So you want to know about the Formidine Rift? (Part 3)

For people who fly in pg or solo because you are afraid of being shot at. You are a single ship flying over a huge moon/planet. You spend weeks looking for spot that is bigger than your ship and it is stationary, how do you think a ganker can find you if you are smaller and moving on top of that??????????? :)

As for somebody who will never get here in Corvette with 9ly jump range... first, engineered vette can jump much further than that, but they would not need vette to be a threat, just an Asp with lots of MCs would smash my ship to pieces with no problems at all (well maybe not mine, I'm too fast, but typical exploration ship), so do not be afraid to play in open, just keep your eyes open when in SC :)

I agree....I almost never fly in open back in the bubble, but out here in an Asp Ex with no weapons I have seen 1 other cmdr in several months. That was a strange one...I jumped into a totally random system in the Heart nebula and someone was there in an Asp just idling in SC. Looked to me like they had walked away from the computer or something, which is a definite no-no while in open.

For people who fly in pg or solo because you are afraid of being shot at. You are a single ship flying over a huge moon/planet. You spend weeks looking for spot that is bigger than your ship and it is stationary, how do you think a ganker can find you if you are smaller and moving on top of that??????????? :)

As for somebody who will never get here in Corvette with 9ly jump range... first, engineered vette can jump much further than that, but they would not need vette to be a threat, just an Asp with lots of MCs would smash my ship to pieces with no problems at all (well maybe not mine, I'm too fast, but typical exploration ship), so do not be afraid to play in open, just keep your eyes open when in SC :)

Tbh, anything that can keep up with me would be a threat, as long as it had a weapon. My Asp's shields are just about enough to survive a landing, and my hull might as well be tin foil.

But, that being said, when I'm out exploring, I'm always in Open. I was so surprised to see another CMDR on GL-Y E2 6 that I ended up instinctively checking his loadout to see if he was armed. He wasn't, actually, and he had the same hull health as me (54%), and running completely shieldless, which is either brave, crazy or stupid when you're playing with 1.34G!

I'm occasionally jumping out to supercruise, either to fly to another spot, go scooping or because it's dark - then I'm much easier to spot. Although I have a boost speed of 415 and 4A shields, I'd have no chance against an engineered 'warplane'.

And in case I'm the one who finds that base, in PG I can immediately make those tasty high-res images. :)

Yea that's the one, I hope you realise the scale of the search, you're looking for a small base on a planet a bit bigger than Earth flying a bit faster* than a passenger jet! ;).
* My asp's max speed (not boost) is 290 m/s = 1044 kph = 653 mph. Typical passenger jet cruising speed is 546-575 mph

Hey Erimus, that's great, thanks :)

Congrats. Bear in mind, we have mostly big planets/moons left to scan, speed of your ship is everything, jump range not so much, I made mine really fast (515 m/s) and can boost constantly - my jump range is 43ly which allowed me to get to Conflux in 5 hours (167 jumps :) ) and I think this is the way to go, don't sacrifice speed :)
+1

Last edited:
Today I was so looking forward to discovering that someone had found the settlement. I shiver at the thought of having to scour the planet again!

But, that being said, when I'm out exploring, I'm always in Open. I was so surprised to see another CMDR on GL-Y E2 6 that I ended up instinctively checking his loadout to see if he was armed. He wasn't, actually, and he had the same hull health as me (54%), and running completely shieldless, which is either brave, crazy or stupid when you're playing with 1.34G!

I remember you, and you accurately described my ship! And yes, I'm brave! A little stupid sometimes but brave!

I might switch to open.... might :D just about got enough shields to fly, let alone land lol

Tbh, anything that can keep up with me would be a threat, as long as it had a weapon. My Asp's shields are just about enough to survive a landing, and my hull might as well be tin foil.

If you see a white AspX with 2 lightweight multi's don't worry, no idea why i brought them. I suppose it's because i have never flown without weapons before in the 600+ hours playing the game :p

I'm in a heavily modded, armed Viper MkIV, but don't worry if you see me about - I'm there for protection! (And also because I was bored exploring in the 'standard' ships!)

Today I was so looking forward to discovering that someone had found the settlement. I shiver at the thought of having to scour the planet again!

I remember you, and you accurately described my ship! And yes, I'm brave! A little stupid sometimes but brave!

Haha! Hello again CMDR :)

Sorry, you're literally the only other person I've seen in weeks. Definitely brave running shieldless, I lost half my hull just scraping the side of a crater when taking off, and that's with shields!

Agreed. my G5 engineered tradeVette can do 21ly. fully laden with 500t.

To be honest, it feels pretty good to be back at the bubble after jonking for days, then spend about two weeks staring at (beige) surfaces for hours on end, to spend some more days jonking.
I reallly needed a break from that and I will be spending a couple of weeks trading, engineering, missions, doing some PP and shooting stuff in general before I head out there. Almost feels like a vacation [big grin]

Best of luck to all of you who persevere out there though!

Just done that for one week. Now on my way back to the Rift. We all just karma karma karma Chameleon, we come and go, we come and go oh oh ! [wacko]

Sorry for the re-post but I want to make sure I get this right before putting work into it. Are we absolutely sure that we want 7 points between degrees of longitude?

i.e. -180.0000, -179.875, -179.7500, -179.6250, -179.5000, etc...

Could we get away with 4?

i.e. -180.0000, -179.8000, -179.6000, -179.4000, -179.2000, -179.0000

Honestly, I don't think that anyone would feel realistically comfortable doing even every half a degree search. That would still be like 720 columns/passes of 3 hours each (i.e. 0 to -45 on each half a degree of longitude). But I'm trying to have a way to record my progress and anyone's else willing to join in.

Allowing 7 points between degrees of longitude means we are talking about 2520 columns (180x2x7)??

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I just created the few first columns as an example...

Edit: this is for GL-Y E2 6

Last edited:
That's a Canonn Trello site. I will give them a prod on discord to update. They have been a bit distracted lately with the alien hyperdictions and the ancient ruins puzzle.

We're on this thread on occasion to boot :D

I saw your summary post; I'll be sure to update the board, but everyone is free to comment with any changes or updates needed.

Last edited:
And the silence in the room was now tomb-like when everyone realized the real extent of the search effort... :D

*giggles* Either that or everyone has fallen asleep in their ships!

We just need some kind of addition to the DSS, this would make people want to explore planets, and not just land on planet's just to get materials for the engineers.

*giggles* Either that or everyone has fallen asleep in their ships!

We just need some kind of addition to the DSS, this would make people want to explore planets, and not just land on planet's just to get materials for the engineers.

hihihihi...oh yeah, I definitely agree with that (DSS). Just trying to make the best out of the situation at hand...

Sorry for the re-post but I want to make sure I get this right before putting work into it. Are we absolutely sure that we want 7 points between degrees of longitude?

i.e. -180.0000, -179.875, -179.7500, -179.6250, -179.5000, etc...

Could we get away with 4?

i.e. -180.0000, -179.8000, -179.6000, -179.4000, -179.2000, -179.0000

Honestly, I don't think that anyone would feel realistically comfortable doing even every half a degree search. That would still be like 720 columns/passes of 3 hours each (i.e. 0 to -45 on each half a degree of longitude). But I'm trying to have a way to record my progress and anyone's else willing to join in.

Allowing 7 points between degrees of longitude means we are talking about 2520 columns (180x2x7)??

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I just created the few first columns as an example...

Edit: this is for GL-Y E2 6

I'm on board. Visibility ranges might be different for Xbox vs PC. I'm on PC and after changing my graphics settings should be able to see a settlement at a lateral range of about 10-15km.

I'm on board. Visibility ranges might be different for Xbox vs PC. I'm on PC and after changing my graphics settings should be able to see a settlement at a lateral range of about 10-15km.

I might do my homework and check out an actual base, how it looks like and what to look for.
I came in bold with many hours of volcanic site search under my belt, so I know what is unusual on the terrain. Was it foolish?

Top Bottom