So Sandro Sammarco has moved aside. Who has taken the reins then?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I heard this on the most recent live stream. I'm curious who is lead designer now and what this means for the future of Elite Dangerous?

Have any of the discussed issues that Sandro took into consideration been passed forward to the team or have they been put aside for now?

For example, a minor, but nonetheless annoying one, which Sandro himself remarked upon. Target Lock Breaking spamming. A single commander using a couple of Advanced Plasmas with rapid fire can effectively render a target incapable of locking onto their foe. Add two or more commanders in a wing using these and you can see where I am going...

What of all the other considerations?

I'm very interested in hearing officially what this means for the future of Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:
Check the credits in the beta, they have changed.

Laurence Oldham is shown as Game Director now.

Last edited:
No more crazy ideas like powerplay one would imagine

The only thing that held powerplay back was this modes system we have where people think everything has to be equal.

What he built was great. But we needed rules to make it work.

I dont know what was holding this decision back for so long. But its a goddamn shame it happened that way.

#SandroDidNothingWrong.

Well!!!!!

Perhaps I'm happy to see him leave. Honeslty I haven't enjoyed any of the changes made in the last 2 years...I know that saying a lot. SOme may ask why am I here.

Well I've taken two looong breaks for many months...and this beta exploration and mining is some of the most gosh awful tedious grdining, crawling changes thus far. If Lawrence is responsible for Beyond changes tho...things may have gone from not so good to very bad.

Game director and lead designer are two different jobs. I'm pretty sure Sandro is still lead designer.

Have a look at the credits in both live & beta, they are different. Sandro moved to another project according to Ed Lewis on the last livestream, it came up as a question in chat.

Have a look at the credits in both live & beta, they are different. Sandro moved to another project according to Ed Lewis on the last livestream, it came up as a question in chat.

Huh, well look at that. :eek:

Probably moved to the new upcoming mystery IP they still haven't announced yet.

Moby Games lists Laurance Oldham as "Head of Design", and Sandro Sammarco as "Lead Designer" for Elite Dangerous. So perhaps Sandy has been reporting to him all along anyway?
Both are simply listed as "Lead Designer" on LinkedIn.

Regardless, the game feels more and more like it's being built by committee - bits and pieces do mesh together, but quite often recent design decisions have been made which just don't fit in with the existing game/lore/look/feel. Either completely contradicting existing lore, being inconsistent with existing game mechanics/UI, or just being inconsistent from a player impact perspective.

They really need a reorg which puts a single person in charge who has a strong interest and mandate to tie it all back together again. Otherwise it will feel more and more like a game consisting of numerous mini-games instead of an immersive future reality(**) which supposedly was the original aim.

I guess they're chasing mass-market appeal..

----

** by this I don't necessarily mean "realistic" in the sense of actual physics etc, but immersive in the sense of being self-consistent.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom