So the Cobra engine can do TAA...

I’ve got TAA active in SkyrimVR, looks really nice and the shimmering is awful without it. The existing AA in Elite is not that great to my HMD enclosed eyes - though the picture is getting slightly better as my hardware gets better I’d much rather a less costly software solution did the trick :)
How did you activate TAA in Skyrim? I didn't know it was natively supported.
By the way Skyrim can be played with internal super sampling as well as SteamVR super sampling. Since Skyrim is not that GPU demanding you can go for 2xSSAA or 400% in SteamVR on a 1080Ti and hit 90 Fps easily.

I give up. Where is the difference?
I bet the lower image is TAA, since it induces a bit of blur. While the upper image's trees seem unfiltered, which are not covered by MSAA (unless it has been specifically adapted to cover transparent textures).

Last edited:
Seems that it is an nVidia feature - which means that it would only benefit a subset of PC players and would not benefit console players at all in this or the next generation of consoles - which may mean that there's no compelling cost/benefit in revising COBRA to include it.
That's not true. Temporal Anti-Aliasing is supported by both AMD and Nvidia on their GPUs.

From a recent PCGamer article:
Temporal Anti Aliasing (TAA or TXAA): TXAA was initially supported on Nvidia's Kepler and later GPUs, but more general forms of temporal anti-aliasing are now available and are typically just labeled TAA. TAA compares the previous frame with the current frame to look for edges and help remove jaggies. This is done through a variety of filters and can help reduce the 'crawling' motion on edges, which looks a bit like marching ants.

Kepler was the tech behind the GeForce 6xx and 7xx series of Nvidia GPUs.

Meanwhile, the Radeon X800 was the first GPU from AMD to support a type of TAA, back in 2004 (X800 review from TechReport). Of course, better versions of TAA are now available and supported.

Edit: JWE supports TAA on GPUs from both Nvidia and AMD - from this Steam forums discussion:
Off is no Anti-Aliasing so you will have the most amount of jaggies and temporal shimmering. Usually you don't want no AA.

(Recommended) TAA = Temporal Anti-Aliasing and offers the highest quality post-process AA to date, and this game seems to keep it quite sharp so you shouldn't have to worry too much about added blur even on a lower resolution like 1080p.
^By solving Temporal Shimmering like most AA methods fail to do, take note of how good the game looks in motion too!

Upscaled TAA = The same as above, but the game is rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled to fit your display, this can save on performance but the added blur is noticable at 2560x1440 and gave me eye strain. I used it at first thinking it was the opposite meaning it rendered at a larger res for a finer image but that is not the case.

PS: As for the overall settings I wouldn't know the key offenders on performance because I've just 100% maxed it and it runs great on RX Vega LC, however the game does use a lot of Vram so if you have only 4gb or less you'll want to monitor your Vram usage with some program and adjust settings from there, or just play it safe and lower your Texture resolution which should put you in the clear of running into a Vram limit.

As for the rest just load up the game and toggle them and see what the FPS/visual impact is.

Last edited:
Hallelujah! This first got mooted in the forums about 2016/7 as a replacement for the highly ineffective antialising we have in game now. SO... if its in cobra for Jurassic World, its only a small hop to enable it in Elite, which will drastically improve visual acuity, particularly in stations and virtually anywhere in VR.

The Replicated Man

T
Awe, I clicked this link looking for changes to the Cobra 3's engines. I am sad :(

Asteroid.jpg

How did you activate TAA in Skyrim? I didn't know it was natively supported.
By the way Skyrim can be played with internal super sampling as well as SteamVR super sampling. Since Skyrim is not that GPU demanding you can go for 2xSSAA or 400% in SteamVR on a 1080Ti and hit 90 Fps easily.
In-game graphics settings menu, “Temporal AA”, it’s just under the rain occlusion setting.

I’ve stayed away from the game supersampling and used the SteamVR per-app slider, I run Skyrim at 150% and in the Rift S that’s nice and clear enough for me.

I tried retracing my steps to find the 2016 discussion about temporal anti-aliasing, but drew a blank, but as a VR player (when not wearing an eyepatch IRL) the flickering jaggies in stations really grate my nerves, so I welcome this, no matter what the performance hit is, I'll throw hardware at it.

In-game graphics settings menu, “Temporal AA”, it’s just under the rain occlusion setting.

I’ve stayed away from the game supersampling and used the SteamVR per-app slider, I run Skyrim at 150% and in the Rift S that’s nice and clear enough for me.
Thanks. Reading through some commentaries complaining about blurrines on reddit, I think I will stick to MSAA and in-game SSAA for best clarity.
I would be really cool if FDev would add MSAA to the rendering pipeline. But considering only very few studios implemented MSAA to their deferred renderer, it is very unlikely FDev will implement it this late in the development cycle.

Yes, please I beg Frontier to enable Temporal Anti Aliasing, TAA or TXAA for elite Dangerous. Some people don't like it, but many people like it. It's in GTAV, and War Thunder and for me it looks great in VR, a must, without me it looks more realistic that things get a little blurred in the distance than all this shimmering due to sharp aliasing.

Top Bottom