So, let's talk about 3.3

So we can talk about Chocolate and Ice Cream or IceCream with Chocolate...Namely a Mars Ice Cream. MMMmmmmmmm!

Nope.

snickersicecream.jpg

:D

Yes many do and what you will find is people have to pay money for them which pays for the development.

Beyond is not paid for at all and if it is ED 2 next year then all this money being spent on ED is down the drain without anyway to get it back. Looks like poor business to me.

Not if ED2 sells for the price of an expansion, is free for all LEP owners, has all of the features of ED1, and works with all store cosmetics too, but also has a much more optimized and future proof core of code.

Why people still insisting on ED 2? :)

Games, especially MMOs, get their parts rewritten completely while game is ongoing. That's part of why they can get so massive.

ED will keep going on, and FD will keep developing and rewriting parts as they will see fit.

Why people still insisting on ED 2? :)

Games, especially MMOs, get their parts rewritten completely while game is ongoing. That's part of why they can get so massive.

ED will keep going on, and FD will keep developing and rewriting parts as they will see fit.

The forum undead have reached the bottom of their comedy barrel'o'doom. So they look to an entirely imaginary version of the game where reality can't constantly prove them wrong.

Not if ED2 sells for the price of an expansion, is free for all LEP owners, has all of the features of ED1, and works with all store cosmetics too, but also has a much more optimized and future proof core of code.

Doesn't matter what price ED2 sells for (if it ever exists at all). Beyond would still be cash flushed down the drain and a whole heap of development which has taken over a year completely wasted.

The reason for beyond series of updates is so there is a good base to be built upon with future updates/expansion (like the exploration update). So what was the point of doing that if it's all being flushed down the toilet next year.

There is no logic to doing ED2 unless it uses all the new stuff being added in beyond to that version and everything else. But then it isn't ED2, just an updated ED with maybe a better code base, but these things get updated all the time anyway, so whats the point in calling it ED2. Might as well just update the client and keep it as ED.

Why are people still talking about ED2, it's an awful travesty of a game. The sooner ED3 gets a release date the better.

Also, Commander Thrust from Bradford said that the ED4 beta he's been playing for the last three months looks very promising.

There is no logic to doing ED2 unless it uses all the new stuff being added in beyond to that version and everything else. But then it isn't ED2, just an updated ED with maybe a better code base, but these things get updated all the time anyway, so whats the point in calling it ED2. Might as well just update the client and keep it as ED.

Bingo. /thread

Yes, absolutely correct. Some people are getting too hung up on the word "sequel". Don't think of an ED2 like an entirely new game, but rather a new core engine from the ground up using a lot of the same code for features as the current game and all of it's assets, including the galaxy.

I'm not saying it will certainly happen, but I do think it's a distinct possibity given what Frontier wants to incorporate into the game going forward. Implementing space legs, better networking, better vehicle support, and a stellar forge with far improved planet tech supporting all world types might simply be easier to accomplish by building a new engine from the byte up, instead of trying to shoehorn it all into the current game. They wouldn't be throwing away all of the work up until now, but rather refactoring it into a new engine where they've learned from the mistakes while coding the current one.

It likely isn't the case, but to casually dismiss it like it can't happen isn't realistic either. It happens all the time in the game's industry, because sometimes when improviing a large game with lots of code it's just easier (and faster) to start new code instead.

Yes, absolutely correct. Some people are getting too hung up on the word "sequel". Don't think of an ED2 like an entirely new game, but rather a new core engine from the ground up using a lot of the same code for features as the current game and all of it's assets, including the galaxy.

I'm not saying it will certainly happen, but I do think it's a distinct possibity given what Frontier wants to incorporate into the game going forward. Implementing space legs, better networking, better vehicle support, and a stellar forge with far improved planet tech supporting all world types might simply be easier to accomplish by building a new engine from the byte up, instead of trying to shoehorn it all into the current game. They wouldn't be throwing away all of the work up until now, but rather refactoring it into a new engine where they've learned from the mistakes while coding the current one.

It likely isn't the case, but to casually dismiss it like it can't happen isn't realistic either. It happens all the time in the game's industry, because sometimes when improviing a large game with lots of code it's just easier (and faster) to start new code instead.

A bit like a Clear Save for Devs :) They can start afresh, but can't unlearn all the experience they've gained meanwhile, and can be back to a fully functioning game relatively quickly.

Agree entirely! Its a very patched game as it stands, quite old in fact (2014?) in terms of technology. This maybe a simple example, but its like performing a clean install of your Windows operating system in a different clean hdd drive, then copying over your most needed data files from your old drive. ;)

Last edited:

We don't know how good the base code is. But they have come out on record to say that the game has been designed so that things like space legs and atmospheric planets can be added (I very much doubt there will be any issues with atmospherics as we already have non-atmoshperics) as they go along. We already have avatar with the holo-me. All that is working okay. To me it looks like they are slowly building up to adding all these things.

Will there be code updates in the future, of course there will be. But I very much doubt they will be building a new engine. I fully expect them to update the current Cobra engine though with newer technologies. Building a brand new cobra engine from the ground up sounds like years of work for not much gain.

I still can't see it. Remember the Cobra engine is extremely verstaile already as we can see from the games that it currently has on it. I really do not see the need to re-create it. Update it, yes, recreation, I doubt it needs it to be honest.

But that's exactly what's happening already. That's called refactoring and that's happening all the time. Parts get rewritten as we speak.

Q4? Why so long wait for it this year? Because it effectively rewrites and redesigns huge parts of the game almost from scratch. Elite next phase? Because it also will take some parts and rewrite them to add more stuff to the game.

FD is not required to make new game because of that. Every major release - ED 1.0, ED 2.0 - has been new game. And even minor versions have brought completely redesigned parts into the game.

Top Bottom