said the advanced docking computer module is optional, no one has to use it. I personally like options and hope future ED updates offer more of them, not less.
Here's my wishlist;

• ability to turn off lights/ HUD in cockpit. More cockpit autonomy
  • change HUD color
  • xBox access to VR, or at least the ability to see more of the ship interiors

Last edited:
...and have been using it in all of my ships since. It's a major convinience for a myriad of reasons all of them raised here at the forum. I was one who also wanted to see an un-docking computer element added.
For me, docking and undocking the ship isn't where the 'game play' is.
Not judgeing, just curious; don't you enjoy the flight model, or find any satisfaction in adept flying, or improving your technique (e.g. FA-off toggling for maneuvers FA-on cannot pull off)?

I first played Frontier (Elite II) in the early '90's, and I was atrocious at it. I never progressed beyond taking off, [sometimes] landing, docking, and getting exploded by pirates... Yet it still had a magic to it, and a wish-fulfillment of having your own spaceship and being in space. I didn't stick with it, but it left an impression. Elite Dangerous was therefore the best kind of nostalgia; how I sentimentally/emotionally remembered it, but vastly improved.

So I always loved the sim-lite elements of this Elite. In the beginning, something like docking could be a tricky, twitchy affair. But years later I can pull off accidentally (didn't notice a commodity was illegal in the system I needed to take it to) needing to smuggle in a Beluga with no shields... The HOTAS helped improve my skills, especially FA-off, but it was the end result of all that learning and improvement. Few other games boast such an organic and intuitive learning curve.

Again, I'm not saying you need to feel the same way at all, I'm just curious why these elements aren't gameplay to you.

Thanks Fray.
Respectfully, I didn't mention any of the things you have in my post. I specifically only referenced the DC module. As I see it and in my opinion, the DC is not directly related to any of the points you referenced. To put a finer point on it; I do enjoy the flight model. I am flying adeptly. I'm alwys improving my technique, particularly as ED requires different techniques for different mission challenges.
Simultaneous to the above, I use the DC. Others may enjoy manual docking after missions. I understand this and take no position on what others enjoy. i find the DC module convenient when it comes to, you know, docking. What piques my own curiosity is why this inspires so much controversy since no one is compelled to use it ?

Not judgeing, just curious; don't you enjoy the flight model, or find any satisfaction in adept flying, or improving your technique (e.g. FA-off toggling for maneuvers FA-on cannot pull off)?

Again, I'm not saying you need to feel the same way at all, I'm just curious why these elements aren't gameplay to you.

Last edited:
Does the new ADC land on planets (not at a space port) or is that still manual?

From what the patch notes suggests and what I'm seeing in the game you are still going to manually land in this case.
Its only simplifying some items but not taking away from the freedom which I think is great.

Respectfully, I didn't mention any of the things you have in my post. I specifically only referenced the DC module. As I see it and in my opinion, the DC is not directly related to any of the points you referenced.
Erm... doesn't landing and taking off require maneuvering the ship and a modicum of skill and experience? Be it flipping FA-off and boosting from an outpost, or coming in faster and smoother than the DC can manage (especially with a large ship), removing taking off and landing by definition removes what many newcomers perceive as a challenging act of flying the ship.
What piques my own curiosity is why this inspires so much controversy since no one is compelled to use it?
I don't see any "controversy" here, and barring the occasional elitist in YT comment sections or trolling people on the forum, I don't think I've ever see any. No one could reasonably object to the DC's inclusion, and, like I said, I argued last year for the DC also enabling take-off's as well (it never made any sense as a one-way system).

My question to you was why don't you consider it 'gameplay', ergo something you wish to ignore. You didn't elaborate. If you're playing intensively, day in, day out, then sure, frankly Elite's a game where you embrace the very zen idea of not-playing-yet-playing the game (at least in certain roles, exploration obviously being a major one).

Btw, how does the DC handle debris in the airlock? Last night I saw a T9 then a Beluga get blitzed in the slot as the AI seemed to just take a vacation... The station even gave me a verbal warning for making contact with another ship when a part of its rather immense wreckage brushed my Mamba. I remember seeing that issue occur last year (large ships just loitering in the slot waiting for their doom), and evidently it's not been fixed yet.

On PC the noob area is something I’m going to try!!!

Is that the official name of the system?

The simple fact is. It still wont prepare you for the 'real world'

The bigest clue that new cmdr have bought credits or have other grind for them is that if you have an Anaconda within a short period but don't know what to do with it. That and don't get the reference about Hutton Orbital. There should be certain markers that need to be met to ensure. Cmdrs who genuinely have walked the walked also developed certain traits that sets them apart from those who have taken short cuts.

I just did it since I was so new to PC.
I'm loving it...honestly its a whole different experience in a good way.

Whats even better...I just saw a mission for 250k to leave the noob area so it's a great experience for new players.
I'm going to play until it kicks me out or until I see something really worth chasing!
I'm 100% using the new modules on a hauler already...which took me a few hours the first time but only 30 mins this time

I'm all for them. A couple of my RL mates gave up on Elite due to the initial difficulty. Alongside the new training options maybe I can get them to have another go.
I know people are worried that new players have no reason to stop using the computer aids, but the docking computer has existed since day dot and very few of us admit to using that 😁
And we do have Flight-assist and yet many players get to a point when they want to try FA-Off and get good at it. The DC will be the same way. Some people will always use them, but probably many will learn how to fly without them.

And I will put one in a few of the ships... only because I like to be lazy with certain ships. :)

I just did it since I was so new to PC.
I'm loving it...honestly its a whole different experience in a good way.

Whats even better...I just saw a mission for 250k to leave the noob area so it's a great experience for new players.
I'm going to play until it kicks me out or until I see something really worth chasing!
I'm 100% using the new modules on a hauler already...which took me a few hours the first time but only 30 mins this time

Well there are triple Elite s around who didn't have any special system.

There is a possibility some might never leave. I guess solo mode is a similar thing.

Take the mission

After trying out the new modules, I've found the advanced docking computer is nice to have. Means a faster turn-around as you can mess about plotting routes, etc, while the DC is taking you out instead of pre-launch.

Found the Supercruise Assist to be a bit naff. Sure it controls your speed, but it makes no effort to orientate you to the station slot. My usual tactic when carrying naughty stuff is to align with the slot in SC, drop out, full throttle through the slot, cut engines and let the DC land.

I think the advanced docking computer has the potential of getting you blown up by the station.
I used it once yesterday and didn’t get out of the station until 2:30 on the countdown...

Time will surely tell... 😂

I think the advanced docking computer has the potential of getting you blown up by the station.
I used it once yesterday and didn’t get out of the station until 2:30 on the countdown...

Time will surely tell... 😂
Someone has already had this happen. I imagine there will be quite a lot of refund claims going into FD unless this is sorted.

After trying out the new modules, I've found the advanced docking computer is nice to have. Means a faster turn-around as you can mess about plotting routes, etc, while the DC is taking you out instead of pre-launch.

Found the Supercruise Assist to be a bit naff. Sure it controls your speed, but it makes no effort to orientate you to the station slot. My usual tactic when carrying naughty stuff is to align with the slot in SC, drop out, full throttle through the slot, cut engines and let the DC land.
Just wait till you use it and a planet/star moves into flight path on longer trips and you slowly cook your ship after you are ejected from super cruse...
As fdev said You have to be willing to over ride it at any second...
Also as you going slower than manual flight its a lot easier for the local cops to catch you up and pull you over...

I know plenty people who quit for this very reason, after about 30m to an hour with the game.
This was exactly what new players needed. I use a DC for docking bc it lets me do other things while docking, but manually undock bc it's far easier and quicker to begin with than docking is, so nothing will change for me. But for many current and potential players, this changes everything.

I may even try the SC-assist sometime. I can imagine it being handy for the final15m of approach on trips to places like Hutton, so you don't overshoot massively while distracted by the book you're reading to pass the trip.

I always thought the DC should be standard option on a ship and not require a ship slot. If its part of the ship you can either opt to use or not...
personally i can dock on my own but i love that it gives me a chance to get up use bathroom, get a drink from fridge, check on kids, etc etc.
i have to see what this new ADC is all about.. i do enjoy flying out of dock manually.

I always thought the DC should be standard option on a ship and not require a ship slot. If its part of the ship you can either opt to use or not...
personally i can dock on my own but i love that it gives me a chance to get up use bathroom, get a drink from fridge, check on kids, etc etc.
i have to see what this new ADC is all about.. i do enjoy flying out of dock manually.
In the old times the docking computer was 10,000 credits. As the only source of income in 3284 was trade it was a very large wedge of Gold Pressed Latinum to get it. When I saw the price in Elite Dangerous was 4,500 I bought three. You young uns don't know you are born. A simple data mission can buy you ten DCs

Top Bottom