SO TIRED of trying to find Pharmaceutical Isolators & Military SuperCaps

i call bull on that. i've been around a while. mats from USS is worse.

I haven't visited a USS for mats in years, I would suggest USSs as a source of mats only as a last resort.

Bug or not, perhaps it's worth bearing in mind that combat Corvette PvE top dog you want is very good, lots of players use one & every one of those went through what you are going through now to build it.

My epic alt (also has most bubble engineers unlocked, missing only Lori, Bill Turner and Palin&Chloe)
It's really not that hard.

1615214816646.png

1615215289364.png
1615215324603.png

...I want to play the game. I want to build a corvette to do PvE. I need to engineer it as well. Engineering requires mats. I go get those mats. But some of those mats are unobtainable unless i trade for them at a ridiculous trade rate. all of a sudden, the game becomes tedious. i say the heck with it and go find a more enjoyable way to pass the time. another player leaves the game. the game is left with people like you that would be content to do what the developers tell you to do. well....you keep on, lemming.

Play the game, learn how to get materials and, most importantly, what to do to improve your chances to get G5 materials.
Just remember that they are supposed to be rare and some of them actually are rare (Improvised Components, Pharmaceutical Isolators and Military SuperCaps).

OK. at 6:1 for grade 5, the traders are a joke.

the fact of the matter is this: all other grade 5 mats are available except Pharmaceutical Isolators. I would add Military Grade Alloys to this, but apparently they are out there.

If you can't find it the same as other Grade 5 mats, then it shouldn't be a grade 5 mat. You make it the same or you make it something else. Is there any logic here????

If you can trade mats, why can't you just buy them? Again...there is no logic to this game.

Prior to the rework, PIs could be found. Now, no chance in hades.

And let me add something about these signal sources. It is STUPID when you pop into a system and find an HGE. Then to see its 200,000Ls away and there is only 2 minutes left. Whomever thought this would be better than the old way is a monumental idiot.

Games should be fun. This is not fun. It is stupid. There is enough stupidity in the world right now. I come here to escape for a few hours. I took a 15ish month break after they did the stupid planet scanning thing because it is more tedious now. Looks like another break is needed. Permanent perhaps. God help online games if we ever win the right to sell our accounts.
So far it's been my experience that a 6:1 trade off gets me the mats I need more quickly than trying to find them in space and much faster than a forum whinge

Take part in the latest CG... pirate activity level 6 have waves and waves of strong, highly engineered Anacondas that often have Pharmaceutical Isolators as loot when then are destroyed. I have completely maxed out my Isolator storage thanks to this CG alone.
If you enjoy combat...

There has to be other options which currently there a very few.

Fdev has created a farcical grind system which has been often criticed and now we will get the same drivel when Odyssey drops.

Here's the actual truth, from someone who actually did the grind to fill mats of all classes (long post - bereft all hope thee who... y'know):

Let's formalize some things first:
1. Combat Aftermath does not yield materials anymore, at max a mini-mission for some faction where you have to recover data from a derelict ship.
Ironically, if you read the game help, pharmaceutical isolators, improvised components and military supercapacitors were all found at the Combat Aftermaths in the past, so you know where the shortage come from.
2. Raw materials of all classes - easily found on worlds with Bio/Geo features (see the Sanguineous Rim method).
3. Currently I don't know and I don't think there is a sure-fire method to acquire Data materials, unless of course playing the game (what means scanning ships/high wakes, scavenging POI's or doing settlement missions) or using the materials trader, what brings us to...
4. Manufactured materials, the only ones that can't be farmed on HGE or USS are the Biotech Conductors (maybe Exquisite Focus Crystals as well I don't really know). I never saw any mission handing out military supercapacitors, honestly, but the galaxy is a big place.
5. From observation, HGE are easier to spawn on highly populated systems (> 3m for the absolute minimum, the more the better). Also it HAS TO HAVE high traffic ( ideally >150 ships), otherwise you'll have to spend much more time waiting around for HGE to spawn.
6. Also, from observation, it is easier to HGE to spawn for the controlling faction then it is for the others (from now on, always suppose the results are from observations unless stated otherwise).
7. Since materials are apparently dependent on faction affiliation first, then state of the faction, you'll want to search for these on independent systems with the majority of it consisting of independent factions as well, otherwise you will get more CD Composites and Imp Shielding than anything. On independent systems, the chance of spawning Thermic Alloys, Proto Heat Radiators etc... are higher than spawning MS's, PI's or IC's so... account for that.
8. For some reason, player interactions with the BGS generate more BOOM state systems than anything else, so you may have to take a road trip.
9. There's that trick when you find very rare materials where you Alt+F4, and, you know....

Now the catch-22:
Since there's a higher chance for HGE's to spawn for the controlling faction than the other ones, you want it ( the controlling faction) and, ideally, some other faction sharing the state of the material you're looking for.
So suppose you're looking for Pharmaceutical Isolators (PI's). You'll want ideally an independent or allied system where the controlling faction is on Outbreak, where there's more independent factions than empire or federation ones and ideally where some of those factions are also on Outbreak (you can use Inara.cz to search for that).
I am under the impression the MS's, PI's and IC's HGE last shorter than the others. They last about 15 mins when other HGE last 25-30 mins, so there's that. When you find a 15 min HGE that you didn't scan before 9 out of 10 is what you're looking for.

So, to sum up:
- High population, high traffic (>3m, >150 ships)
- Correct faction affiliation, (no feds or imperials controlling the system)
- Correct faction proportion, (more independent or allied factions than anything else)
- Correct faction state proportion. (more factions sharing the same status than anything else)

P.S.:
PI - Pharmaceutical Isolators. Found at Outbreak systems (High Grade Emissions).
MS - Military Supercapacitors. Found at War/Civil War systems (High Grade Emissions).
IC - Improvised Components. Fount at Civil Unrest systems (High Grade Emissions).

Rare materials like Heat Vanes are found at Encoded Emissions under the same conditions.
You can also get these materials by pirating haulage vessels (and destroying the ship afterwards) on Outbreak/Civil Unrest systems or actually attacking authority ships on War/Civil War systems OUTSIDE the CZ's (I did not do the latter, but pirating I did and it worked, and, presumably, by extension, destroying authority ships should also work (beware of the bounties though)).

Using the strategies above plus the Alt+F4 trick, I maxed out all components in three days. So good luck to y'all (or use the materials trader) ;)

Last edited:
I'm trying a build to see what happens. To do it up right, I guess I can get around to finally unlocking that whole Juri Ishmak chain. I have to collect some combat bonds for this dude? This Engineering is such a grind.

Top Bottom