So you want to know about the Formidine Rift? (Part 3)

[*]Star systems appear to be arranged a little strangely in the rift - for instance if you check the galaxy map in the vicinity of the rift (filter to display unscoopable star types only), you'll find they only exist on a layer below the galactic plane.
[/LIST]

may be that the upward stars are obscured ? hidden ?

The area beyond the rift is so far, composed mainly of M class stars with very little in the way of planets. Mostly ice balls... I'm skirting the inner edge of the outer arm from the Heisenburg bridge towards the R-R line. Stunning views of the galaxy though..... From a certain group of systems I'm aiming for, I plan to keep going clockwise following the outer arm until I can cross back towards the bubble. I have had word from the bubble that my SRV which has been ordered for many months is due to arrive in the next week or two so I'm going to head home after this small trip and re-equip. I think I may have left the oven on....

Just a favour.

Not sure I can make it tonight, but can someone check out the "GLUFEE ZY-J B22-1" region. It is directly above waypoint 6 of the CoR patrol route.

Why? It lies almost exactly on the RR line, and is on the Galactic plane, rather than underneath it as WP6 is. Its also an area I know little about. In fact, I was very surprised to see a new region name pop up when I looked.

Gypsy out.

Greetings all,
I am out past the Heart and Soul nebula and heading in the general direction of the rift (I think). From what I can gather we are looking for something but we don't know what, or where it is. This trip is as mad as a box of frogs :)
Where is everybody? Where is most effort being concentrated - within the rift or on the other side?

Greetings all,
I am out past the Heart and Soul nebula and heading in the general direction of the rift (I think). From what I can gather we are looking for something but we don't know what, or where it is. This trip is as mad as a box of frogs :)
Where is everybody? Where is most effort being concentrated - within the rift or on the other side?

Greetings,
There are people on the edge, inside and beyond. Some research areas are defined (R/R line, CoR's patrol on the edge, ketchup zone etc ...) but everyone is free to search wherever he wants.
Most of these informations are on the first page, in fact, all the necessary informations and links are on the first page.

Here you can see where everybody is.
And a link to the mother of all the Rift related spreadsheet.

Last edited:
  • Star systems appear to be arranged a little strangely in the rift - for instance if you check the galaxy map in the vicinity of the rift (filter to display unscoopable star types only), you'll find they only exist on a layer below the galactic plane.

I'd consider getting rid of this bit. There's a galactic wide brown dwarf layer that goes from -25 to -45 on the Y axis (and gets thicker and denser closer to the core). It's not a Rift related phenomena. It starts to fizzle out near the edge of the Galaxy.

Just a side note (and i think discussed a bit back in the Soontill thread) but Drews version (Oolite) of Thargoids also have a fondness for Bible Verses and Bella Principessas ;)

VULGATE DUO QUINDECIUM NOVEM
RAGAZZA DUX DUCIS INCOLUMITAS
(quoting Thargoids from Incursio)

Not sure how or if any of that would translate into Elite.. but still

[/LIST]

I'd consider getting rid of this bit. There's a galactic wide brown dwarf layer that goes from -25 to -45 on the Y axis (and gets thicker and denser closer to the core). It's not a Rift related phenomena. It starts to fizzle out near the edge of the Galaxy.
Not quite so my friend, it becomes extremely strange in it's nature at the rift.

The three layers separate out in the rift area with a distinct 25ly gap between the bread-jam-bread and for much of it the unscoopables are replaced a thin maze of M-class and a few unscoopables which completely dies out in the thinnest part. There are chequerboard patterns and circles and 'Z's in it - all sorts. It's a very odd area. In the outer layers every single star is a scoopable main sequence star and it just slowly thins out then the middle 'jam' bit vanishes and you're essentially stuck without a high-range ship.

Excerpt from pilot's personal log:

Day 17: 21 May 3302
I have received long distance communication from within the bubble, and with other Commanders exploring the rift and the surrounding systems. Reading the Salome stories, one theory is that there are coordinates hidden in one of the messages received by Salome from an old explorer. The words are “Good luck,…and right on, commander.”
I converted the message into an old-fashioned form of code called morse and arrived at the following:
--. --- --- -.. / .-.. ..- -.-. -.- --..-- / .- -. -.. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-. .. --. .... - / --- -. --..-- / -.-. --- -- -- .- -. -.. . .-.

Commander BJ89 transcribed the morse into morse-numerals and came up with the following message:
"right on commander" in Morse Code = .-. .. --. .... - / --- -. / -.-. --- -- -- .- -. -.. . .-.
Eliminate the slash that separate the word and spaces and regroup them into 5's (numbers are in groups of 5's in Morse Code) = .-... --... ..--- --.-. -.--- ----. --.-. ...-.
Translates into <AS>72##9#<VE>
x= RR line
y= 72##
z= 9#

Good luck, I am not an explorer, I have no clue what to do with this.....

I retreated to the galactic map and after much searching found the following:
DRYAEA AIL AS-I B23-0, -1 and -2 close by.
Coordinates: -12,610 : 72 : -9,510
... is roughly on the RR line at the far side of the rift...

It is the only system I have been able to find with ‘AS’, the right coordinates AND is on the R-R line. I am currently heading there now. As I write, I am approximately halfway across the Heisenburg Bridge. I estimate I shall locate the system in a few days.

Day 18: 22 May 3302
I have crossed the bridge into the outer arm. There is not much out here other than icy bodies and class M stars. I am still some 3000 ly from my goal.

I have made it to the target systems of DRYAEA AIL AS-I B23-0, -1 and -2 .

-0 is a single M-class star with rocky bodies only
-1 is a M-class star with rocky bodies, in binary with a class L-dwarf, again with rocky bodies.
-2 is much more interesting:
Class K Star
5 Rocky belt clusters
3 High metal content worlds, no atmosphere
High metal content, Sulphur dioxide atmosphere
High metal content, Carbon Dioxide atmosphere
High Metal Content, Water rich
High Metal content, Argon rich; binary with:
High metal content, Ammonia rich
Class 2 Gas giant
Class 1 Gas giant x 2 binary
Class 1 gas giant
Class 1 gas giant x 2 binary
Two of the icy moons of the giants have methane atmospheres.

I regard this sub-mission as a failure and I shall be returning to the bubble to re-equip my ship and make running repairs unless there is anything anyone wants me to check out while I'm this far out.....

Greetings,
There are people on the edge, inside and beyond. Some research areas are defined (R/R line, CoR's patrol on the edge, ketchup zone etc ...) but everyone is free to search wherever he wants.
Most of these informations are on the first page, in fact, all the necessary informations and links are on the first page.

Here you can see where everybody is.
And a link to the mother of all the Rift related spreadsheet.

Thanks for this. Bringing myself up to speed now :)

I regard this sub-mission as a failure and I shall be returning to the bubble to re-equip my ship and make running repairs unless there is anything anyone wants me to check out while I'm this far out.....
Theory made and tested, can't knock that - but it is a long way for one system. There's still quite a large area of actual rift that needs 'conda range to enter if you look on EDDiscovery - any help tri-laterating the maze of systems there would be much appreciated I'm sure, and there's only a few more days until trilating becomes a thing of the past too

Just some thoughts:

• First, from Galnet article about Kahina from 21 Jul 3301 - Senator Kahina Missing:

... The interior of the suite was found to be pristine, with no evidence of habitation. In-room holofac consoles were found not to have been used throughout the duration of the Senator’s apparent occupation. ...

From Altera:

... Everything seemed remarkably quiet when she returned home. Neat and tidy; somehownewer and more pristine than she thought it ought to be. Somebody must have cleaned and prepped everything. ...

High probability of insignificant coincidence.

• Second, considering the core of the problem as Drew suggested. The original core of the problem was Tantalum an element mined on Chione - don't know if this was mentioned in the previous thread. If so, my apologies. High mythology alert as it's derived from Tantalus. Currently looking for some more scientific relations with the game and the story (if some exists though).

The three layers separate out in the rift area with a distinct 25ly gap between the bread-jam-bread and for much of it the unscoopables are replaced a thin maze of M-class and a few unscoopables which completely dies out in the thinnest part.

And this happens everywhere. I see the same gap on the opposite side of the Galaxy.

There are chequerboard patterns and circles and 'Z's in it - all sorts. It's a very odd area.

With the unscoopables? If i'm understanding you correctly, that's what I meant by 'fizzles out'. The distribution of brown dwarfs become uneven and patchy and then you're left with a gap between an upper and lower layers. It happens everywhere and I assumed it was simply a flaw with the procedural generation of the Galaxy.

Just a side note (and i think discussed a bit back in the Soontill thread) but Drews version (Oolite) of Thargoids also have a fondness for Bible Verses and Bella Principessas ;)

(quoting Thargoids from Incursio)

Not sure how or if any of that would translate into Elite.. but still

it looks like Latin, perhaps mixed with Italian / Spanish. I have found nothing in the Soontill thread so I tried to translate, for what it's worth.
Is it possible to have a link to the discussion?

? / 2 / 15? / 9

The girl / Guide / Will lead / Salvation

Last edited:
it looks like Latin, perhaps mixed with Italian / Spanish. I have found nothing in the Soontill thread so I tried to translate, for what it's worth.

You got it - the Vulgate is just referencing the Latin bible Exodus 15 :9
I dont think it has any direct relevance to the rift story ... just that Drew has used this form of communication in his earlier works.

"Excerpt from pilot's personal log:

Day 17: 21 May 3302
I have received long distance communication from within the bubble, and with other Commanders exploring the rift and the surrounding systems. Reading the Salome stories, one theory is that there are coordinates hidden in one of the messages received by Salome from an old explorer. The words are “Good luck,…and right on, commander.”
I converted the message into an old-fashioned form of code called morse and arrived at the following:
--. --- --- -.. / .-.. ..- -.-. -.- --..-- / .- -. -.. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-. .. --. .... - / --- -. --..-- / -.-. --- -- -- .- -. -.. . .-.

Commander BJ89 transcribed the morse into morse-numerals and came up with the following message:
"right on commander" in Morse Code = .-. .. --. .... - / --- -. / -.-. --- -- -- .- -. -.. . .-.
Eliminate the slash that separate the word and spaces and regroup them into 5's (numbers are in groups of 5's in Morse Code) = .-... --... ..--- --.-. -.--- ----. --.-. ...-.
Translates into <AS>72##9#<VE>
x= RR line
y= 72##
z= 9#

Good luck, I am not an explorer, I have no clue what to do with this.....

I retreated to the galactic map and after much searching found the following:
DRYAEA AIL AS-I B23-0, -1 and -2 close by.
Coordinates: -12,610 : 72 : -9,510
... is roughly on the RR line at the far side of the rift...

It is the only system I have been able to find with ‘AS’, the right coordinates AND is on the R-R line. I am currently heading there now. As I write, I am approximately halfway across the Heisenburg Bridge. I estimate I shall locate the system in a few days.

Day 18: 22 May 3302
I have crossed the bridge into the outer arm. There is not much out here other than icy bodies and class M stars. I am still some 3000 ly from my goal.

I have made it to the target systems of DRYAEA AIL AS-I B23-0, -1 and -2 .

-0 is a single M-class star with rocky bodies only
-1 is a M-class star with rocky bodies, in binary with a class L-dwarf, again with rocky bodies.
-2 is much more interesting:
Class K Star
5 Rocky belt clusters
3 High metal content worlds, no atmosphere
High metal content, Sulphur dioxide atmosphere
High metal content, Carbon Dioxide atmosphere
High Metal Content, Water rich
High Metal content, Argon rich; binary with:
High metal content, Ammonia rich
Class 2 Gas giant
Class 1 Gas giant x 2 binary
Class 1 gas giant
Class 1 gas giant x 2 binary
Two of the icy moons of the giants have methane atmospheres.

I regard this sub-mission as a failure and I shall be returning to the bubble to re-equip my ship and make running repairs unless there is anything anyone wants me to check out while I'm this far out....."

Oops, <AS> in Morse code is short hand for "Wait" and <VE> is "Understood" I also may had mistype the z and y axis. It should be z=7200-7299, Y=90-99. If you are in the area, can you check "PHA AEB NJ-T C3-0 and PHA AEB PU-R C4-0", It is along the RR line but back into the rift along the X=9200 area. Look kind of remote. But the View of the galaxy from these system appears to fit the description that the Galaxy just hangs there. However I think it maybe a waste of time until we can figure out the "who" part of "It depends entirely on who go looking".

Last edited:
And this happens everywhere. I see the same gap on the opposite side of the Galaxy.

With the unscoopables? If i'm understanding you correctly, that's what I meant by 'fizzles out'. The distribution of brown dwarfs become uneven and patchy and then you're left with a gap between an upper and lower layers. It happens everywhere and I assumed it was simply a flaw with the procedural generation of the Galaxy.
Fair enough. It's new to those of us who've not travelled so far and it's not like the other patches without that layer that I've seen so I don't think it's unfair to mention it.

Top Bottom