So, let's talk about 3.3

FD cannot manage that for some reason.

They can as they've done a good job of it in the past, they've simply chosen not to for the past two to three years.

I really think it's just a policy of theirs since 2.0 to say as little as possible about development until an update is 98% finished and close to release. This past half year has been better with the introduction of the FFF but they seem terribly unwilling to give anything more than that. And for the exploration stuff they didn't even bother to do an FFF.

I don't know why they are so reluctant to talk about development, but I do know how incredibly frustrating it feels as a fan of the franchise.

Fdev marketing guys are trying to figure out how many bugs X4 will launch with and whether they should release the update before that to capture more audience or just after it to draw people away from someone elses buggy mess to play with theirs.

Let's try this again :-(

Slartibartfast:
Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day.

Arthur Dent:
And are you?

Slartibartfast:
Ah, no. Well, that's where it all falls down, of course.

That said...

Source???

Feeling, as in hunch, guess, fear, ...

If there was money on the line I could probably put something together to back up why I "feel" this way, but there's not so it doesn't matter.

He explicitly said "I'm getting the feeling".
I mean, it's a very wild (and imo not really useful) speculation, but I don't think he needs to quote his own mind as a source?

You want source for a feeling? You fanbois really are getting worse.

If it's any consolation, yes I get that feeling too.

Thanks!

This would be great if true. They need to do things better if they want to keep this up for 3 years.

Good and bad imo.

I am more concerned about how long it’ll be until the stuff after 3.3. The ‘4’ stuff.

I hear that :-(

Everything with Elite is only weeks away. Weeks away for the next release, weeks away for the videos discussing the next release. It'll end up being 20 weeks away. JUST WEEKS!

But its "SO Exciting!"

I just really wish that FD would be honest.

FD demonstrate a complete lack of confidence in themselves when they constantly churn out all this 'soon' and 'excited' .

Other companies manage it better. X Plane dev forum for example: Ask them a question and they give you a straight answer, not always what you want to hear but yes, a straight answer.

FD cannot manage that for some reason.

One company treats their customers for adults, the other one doesn't care.

Question:

After watching the live stream of Citizencon 2018, can Elite Dangerous Beyond Chapter 4 compete when comparing similar features?

Looking at the past 2 years, it's easy to understand why: there was barely anything worth talking about. :)

In all honesty, I feel this might have been the case.

I mean yes Frontier keeps assuring us that they have 100+ dedicated people on Elite, but realistically in the past three years Frontier has developed and released both Planet Coaster and Jurassic Park, plus they are working on one more secret game as well. That's two "crunch times" to release new games. I feel it's pretty likely that they pulled some people off of Elite to help out with both of those game launches. I know they won't ever admit it so there isn't any way we will actually ever know if it happened or not, but looking at the output on Elite itself I do feel like it kind of supports the theory. It certainly would explain a lot, and yeah it would also explain why they've been tight lipped over the course of those years. Uncertainty about timetables and features due to people being jostled around between franchises would practically require silence to accompany it in order to prevent bad press and concerned shareholders.

In either case, "let's talk about 3.3" is a pipedream. At least until Frontier decides its time to talk about it, or at the very least show us something.

At least until Frontier decides its time to talk about it, or at the very least show us something.

I think this is a little unreasonable, we have more information about the likely contents of 3.3 than we would normally have this far before release (assuming late Q4) and more discussion than normal went on (ie more Dev posts) in the first day or so after releasing info in both the important community update and Chapter Four - Exploration Reveal threads.

So while the baseline for regular Frontier news has been too low for the past few years (since around the delayed release of 2.1 from my perspective), for 3.3 at least there has been an improvement and some attempt to engage.

3.0 was a major upheaval of at least two big game elements - C&P and Engineers. Both were contentious & were both positively and negatively received, and I guess Frontier were hoping the attraction to new customers would outweigh those that were put off by the changes.

3.3 is going to have a similar effect for exploration and mining - some will be disappointed, some (hopefully the majority) will prefer it. Some new sales will be generated, some will no longer play as much (and therefore not buy new skins).

I don't think the 100+ staff factoid correlates well to actual man-hours worked on developing the game but anecdotally explorers seem to represent the biggest minority in the community and FDev do seem to acknowledge that it's important they don't screw this one up.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I feel this might have been the case.

I mean yes Frontier keeps assuring us that they have 100+ dedicated people on Elite, but realistically in the past three years Frontier has developed and released both Planet Coaster and Jurassic Park, plus they are working on one more secret game as well. That's two "crunch times" to release new games. I feel it's pretty likely that they pulled some people off of Elite to help out with both of those game launches.

A percentage of them are also working on future updates and expansions after Beyond.

Top Bottom