So.....that Tech Broker

Eh? It's not personal if everyone gets them.

To me the problem is visible when people talk about what they want - story version: "So the tech guy says there's a rumour that a crashed ship has a data core with info about a new type of module and he'll build you one if you get it" - grinder sees: black box retrieval mission. story version: "This tech guy has a new type of scanner based on alien tech - it'll need three samples of alien tech and a load of platinum" - grinder sees: urgh &*(&(ing mats grind etc

Can go on like this forever. Some won't be happy until story is shoved down their throats with voice acted cutscenes and a third-act betrayal, others fill in the gaps themselves - and others yet will only ever see it as grind in the way.

I look forwards to seeing what they try, but I'm not dis-spirited just because those other groups exist.

It's not personal right now either.

As I said, there have been lots of good examples of player driven story delivered to date. Stuff that was really fun to engage in. But it was only truly there for a tiny fraction of the player base. The rest of us just got to read about it.

Maybe you feel it'll just be a grind story. I don't know, I think FD have proved they're both willing and capable of producing great narrative for players. They've just not opted to do it for the individual yet.

Am I wrong?

Eh? It's not personal if everyone gets them.

To me the problem is visible when people talk about what they want - story version: "So the tech guy says there's a rumour that a crashed ship has a data core with info about a new type of module and he'll build you one if you get it" - grinder sees: black box retrieval mission. story version: "This tech guy has a new type of scanner based on alien tech - it'll need three samples of alien tech and a load of platinum" - grinder sees: urgh &*(&(ing mats grind etc

Can go on like this forever. Some won't be happy until story is shoved down their throats with voice acted cutscenes and a third-act betrayal, others fill in the gaps themselves - and others yet will only ever see it as grind in the way.

I look forwards to seeing what they try, but I'm not dis-spirited just because those other groups exist.
But they didn’t even put in the effort to make it a mission... There’s literally zero story involved right now. Just a list of materials. I’m not asking for much, but something, anything is better than this, even just some flavour text as to how and why they would make that technology for you and how they came across it would be nice. But noooooo a mere description of the item it is.

Last edited:
But they didn’t even put in the effort to make it a mission... There’s literally zero story involved right now. Just a list of materials. I’m not asking for much, but something, anything is better than this, even just some flavour text as to how and why they would make that technology for you and how they came across it would be nice. But noooooo a mere description of the item it is.

Jump in that beta and give feedback! They'll appreciate it.

Top Bottom