So what are your favorite deep space explorer ships?

Krait Phantom does all I need, but the view could be better.
My sense of view changes depending if I'm playing in VR or flatscreen. I actually like the Phantom's "obstructions" in VR, as they add a sense of depth and scale to the environment around me. Now if I'm more interested in "surround view", the Eagle is amazing in VR. Being able to look behind me and see my wings is pretty spectacular. As for "looking through the floor" views, that's where the Type-7 really shines IMO.

Dolphin. For when I want to explore in luxury.
I used to love the Dolphin, but the cockpit is such a terribly lazy design (copy-n-paste mirrored panels) compared to the newer ships that I just couldn't enjoy it anymore, especially in VR where this really is evident.

I prefer my AspX. The classic way to explore. I directly fell in love with the view out of the cockpit window. Combines a good amount of maneuvrability, space for modules and everything.

But I will try out a Phantom and maybe a Clipper as well.

I prefer my AspX. The classic way to explore. I directly fell in love with the view out of the cockpit window. Combines a good amount of maneuvrability, space for modules and everything.

But I will try out a Phantom and maybe a Clipper as well.
If you give the Clipper a light blue hud* as well you may never want another ship again (if you're on the PC of course)

*Don't go too strong and lean to green tone blue!

I think my lack of VR is the main reason why I don't really mind the cramped cockpit view of Anaconda like many people seem to. If there's something to see outside, I look from the external cam, otherwise it's mainly stars and instrument flight after all.

Yeah, I think that's often the difference. With VR, the canopy can make a huge difference in the overall experience. What killed the anaconda for me was trying to do some canyon flying. I couldn't see the canyon much at all without rolling the ship sideways. The Lakon ships give you a helicopter-like experience, which is awesome. ;)

Krait Phantom for most exploration
Imperial Clipper for exploration and mat gethering
DBX if I know I am going to places that will be difficult to land a larger ship
Anaconda and DBX engineered for jumping to places like Colonia

Phantom, Phantom aaaand Phantom. My first explorer was DBX. Asp is the last ship that I'd like to have, so after DBX I used Chieftain. Then a Krait MkII. Tried Anaconda too, but my ultimate-all-time-love ship for exploring is The Phantom. Also for anything.

Phantom, Phantom aaaand Phantom. My first explorer was DBX. Asp is the last ship that I'd like to have, so after DBX I used Chieftain. Then a Krait MkII. Tried Anaconda too, but my ultimate-all-time-love ship for exploring is The Phantom. Also for anything.
The Phantom also comes with a Rubik's Cube (or is it a Companion Cube?) to keep you company out in the black :D

I've also included a couple of images of my Phantom, which recently received a new paint job. Having tried a couple of different paints, the simple Tactical White ended up being my favorite.

Attachments

• krait toy.jpg
    krait toy.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 247
  • white1.jpg
    white1.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 247
  • white2.jpg
    white2.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 205
Hm, there's an interesting thought. Care to share a screenshot, or even better, the values?
.10,.90, 0
.85,.10, 0

.10,.90, 0
.90,.10, 0

For Deep space try
Not so good in the bubble as it affects the faces to much... the choice is yours test at Arkku dot com.

Had a lot of fun exploring in a AspX but I really hate how bare the interior is behind you (playing in vr). The type 9 however has a great view and a more lively interior.

The T9's view is really unmatched. Though the AspX lets you look over your shoulder and see behind you a little better, between the two. But the T9's steering, and lackluster jump range wore me down after a while. I flew it for about half of DW2 and still loved it. After a while though, I was ready for something with better speed and handling. ;)

Yeah, I think that's often the difference. With VR, the canopy can make a huge difference in the overall experience. What killed the anaconda for me was trying to do some canyon flying. I couldn't see the canyon much at all without rolling the ship sideways. The Lakon ships give you a helicopter-like experience, which is awesome. ;)

Planet related activities can be problematic, but you can get around that with the Camera Suite to a degree. That's what I started doing with Guardian and Thargoid ruins. What you cannot overcome is the constant eye strain from the entire dash being overly bright. It's like looking out the window directly at the sun every time you jump.

I love my Anaconda but that's one issue that's annoyed the heck out of me. They fixed it at one point, then changed it back.

EliteDangerous64 2018-09-16 12-00-29.jpg

Both Kraits for their range and versatility. AspX as always and the Orca which was surprisingly good. Recently bought and kitted out a Beluga for that more expansive bridge feeling and wider view and will take it out in the next few months.

Mhmmm … it's my Kassiopeia, an Anaconda. First time to the Crab Pulsar and afterwards to BP was with my Kassandra, an AspX (without Guardian Booster). And I remember these two expeditions fondly. And yes, I still really like Kassandra and I became a bit melancholic when I left her afterwards … but than I bought Kassiopeia (which was my goal all along). Originally I hadn't enough money to totally, completely upgrade her to the highest jumprange. So I started grinding it out. … … … But out of the black a voice was calling and while I was with her on my way to a station I … well, I couldn't ignore said voice any longer and I said to myself "Screw this! Yeah, I'm not completely equipped with everything, but I head out there at once". … And that's how my journey around the galaxy started. With her I've been for the first time at the end (almost) of Outer Arm Vacuus and the Persues Arm. With her I was all by myself in a galactic sector at the edge and to the right of the north-south-meridian when the FSS update came … thus, getting a lot of entries into the Codex everybody can see. I surfed coronal mass ejections with her and at the very end I almost crashed her because of stupidity (and possibly space madness). Later she got different dresses (but I always get back to yellow) and I went on DW2 with her, and afterwards I conquered my fear and learned how to neutron boost with her. I've shown her the highest reachable system (and almost didn't make it back), the landable planet with the highest gravity and the world of death (which almost killed her).

Yes, I read all you write why it isn't the perfect ship … and I even agree with you. The "view", the empty cockpit, she flies like a wet sack full of bricks (especially with underpowered engines) … but I don't care. This is all about the personal relationship I have with Kassiopeia … I'm the only one here, using the name of the ship instead of what kind of model it is … I'm never far away from her and whenever I leave the bubble (or it's vicinity) is Kassiopeia the beauty I fly … hell, once I even shipped my Chicken of Doom (a T9) to Colonia because I wanted to mine there … well, that was expensive but it didn't feel right NOT to take Kassiopeia to fly there.

That however doesn't mean I don't enjoy flying my (few) other ships. Kassandra whenever i need to go to somewhere a bit farther away but still close to the bubble. My Chicken of Doom, for mining and trading. My Kalypso (a Cobra MK III) right now to deliver Hutton Mugs and than there is ITALKALOT (the Sidewinder I started with) when i just want to have some fun flying.

But deep space exploring … well, that's the domain of Kassiopeia :)

Asp Explorer was the ship I wanted to hate so much but grew to love instead. Great cockpit, learned to love it’s design and it’s a great overall workhorse. The range doesn’t hurt either. I tried the Phantom and it’s great and all but I really disliked the view from the sides which was being blocked.

The Asp gives me everything I need with only 2ly less jumprange than my Phantom, so I’m not missing out much.

Tried many other ships: Clipper, Anaconda, Krait Mk2, DBX, Orca, Beluga, Cobra. Only the DBX and Cobra were as fun as the Asp. Do wanna try the Courier at some point though.

Phantom for versatility and ungankable combo of shields and speed.

iClipper for supercruise mobility and basking

Beluga for when I just want to bring everything and still have the supercruise maneuverability of a medium pad ship.
Also because if I don't say this Rick will gank me next time we meet.

I think my answer would be shorter if you'd ask what my least favorite are.
So far I liked most of the ships I took on longer trips:
Cobra Mk.III
Dolphin
Asp Ex
Anaconda
Imp Clipper
Imp Cutter
Krait Mk.II
Krait Phantom
Orca

Top Bottom