So my ship has been grounded for 2 days now. For good? (I hope not!)

Eyes and ears Commanders, I need your help please.

After 1000's of hrs and 4 elite game ranks, my ship has been grounded by the simplest of problems that after hrs of faultfinding, I've been unable to fix.
I cannot get the launcher to run anymore since a game-crash 2 nights ago. Spent ages trying to sort it.
Followed FD Support help page on 'launcher issues' and spent a few hours researching for anything online to go on. I'm pretty good with pc's, s/w, code etc (I built the 6axis simulator for elite) but this is a game-stopper for me. No gaming for 2-days now. I have put a ticket in but not optimistic as there are no clues. I'm stuck.
I've reinstalled latest launcher (clean install) more than once now, checked microsoft.NET all good, DxDiag - no issue, C++redists all good, O/S checks out (chkdsk and system file checker - all no probs), rest of pc, network, software and hardware all unchanged and as perfect as before (4k vid rendering, VR use, web, etc all good). Its just the ED launcher that won't even show itself when I start it. That is the only problem I have. All I get is a windows message saying' elite dangerous launcher has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution'. Message then disappears and hay-ho, nothing. No indication why. This happens before the launcher is even up. I even checked it wasn't the antivirus or update s/w causing the issue.
Only option left is a full wipe and swipe reformat and reinstall 'everything'. Not something I relish unless absolutely necessary (it will take ages with all the 'kit' I run).

So I'm really after any pointers or things to try that I might have missed. So far nothing has worked. The other 99.9% of my setup working as perfectly now as it was before so I don't really wanna wipe it unless last resort. The worst prob I've come across - ever. I cant fix it!
Please help get me back in space,

cmdr B

How about just an un/re-install of Elite?

Or, how about starting the game from the game executive instead of the launcher?

Or.. are you a Steamer? Try a “validate” files?

Check your HDD for faulty sectors?

Or if it’s an SSD, trim it?

Yup,
during my checks I uninstalled 'everything elite' and went to my 'downloadable products' in my store account. Installed the last ED Horizons in the list (2 were beta's and one pre horizons elite vanilla). Was 110Mb compared to launcher files at 40ish?. Tried from launcher - same windows error message. Reboot, then went for the .exe in FD folder files. That just runs the launcher and I get the same prob. Don't think ED can run from .exe without launcher?(never tried it before).

I am on steam - but in my steam account, ED is still started via the ED launcher (ED launcher button on my steam page). I've never used steam for ED (is that when you set it up with a key?) - can I ask if ED runs straight from steam without the ED launcher then (is it just a link straight to the Elite game menu?). If so, that could be something I'd be prepared to set up and try - could get me going again in the meantime.

oh, and HDD is fine

Can anyone verify the process to get elite going through steam (I hope the actual ED launcher is NOT involved)

Steam calls the launcher I'm pretty sure.

So it was a game crash, and hasn't worked since that? I don't suppose there were any new hardware or utilities installed around that time? or even a windows update?

Given what you have tried, I don't think these two things will help, but it will eliminate them as possibilities.

1) Check permissions on the launcher. Windows will not let anything run on bootup when the app is set to run as "administrator". I doubt you did this, but worth checking. You might also add your "local" account name as permissions on the launcher while your in there.
2) Look at "Virus & Security/Ransomware Protection/Manage Ransomware Protection". If it is "on" turn it "off". I found my launcher listed in this list, and no matter what I did, it would not run. Once I turned Ransomware Protection "off" everything started working again. How it gets turned on I do not know. Maybe an update. My machine just took an update yesterday and I found it turned back on. P*****D me off.

Thanks for this, permissions are ok (not admin). I don't have the 'virus & security' you mention on my Win 7 (I did look) - but have ruled that from my own antivirus.

I've also just gotten my steam key for elite. Went onto steam to set it up. All went well until steam then told me to 'run the game first' before the link can be made. Oh well, that's that then. Sheesh

Steam calls the launcher I'm pretty sure.

So it was a game crash, and hasn't worked since that? I don't suppose there were any new hardware or utilities installed around that time? or even a windows update?
Yep, game crash. I was in mainmenu, left my rig to grab a drink from the house, came back and ED was crashed. Also had the nvidia driver fail message too. This does happen on occasion in vr. Usually just starts up ok again. This time tho - no more launcher.

And no new hardware. Also run with updates turned off.

I just thought of this it may not even be applicable with windows 10 and the ability to launch games, but have you tried booting to safe mode with networking to see if it works without arbitrary unneccesary programs and processes running? I use to do this to try and trouble shoot things years ago with XP.

I just thought of this it may not even be applicable with windows 10 and the ability to launch games, but have you tried booting to safe mode with networking to see if it works without arbitrary unneccesary programs and processes running? I use to do this to try and trouble shoot things years ago with XP.
Thanks - I'll give it a try (just for something different to do - lol)

Not really knowing what im doing sometimes with pc problems the most randomley unrelated thing will fix your problem. This can also be quite dangerous! CAREFUL with system restore Ive never had that work out with a windows pc problem and had it wreck my system more than once.

You sound computer savvy, so probably already have, but have you checked event viewer for any errors, either during the time of your original crash or when you try running the game?

If you want to try another pointless (well, running in safe mode is actually not stupid) idea, you could set up another Windows User and try to install and launch the game from there.
Some stuff is installed to AppData and it doesn't always get removed upon un-installation. If something is faulty there a different User might help.

Not really knowing what im doing sometimes with pc problems the most randomley unrelated thing will fix your problem. This can also be quite dangerous! CAREFUL with system restore Ive never had that work out with a windows pc problem and had it wreck my system more than once.

Whoa commander! - you've likely been a great help here.

I'm still mid-process but the pieces could be coming together. AttackChimp mentions 'unplugging the pc'. (I have with the mains power lead) but in my earlier checks I did unplug the network lead then tried the launcher. I couldn't connect to the FD server. I do know that when the launcher usually launched it would have my account name showing on it - so there must be a handshake process.
I've gone into safe mode with networking and the launcher started without a hitch!. Latest launcher but it was orange text so I needed to log in (it should have already known me). I then had to do the verification code bit and the launcher is now normal.
Gonna drop back to 'normal mode' shortly and see if this verification might have sorted it. Else I will repeat and try and figure what the prob could be (somehow). At least I know the launcher is capable of running on my pc (as I know it should).

Good to see the launch screen again (seems like ages). Feel like am making progress - many thanks. I'll keep you posted.

cmdr B

.... still in safe mode. May as well download the main game while I'm here (might take a while tho - d/l speed is not great)

CMDR blastard, sorry to hear about your issues, here are some thoughts which I hope will help:

- It sounds like you already rebooted your system at least once based on your reference to "safe mode." I wouldn't recommend trying to run games in safe mode, however; it is a temporary solution to allow users to run Windows in order to fix issues preventing running in normal mode. Since windows is running the bare minimums in safe mode, games often just won't work. Regular rebooting is good for your PC, you really shouldn't run it for more than a couple days without rebooting. I keep mine off when not in use, less wear and tear due to heat on the internals.

- I have the Steam version of ED, sounds like you do also? I always do game updates through Steam and not the launcher, because the launcher often freezes up partway through. (I do go directly to the launcher for regular use though.) Steam has the ability to fire up the launcher in a variety of modes (with Horizons or without); I guess these are probably command line parameters. Try running through Steam without Horizons to see what you get?

- Before doing a full reinstall, try verifying the install via Steam. Steam just does a really good job of file management, if something got corrupted due to your crash this might replace the broken files.

Good luck, CMDR!

I stopped the game download in safemode as the speed dropped very low. Instead, I rebooted into normal mode and tried the launcher. Back to no-go again. Wont download the main game 'till the launcher is sorted. So its fine in safe mode but something in normal is causing the prob. I'll have to call it a day for today (9hrs on and off - phew).

Maybe fresh start after work tomorrow - gotta figure how to find the offending file(s).
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Top Bottom