So you want to know about the Formidine Rift? (Part 3)

Well. Finally arrived at the Formidine Rift Beta Mission site for myself. If you remember, a few pages back, I lamented over the fact that I was still getting used to my new HOTAS and the keybindings? And how "boost" is right next to "reverse thrust"?
Yeah.
I'm back in the bubble. :)

OH no

So is the current assumption that there is 1 Settlement pr. beacon, or just 1 settlement per area of space?.

Im drawing a blank looking at these Ancient Ruins trying to figure out how to locate the other 2 sites, and I'd love to spend a few hours just cruising over the surface of some planets looking for SOMETHING, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

On the subject, is there a sound que / omnious overture when near the discovered settlements like at the Ruins / Crashed Alien ships?, or is it purely visual?

And have anyone found a way to increase the draw distance in the .xml file yet?, I could really use that if the searching is purely visual.

Heh, so I just scrolled about 3 pages back looking for this thread without realising it's sticky now.

Great news

LOL I did the same.

I got halfway to Hawkins Gap last night but something happened (not a lore something don't get excited, something else :D ) and I need to head back to the bubble briefly, I'll probably head back out tonight.

Last edited:
Just arrived at the EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0 settlement. Going to head off and look at some of the other rally points see if I can find anything.

The settlement is visible as a dot from 40+km in normal space. It is not visible at that altitude in super cruise. It is visible in glide from about 50km but is just a dot.

From 25km it is clearly visible as a triangle.

Once you've visited it it becomes a targetable POI from the left hand menu, even from orbit.

Edit 7.5M cr for the data scan :)

Last edited:
Thought it was about time to repost this, from here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=4795147&viewfull=1#post4795147

There could be a lot more settlements to find still.

Hawkin's Gap (ERP 001):

PLAA AEC XZ-Z B41-0, A1, Rally Point 2
DYNASTY EXPEDITION BEACON
DNSTY S6 ERP 001
RALLY POINT 2
HAWKINS GAP
PLAA AEC XZ-Z B41-0
MODE STANDBY

PLAA AEC IZ-N C20-1, A, Rally Point A1A
DNSTY S6 ERP 001
RALLY POINT A1A
HAWKINS GAP
PLAA AEC IZ-N C20-1
MODE STANDBY

PLAA AEC TT-B B41-3, B1, Rally Point B2
DNSTY S6 ERP 001
RALLY POINT B2
HAWKINS GAP
PLAA AEC TT-B B41-3
MODE STANDBY

PLAA AEC RY-B B41-1, ??, Rally Point 2B
DNSTY S6 ERP 001
RALLY POINT 2B
HAWKINS GAP
PLAA AEC RY-B B41-1
MODE STANDBY

Conflux (ERP 002):

PRU AESCS TY-J A64-1, A, Rally Point 3
DNSTY S6 ERP 002
RALLY POINT 3
CONFLUX
TY-J A64-1
MODE STANDBY

PRU AESCS HW-S B31-2, A, Rally Point CD1
DYNSTYS6 ERP 002
RALLY POINT CD1
CONFLUX
PRU AESCS HW-S B31-2
MODE STANDBY

PRU AESCS NC-M D7-192, A2A, Rally Point A3A
DYNSTYS6 ERP 002
RALLY POINT A3A
CONFLUX
PRU AESCS NC-M D7-192
MODESTANDBY

Formidine Rift (ERP 003):

EAFOTS EU-R C4-1, A, Rally Point C2
DYNASTY EXPEDITON BEACON
DNSTY S6 ERP 003
RALLY POINT C2
FORMIDINE RIFT
EAFOTS EU-R C4-1
MODE STANDBY

EAFOTS GL-Y E2, A1, Rally Point 6
DNSTY S6 ERP 003
RALLY POINT 6
FORMIDINE RIFT
EAFOTS GL-YE2
MODE STANDBY

EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0, D, Rally Point D1
DNSTY S6 ERP 003
RALLY POINT D1
FORMIDINE RIFT
EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0

EAFOTS RA-G B11-0, 3, Rally Point 3
DNSTY S6 ERP 003
RALLY POINT 3
FORMIDINE RIFT
EAFOTS RA-G B11-0
MODE STANDBY

Acording to this, we need to find 3 more settlements in EAFOTS sector, right?

Just arrived at the EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0 settlement. Going to head off and look at some of the other rally points see if I can find anything.

The settlement is visible as a dot from 40+km in normal space. It is not visible at that altitude in super cruise. Not sure on glide.

From 25km it is clearly visible as a triangle.

It is visible in glide in my experience. I believe gliding occurs in the same instance as normal flight, so it should make no difference.

I'm at EU-R c4-1 C 2. I've been using the glide method a bunch - if you get the angle right, you can drop into glide at 40km, then just hold at -5 to -10 degrees pitch and survey huge areas since the glide will stay on until you drop to around 7km. It's especially good in an AspX as you can just flip upside down and get a really wide view of things.

I'm just dumping thoughts down while they're still current and in mind.

There are a number of beacons in each of the 3 regions. Each refers to a rally point planet in the same system as the beacon.
2 of those planets (1 in FR, 1 in Conflux) have a base that's been found.
Both bases have a series of messages titled Beta Mission.

My thinking is that there is a base on each of the rally point planets, and it is very likely that each base will have its own sequence of messages. I reckon the message sequences will read Alpha, Gamma etc. We keep being told that there is a lot more to be discovered. The biggest problem is the needle in the haystack issue. A planet surface is a large area to scour. We know which haystacks to look at.
We need a magnet to help find the needles. :)

If and I expect it will, there will be another Beta site in Hawkins then I think it may mean the Alpha site is the departure site for all three expeditions. The ruins could be the Alpha site for example. As always with elite the absence of evidence and evidence of absence conundrum.

Still no reason to not sift the sands there could be gold in them thar hills.

It is visible in glide in my experience. I believe gliding occurs in the same instance as normal flight, so it should make no difference.

I'm at EU-R c4-1 C 2. I've been using the glide method a bunch - if you get the angle right, you can drop into glide at 40km, then just hold at -5 to -10 degrees pitch and survey huge areas since the glide will stay on until you drop to around 7km. It's especially good in an AspX as you can just flip upside down and get a really wide view of things.

I've just arrived at C2 to have a look :)

DYNASTY EXPEDITION BEACONS

From the competing Federation and Children Of Raxxla Community Goals in November 3302 (https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/582dc4489657bacc7c29abb9),
Beacons were found in the following systems with coded messages being transmitted every hour.
These messages were brute-force decoded using the key word "EXODUS".
Beacons that link to Alpha site broadcast on the hour. Beta sites at 15 past, Gamma sites half past, and Delta site 45 past the hour.
The message included a rally point for each system, which is always a land-able planet.
So far, SEVEN settlements have been found on these planets. We need to find more!

Hawkin's Gap (ERP 001):

System: PLAA AEC IZ-N C20-1
Beacon around: A
Rally Point (settlement) on: A1A
ALPHA SETTLEMENT FOUND by CMDR Raktavijan 15th Jan 3303:
25.0029, 21.5814. Details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5012585&viewfull=1#post5012585 http://m.imgur.com/hGrPIy7?r
Message Logs
Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 1/4
Expedition Log: 21/08/3270
"Damn we've come a long way. I really should have looked at the galactic map before I signed up for this. Weeks of endless travel and hyperspace jumps just to get into the vicinity of the place, and that's before we get down to the work."

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 2/4
Expedition Log: 29/08/3270
"Cargo hold is rammed full of strange tech. Looks like a bunch of satellites to me, but it's all hush hush. Normal crew like me ain't allowed anywhere near them. Don't know what they're for, other than we have to drop them off in very specific locations. Weird, eh?"

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 3/4
Expedition Log: 15/09/3270
"Bored rigid now, can't wait to turn around and go home. I don't care how good the money is, nothing is worth this tedium. We haven't even started the return journey yet... Randomius Factoria - save me!"

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 4/4
Expedition Log: 13/10/3270
"Still, it could be worse! I could have pulled the Formidine Rift gig. Rumour is they're having to double up on ships for that one as the crews are going void-mad and ejecting themselves into space becuase they've seen ghosts. Word is there's something out there."
System: PLAA AEC XZ-Z B41-0
Beacon around: A1
Rally Point (settlement) on: 2
BETA settlement still unknown

System: PLAA AEC TT-B B41-3
Beacon around: B1
Rally Point (settlement) on: B2
GAMMA SETTLEMENT FOUND by CMDR Nodus Cursorius 21st Jan 3303:
-9.3229, -103.8591 - Discovery and details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5042745&viewfull=1#post5042745
Message Logs
Hawkin's Gap Gamma Mission 1/4

Expedition Log: 30/08/3270

"Beautiful part ofthe galaxy this, really dense clusters of stars, pretty much halfway to the core. Been one long trip though. We're out here dropping off a series of beacons. Randomius knows what for, but they're paying, so no questions asked!"

Hawkin's Gap Gamma Mission 2/4

Expedition Log: 12/09/3270

"Funny Thing is, I've asked a few of the other hands about this mission and no one seems to know who's behind it. We all picked up bulletin board adverts promising big credits for a long haul and kind of just ended up on board. Not sure it it's the Feds, the Imps or the Alliance. Still, credits are credits!"

Hawkin's Gap Gamma Mission 3/4

Expedition Log: 18/09/3270

"Arrived on site today. Bunch of guys had to go EVA to drop off the beacons. We're jumping around a bunch of systems here in the gap. One of the Beacons activated all on its own, started squawking some weird code before it got switched off. We were told we hadn't heard anything."

Hawkin's Gap Gamma Mission 4/4

Expedition Log: 01/10/3270

"I'm logging this, but I shouldn't be. Bunch of guys were talking about the beacons yesterday and then there was a mysterious accident in the airlock - they're all dead! Feeling aboard is mutinous. Just want to get back home. I ain't doing no top secret missions again, that's for sure."
System: PLAA AEC RY-B B41-1
Rally Point (settlement) on: 2B
DELTA SETTLEMENT FOUND by CMDR Baton on 18th Jan 3303
50.9203, -155.0895 - details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5030238&viewfull=1#post5030238
Message Logs
HAWKIN'S GAP DELTA MISSION 1/4
"This is a bigger operation than I thought it was. A massive fleet of Anacondas all prepped for long endurance travel out to the edge of beyond. No ships have markings, no emblems, no political affiliation. Somebody with deep pockets must be paying for this, but who ?"

HAWKIN'S GAP DELTA MISSION 2/4
"Judging by the way the fleet deployed I would say there were three main destinations, all a long way outside of the core worlds. We got our orders today, we're making for a zone called "Hawkin's Gap". It's a seriously long way, not even the explorers have been out this way before. Strange mission."

HAWKIN'S GAP DELTA MISSION 3/4
"Our little armada split up today, so we're on our own now. Just us and the void. Still a lot of speculations as to what we're doing. Cargo hold is full, that I don't know. My guess is some kind of deep space survey, but I can't figure out why we'd need to be so far out ..."

HAWKIN'S GAP DELTA MISSION 4/4
"Cargo is being deployed. A series of artefacts of some kind. The handling bods aren't part of the ship's crew, so we don't know what they're doing. Captain has told us to turn a blind eye and wait for them to be done."
Conflux (ERP 002):

System: PRU AESCS TY-J A64-1
Beacon around: 1
Rally Point (settlement) on: 3
ALPHA settlement still unknown

System: PRU AESCS HW-S B31-2
Rally Point (settlement) on: CD1
BETA SETTLEMENT FOUND by CMDR TheTick 13th Jan 3303:
-7.2989, -35.9180 Details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5006701&viewfull=1#post5006701
Message logs
Conflux Beta Mission 1/4
"Witch-space once again. We're almost to our destination in the Conflux area now. That's odd... looks like... can't be!
You can't be interdicted in witch-space... that's impossible! We're back in normal space. Systems off-line, no power, what in Randomius is that..."

Conflux Beta Mission 2/4
"Signed on for this one as I had the exploration bug, but we're just jumping and jumping. We're not staying in systems to survey, just refuelling as fast as we can and then it's back into witch-space. We're spending more time there than in real space. Someone is in a hurry."

Conflux Beta Mission 3/4
"Reminds me of what my father told me about witch-space. it's haunted. There's weird lights, shifting clouds, who knows what they are. Makes you wonder whether we should be out here at all. So much stuff we just don't understand."

Conflux Beta Mission 4/4
"Witch-space is different out here, there's something odd, those lights we were seeing are less frequent now, but they seem to be hanging around, almost as if they're following us. Maybe I'm going nuts."
MISSING: Gamma beacon system location

System: PRU AESCS NC-M D7-192
Beacon around: A2A or A
Rally Point (settlement) on: A3A
DELTA settlement still unknown

Formidine Rift (ERP 003):

System: EAFOTS EU-R C4-1
Rally Point (settlement) on: C2
ALPHA SETTLEMENT FOUND by CMDR Eadghe on 19th Jan 3303
-34.2057, -77.6673 - details: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5035059&viewfull=1#post5035059
Message Logs
Expedition Log: 21/08/3270

"Why the hell are we out here? No one seems to know. It's taken months and still we're not there. Wherever 'there' is. We're dropping these beacons. Supposedly nobody knows what they're for. If they do they ain't telling. Makes no sense, there's nothing out there... and who would come all this way anyway?"

Expedition Log: 28/08/3270
"We're still travelling. Jump drive malfunctioned today, that made an interesting diversion. It's going to take a while to fix. This area of space is g me out. Could have I heard some weird voices in the last jump. We are a long way from home. We're struggling to plot a course now, we're leaving the galactic arm and the jumps are getting longer."

Expedition Log 07/09/3270
"Finally fixed the drive, more monotony. Can't believe it's nearly six months sice we set out from Riedquat. Did I say Riedquat? I meant Reorte. It's getting to me, this endless emptiness. The guys are showing the strain. Three more months before we can turn and head back. The stars are thinning out, you can the whole galaxy just hanging there..."

Expedition Log 22/09/3270
"The darkness grows. The galaxy is faint and dim behind us. I'm told this place has been nicknamed the Formidine Rift. Apparently that means fear in some old Earth language. It's an apt name, some of the guys are going space crazy out here in the void. We had to sedate one guy, he went completely doolally. We've not seen another soul for weeks. Just us and this ship... alone... in the darkness..."

Expedition Log 07/10/3270
"I'm scared... help me someone... I can't bear another jump. The lights in witch-space are coming for me. The lights... always the lights... they're calling to me... a siren song... I must join them..."

Expedition Log 08/10/3270
AUTOMATED TELEMETRY REPORT: CANOPY BLAST BOLTS ACTIVATED. LIFE SUPPORT MALFUNCTION. CREW VITAL SIGNS TERMINATED. SHIP SYSTEMS ENGAGING STANDBY MODE. DISTRESS BEACON ACTIVATED.
System: EAFOTS LZ-H B10-0
Beacon around: D
Rally Point (settlement) on: D1
BETA SETTLEMENT FOUND: by CMDR JesusRocks1988 13th Jan 3303
-23.0844, -174.8980 Details: http://imgur.com/a/vqfiB https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5006628&viewfull=1#post5006628
Message Logs
Formidine Rift Beta Mission 1/6
"Been travelling for weeks. Passed this amazing twin nebula just recently, about the only interesting sight on this whole trip. We are a long way out now. I don't think anyone else has been this far. Still, pay is good!"

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 2/6
"Stars have thinned out and we've started dropping our cargo. Looks like some kind of long-range beacon to me. It's all hush-hush, no questions asked stuff. Heard some of the senior bods talking about a Dynasty project. Careless talk and all that..."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 3/6
"Nothing prepared me for the boredom. It's very dark out here. Really dark... darker than normal space. There's hardly any stars ahead of us, it's just blackness... the void."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 4/6
"Picked up some kind of signal yesterday and it looks like the crew weren't expecting it. Got them proper rattled. There's definitely something very strange about this area of space. Won't be sad to turn around and head home.

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 5/6
Expedition Log: 11/11/3270
"Last batch of cargo due today, but the hyperdrive has malfunctioned. We tried jumping and got yanked straight back out. So we're stuck here, Randomius know where..."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 6/6
Expedition Log: 29/11/3270
"We can't fix it. Hyperdrive is dead. Lucky we're in a system with a habitable world. We've sent a distress call but who knows if anyone will here it. We're going to abandon ship. If anyone finds this, we're in..." AUTOMATED TELEMETRY REPORT: POWER FAILURE.
System: EAFOTS RA-G B11-0
Beacon around: 3
Rally Point (settlement) on: 3
GAMMA SETTLEMENT FOUND by CMDR Sajime Chent-Shi 22nd Jan 3303
-17.8731, -76.0522 - more info: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5048141&viewfull=1#post5048141
Message Logs
FORMIDINE RIFT GAMMA MISSION 1/6
Expedition Log: 30/80/3270
Looks like I drew a short straw somewhere along the line. These long range missions pay well, but it's a year out in the void. A year ! We're out far beyond the frontier. The boys call this place the "Formidine Rift". Apparently that means "terror" in some old earth language. Nice. Just looks like more space to me.

FORMIDINE RIFT GAMMA MISSION 2/6
Finally arrived in place after five months of hyperspace travel. Now we have two months of laying a bunch of beacons before another five months travel back home. At least I'll have enough credits to retire by then.

FORMIDINE RIFT GAMMA MISSION 3/6
Supposedly there are a bunch of other ships out here doing the same job as us, but no comms allowed. All a bit strange. it's vast and lonely out here, pretty much the whole galaxy is behind us. It's getting to some of the crew.

FORMIDINE RIFT GAMMA MISSION 4/6
We picked up some kind of bizarre signal yesterday. Whatever it was wasn't human. At least, that's the scuttlebutt going around the decks. Everyone is looking out of the canopies now. We're seeing some strange lights during hyperspace transits. Terror ? Yeah, we got some of that ...

FORMIDINE RIFT GAMMA MISSION 5/6
Expedition Log: 11/11/3270
More strange lights. We've got equipment malfunctions, scanners dropping in and out, systems restarting. Ship is limping on. Everyone wants to turn about, but if we don't complete the mission we don't get paid. No one wants to give up those credits either. You expect to turn around and see ...

FORMIDINE RIFT GAMMA MISSION 6/6
Expedition Log: 29/11/3270
We're done and we're heading home. We picked up some heat signature in the last system. Definitely something there and it wasn't any profile I had seen before. Something was watching us. There's something evil out here, and it doesn't like company !
System: EAFOTS GL-Y E2
Beacon around: A1
Rally Point (settlement) on: 6
DELTA settlement still unknown

Chronological order of expedition logs by Jaiotu: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=5049931&viewfull=1#post5049931

My original post with decoded transmissions: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ift-(Part-3)?p=4795147&viewfull=1#post4795147

Canonn Trello page: https://trello.com/b/DCTJoy8T/cor-rift-hawkin-s-and-conflux-ucbs

Search tips for beginners
Tips for beginners:

Reduce the terrain textures to a smoothness
Kill the shadows, drop the terrain details to Low, and crank up the gamma for nightsides

1. It will hurt, get use to it

2. Get a ship with best view (I use Asp and fly upside down to see all around) and make it as fast as you can, speed is more important than jump range, you will be flying in straight line for hours/days/weeks

3. Go to the place already discovered and familiarise yourself with what you will be looking for, especially check how far from you can spot it (play with terrain settings to make it easier or more difficult). I tend to be on around 8-10km

4. Team up with the others, flying alone on big planet and trying to find one particular object is nearly impossible.

5. If nobody will come up with better plan use my formula above, worked for me.

6. I would say if the planet/moon had a permanent dark side stay out of it for time being, the one I found in Hawking's Gap is not visible in dark at all, even from 2km and there are no lights, so best is to hope that none of these sites are there or that we will discover some hints.

7. Occasionally read point 1.

This information is collated by me from this thread, Canonn Research and Children Of Raxxla research.

Hawking's / Hawkin's Gap

The area was first named by Erimus and his mapping project after Professor Stephen Hawking. When this was picked up by Drew and Frontier, it was mis-spelt as Hawkin's Gap. As this is a long time after his death, it is not unlikely that the name of the area got contracted, so Hawkin's should be an acceptable term for this region of space. Erimus has confirmed that the next version of the maps will have this new spelling.

Last edited:
I want to be sure I did this right...I'd hate to go back to the bubble and not have everything. I just visited the formidine rift beta site, and I scanned all 6 logs, plus the other orange antenna (data terminal?). How am I notified that I got the payout for the data? Or is there something I have to physically pick up?

I want to be sure I did this right...I'd hate to go back to the bubble and not have everything. I just visited the formidine rift beta site, and I scanned all 6 logs, plus the other orange antenna (data terminal?). How am I notified that I got the payout for the data? Or is there something I have to physically pick up?

You should have the data in your left window with bounty, bond and mission info.

Just arrived there. Seems to me that the habitable planet they stayed on was this base. Also, anyone else find it curious that they built a sort of entrance way for I guess SRV's? why on earth would you do that if you were stranded with your crew. Is it possible they split up and there is a second base on this planet?

but you know Pitter Patter eh

Top Bottom