So, let's talk about 3.3

In all honesty, I feel this might have been the case.

I mean yes Frontier keeps assuring us that they have 100+ dedicated people on Elite, but realistically in the past three years Frontier has developed and released both Planet Coaster and Jurassic Park, plus they are working on one more secret game as well. That's two "crunch times" to release new games. I feel it's pretty likely that they pulled some people off of Elite to help out with both of those game launches. I know they won't ever admit it so there isn't any way we will actually ever know if it happened or not, but looking at the output on Elite itself I do feel like it kind of supports the theory. It certainly would explain a lot, and yeah it would also explain why they've been tight lipped over the course of those years. Uncertainty about timetables and features due to people being jostled around between franchises would practically require silence to accompany it in order to prevent bad press and concerned shareholders.

In either case, "let's talk about 3.3" is a pipedream. At least until Frontier decides its time to talk about it, or at the very least show us something.

"plus they are working on one more secret game as well". They could be working on ELITE DANGEROUS II . . . . . ;)

I'd rather it ship with some thought put into it, than rushed "random time sinks" because the same people chomping at the bit will immediately claim it's rushed, because of course they will. And good work will end up thrown after bad. Kinda over the ordinary outcomes.

Frontier, I hope, has learned some lessons, both understands and has quietly accepted where the engagement actually is at for the Elite Dangerous franchise (outside of these hallowed walls, reality does not match belief) and that they've had basically four years to get their delivery under control and to be able to present an update most can find something positive in.

There are a lot of people who still want Frontier to succeed. Myself included. So there is, still, a huge amount of love for this thing, so Frontier should be proud that four years on their little game is great and get stuck in lads and ladies, 'cause lots more to do yet!

Thus, I want to take the comments made by the sassy-seventeen as an early marker that, perhaps, the long road to improvement is finally being trod. But, we've been here before, so I'm certainly not going to assume anything until at least Beta drops. I am cautiously optimistic and hope the delay is due to the developer understanding the importance of how these mechanics will set the tone for the game, going forward and putting the time in, it will absolutely need. It matters.

I am sure Frontier are motivated for the seasonal break (traditionally a strong source of income) and will deliver in due course; so I can't imagine they will want to leave it till next year.

I just hope the Beta reflects that apparently genuine desire to fundamentally improve the experience, and it's not just endlessly disconnected, repeated steps on the same ladder, that look and sound amazing, but ultimately go nowhere and simply entrench the same sense of disconnect and isolation that has become more common. We've probably had enough of that, now.

It's a fine line, I grant, and I can't and don't expect miracles. Just something that can be done, often, and provide some enjoyment over the long term; something that shows the developer actually has gained some insights into what people do, and why, with mechanics that then respond to that in a positive fashion.

Roll on Beta. No pressure, then. ;)

Last edited:
"plus they are working on one more secret game as well". They could be working on ELITE DANGEROUS II . . . . . ;)

Yeah, the "new era/milestone for Elite" will be the release of the sequel. I would love to watch the fiery catastrophe this forum would turn into :D The flames would be seen from Mars with naked eye [haha][haha][haha]

Experience shows that the X games require tons of patches anyway until they're playble and fun.

They do always release pretty broken, especially the campaigns and some of the worst gamebreaking mission errors stay around for years. X3TC still has issues with things like mission critical targets not spawning even now.

As long as you keep multiple backup saves and never rely on your current mission not breaking everything its usually OK. Just stick with the mission loop till it's done before accepting the next part so you don't risk losing background progress.

It wouldn't make sense either. Why spend a whole heap of money on beyond to give to the players for free, just to scrap it all for ED 2.

In all honesty, in order to incorporate proper space legs into the game they may HAVE to redevelop the entire game into a new one. Elite Deadly so to speak.

Note that this wouldn't necessarily mean a fresh start for players. The new game could seamlessly integrate with the old one, all players stats and paint packs and such could migrate directly into the new engine. Even the galaxy itself with all discovery tags could carry over. From a player perspective it might simply seem like a huge update which overhauled the entire games core.

So why a sequel then at all?

Because in order to incorporate space legs, it might actually be easier to start from scratch than to add it into ED. The current code may be too confuscated, too spaghettified, to make adding such a major addition practical. Frontier has always maintained that "adding space legs will be like making an entirely new game", maybe they meant that literally.

In all honesty, in order to incorporate proper space legs into the game they may HAVE to redevelop the entire game into a new one. Elite Deadly so to speak.

No, developing a sequel would be much too expensive and take at least 3 years. People would complain again about a lack of content. Best thing Frontier can do is to develop procedural tech for the NPCs, cities, biomes and sell it as premium DLC maybe a season pass. The Cobra engine is custom built so Frontier can change anything to make it seamless and fit together.

Last edited:
I can't see why they would need to redevelop the whole game for space legs.

Not that this wouldn't necessarily mean a fresh start for players. The new game could seamlessly integrate with the old one, all players stats and paint packs and such could migrate directly into the new engine. Even the galaxy itself with all discovery tags could carry over. From a player perspective it might simply seem like a huge update which overhauled the entire games core.
As we know the current engine is perfectly capable of first person/third person perspective gameplay (as can be seen in Jurassic World and The Outsider) I fail to understand why FDev would need a new engine

Because in order to incorporate space legs, it might actually be easier to start from scratch than to add it into ED. The current code may be too confuscated, too spaghettified, to make adding such a major addition practical. Frontier has always maintained that "adding space legs will be like making an entirely new game", maybe they meant that literally.
I very much doubt it. FDev have said that the game has been designed so that space legs can be added in the future. As to what they said making an entirely new game, I think they meant mechanics wise. There would have to be a whole new set of gameplay mechanics whereas the SRV uses very similar or identical mechanics to the ships.

Note that this wouldn't necessarily mean a fresh start for players. The new game could seamlessly integrate with the old one, all players stats and paint packs and such could migrate directly into the new engine. Even the galaxy itself with all discovery tags could carry over. From a player perspective it might simply seem like a huge update which overhauled the entire games core.

It might be easier to start from scratch, the core programming/mechanics work is already there, it is possible to work on the rest of the extra options within the game (Elite Dangerous II) concurrently in parallel, whilst still having players online playing Elite Dangerous. IMHO I consider more programming work patching the existing game, than beginning a new another one, adding the original game's best/working options.

Last edited:
It might be easier to start from scratch, the core programming/mechanics work is already there, it is possible to work on the rest of the extra options within the game (Elite Dangerous II) concurrently in parallel, whilst still having players online playing Elite Dangerous. IMHO I consider more programming work patching the existing game, than beginning a new another one, adding the original game's best/working options.

Yep. I know when I've been coding my own games there have been times when I tried to overhaul a code base in order to drastically change it and I ended up starting over instead, because it was just easier than a serious rewrite. And nothing I've ever done is anywhere near the size nor complexity of Elite Dangerous.

Eh, we will know in a year or two.

I'm just pointing out, that while it may be NICE of FDev to release more information, they are not mandated to do so. Some people seem to feel entitled for a constant news stream even though there might be reasons for not having one.

Fdev can do whatever they want no obligation attached, I can however have an opinion about what they do or don't, that has nothing to do with entitlement except my entitlement to have an opinion.
It's not like I'm demanding anything, just sharing my opinion about their communication, or lack thereof, compared to other game devs.

Yes it could!

It wouldn't make sense either. Why spend a whole heap of money on beyond to give to the players for free, just to scrap it all for ED 2.

Many games have major expansions a couple of years prior to the sequel, like Destiny.

That said, some games just keep evolving like WoW.

Hard to guess which way FDev will go

True!

Question:

After watching the live stream of Citizencon 2018, can Elite Dangerous Beyond Chapter 4 compete when comparing similar features?

Yeah, SC looked awesome! I may try it again once 3.35 is out - I need better frame rates and good controller support for flying ships before I'll be able to play it.

Yep. I know when I've been coding my own games there have been times when I tried to overhaul a code base in order to drastically change it and I ended up starting over instead, because it was just easier than a serious rewrite. And nothing I've ever done is anywhere near the size nor complexity of Elite Dangerous.

Eh, we will know in a year or two.

True!

No thanks for ED2. I'd rather have ED evolving and updating than having another Elite game. In fact, I always prefer updated original than sequels in MMOs. Plus, ED isn't even old yet and its graphics is still the BEST of all space sims out there.

Yes it could!

Many games have major expansions a couple of years prior to the sequel, like Destiny.

True!

Yeah, SC looked awesome! I may try it again once 3.35 is out - I need better frame rates and good controller support for flying ships before I'll be able to play it.

True!

I watched that video as well, and it became immediately clear that they are catering to the crowd that plays for the overall experience, as opposed to the dopamine addicts. With the amount of money in question, this might be a very risky strategy indeed. It interests me quite a bit, in fact.

I mean, you might have to wait five minutes for the train. Yes, five whole minutes of doing nothing, which is naturally disrespectful of gamers' time, and is nothing more than a useless time sink keeping them from the *good stuff.*

That's just one example from many.

By the time that game releases, Elite will likely have atmospheric landings, with similar things going on.

Riôt

It might be easier to start from scratch, the core programming/mechanics work is already there, it is possible to work on the rest of the extra options within the game (Elite Dangerous II) concurrently in parallel, whilst still having players online playing Elite Dangerous.

Nope, starting from scratch means they need a seperate team of at least 100 people. That means no more or very few updates for Elite Dangerous since those people would be working on the sequel. Or Frontier needs to hire an additional 100+ people to work on the sequel for at least 3 years. This is unlikely because they're already occupied with Planet Coaster, Jurassic World and the other unannounced IP (Planet Safari).

Look at how slowly Frontier delivers updates and expansions for ED. Dedicating resources on a sequel would make it even slower.

The fastest route is to continue to improve and expand Elite Dangerous with free small updates and premium DLC. They can change the Cobra Engine to integrate procedural tech and EVA. This could be used for other Frontier games in the future.

Last edited:

Yes many do and what you will find is people have to pay money for them which pays for the development.

Beyond is not paid for at all and if it is ED 2 next year then all this money being spent on ED is down the drain without anyway to get it back. Looks like poor business to me.

Top Bottom