Horizons So the planets, moons and stations all rotate and orbit, but...

... do the stars orbit the center of the galaxy?

Without looking it up, I believe Sol orbits our galaxy's center roughly once every 250 million years.
Just curious if the stars and their associated systems in EDH are orbiting as they should be. Not that it makes any appreciable difference, as it would be barely perceptible if at all, but just wondering if Frontier chose to get that detailed with it or not.

Kissinger

Banned
Of course this detail is built in. All you have to do is play the game for 1 million years, and you will notice that all stars have shifted by about 0.7 degrees about the galactic centre.

(p.s. Don't overclock your processor, as your computer might not last for the full million years. Oh, and stay off the carbs and alcohol to ensure your own longevity.)

(p.p.s. You would really need to be outside our Galaxy to observe this - I'm sure your spacecraft would adapt to this pitifully slow angular rotation rate by minuscule default at every opportunity, and make it impossible to observe from within.)

Last edited:
We are just 400 billion systems in 1 Galaxy with just as many Galaxies in the 13 billion years old Universe. Can we expect to have more Galaxies in future or do we have enough for a lifetime I wonder...

Last edited:
Of course this detail is built in. All you have to do is play the game for 1 million years, and you will notice that all stars have shifted by about 0.7 degrees about the galactic centre.

(p.s. Don't overclock your processor, as your computer might not last for the full million years. Oh, and stay off the carbs and alcohol to ensure your own longevity.)

(p.p.s. You would really need to be outside our Galaxy to observe this - I'm sure your spacecraft would adapt to this pitifully slow rotation rate by minuscule default at every opportunity, and make it impossible to observe from within.)

Oops, I meant to post this on the Frontier forum, not the Steam forum, because I was hoping for mature answers and...

Oh wait.

Yeah, you see, that's why my post included the disclaimer that I was just curious, along with the information that I am aware that it wouldn't make any 'appreciable difference' - hoping to avoid smartass answers and all, but I suppose I can't prevent the internet from being the internet no matter how hard I try.

I sure hope not.

Having a feature eat up resources and produce absolutely no perceivable effect? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Oops, I meant to post this on the Frontier forum, not the Steam forum, because I was hoping for mature answers and...

Oh wait.

Yeah, you see, that's why my post included the disclaimer that I was just curious, along with the information that I am aware that it wouldn't make any 'appreciable difference' - hoping to avoid smartass answers and all, but I suppose I can't prevent the internet from being the internet no matter how hard I try.

Ahh, but was it a mature question? ;-) Think of the absolutely enormous number of calculations required to track the orbit of each of the 400 or so billion stars, which not only orbit the centre of the galaxy, but move with respect to each other: oscillating up and down from the galactic plane, moving in and out of spiral arms; the complexity is extreme. All that work and effort for what? Something you wouldn't notice for 20,000 years? Hmmm...

On the other hand, the stars within a radius of, say, 50 LY of Sag* A actually move noticeably fast enough within a realistic gameplay timeframe. The closest ones take just days to orbit. They may have simulated that.

Ahh, but was it a mature question? ;-) Think of the absolutely enormous number of calculations required to track the orbit of each of the 400 or so billion stars, which not only orbit the centre of the galaxy, but move with respect to each other: oscillating up and down from the galactic plane, moving in and out of spiral arms; the complexity is extreme. All that work and effort for what? Something you wouldn't notice for 20,000 years? Hmmm...

On the other hand, the stars within a radius of, say, 50 LY of Sag* A actually move noticeably fast enough within a realistic gameplay timeframe. The closest ones take just days to orbit. They may have simulated that.

Well I tried to phrase it in a mature manner. I'm not sure there's any such thing as an immature question, but basically I was wondering just how far they took the simulation. I mean, we can expect the planets, their associated moons, and the stations to go about their routine orbits and revolutions, and to me that would seem to be a mind-boggling amount of calculations alone, and yet it happens, so Frontier is doing it and apparently came up with a way to solve the problem.

And I was just coming back here to point out that yeah, the stars closer to the galactic hub do move faster, and even perceptibly so, as I believe it's in studying their motion that led to the idea of there being a black hole at the center, but you beat me to it. :eek:

Anyway, as I said, it was just curiosity more than anything. I got a bit irritated earlier because I wasn't expecting to be ridiculed for curiosity. But it's really my fault, I suppose, for letting my guard down and forgetting that the internet is often bored and petty enough to ridicule strangers for no reason at all, a situation which is amplified considerably when even the slightest possibility for ridicule exists.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, If you're the first person in a system, the orbital rotation of that system starts from a zero-situatio, which is always the same.. try it.. find a system that is not often visited. I promise you, everytime you are the first player to jump in, the instance starts, and the orbits start. The station at the closest planet to the star is always behind the planet in this starting position.

Now this makes perfect sense.. Calculating the orbits of trillions of objects in real time requires some serious cloud computing.. but hey, what do we have here? Aren't we all a cloud when connected to the server? :)

Top Bottom