Soft Keyboard for VR - Please... like, pretty please

Currently, Elite Dangerous has a software keyboard for console players. Some like it, some don't BUT as a feature for the VR players this is perfect. We cannot see our keyboards. This makes searching for systems and even communicating in chat rather clunky if you are not a touch typist.

In my mind, It would look like the current soft keyboard used in the console versions of the game, I would be able to move the "cursor" to the keys to be pressed via the HOTAS (like mapping it to the hat on the HOTAS/Controller) making it so I don't have to remove the headset just to type in a system to route, rely on VoiceAttack for mediocre dictation or precanned responses and preserves the VR immersion.

I do hope this finds it's way to a dev, as I believe this would be a GIGANTIC quality of life improvement for VR players.

o7 CMDRs, fly right and see you in the black.

Every console game has it where you even have to type in your name, and every TV app like Netflix has it.

I don't see a reason why when clicking into the text field in galaxy map, the little keyboard can't just pop up next to the UI frame and allow you to scroll through and select characters with your already defined left, right, up, down, and select key bindings.

It's among the most trivial of features, and you could easily have it available by menu option only on PCs.
For VR, it would save a whole lot of frustration.

Maybe try to get the vr maker to include it instead of trying to get every game maker to do it for them.

Text input via character selector keyboard is not even VR specific. It’s such a nothing development item that it makes no sense not to have it available. Also, pinning an onscreen keyboard from something like Oculus Dash is by no means an elegant solution.

My point exactly. When vr is a minority in any game, expecting the game maker to supply your needs is not going to happen.
Oculas and vive or whom ever need to have it included so game makers can tap into that.
Kinda like mac would not follow game standards so FD dropped catering to them. Pc, xbox , and ps did, and so are still on track.
So if it is a nothing development why are vr makers not on board?
I don't blame FD one bit for ignoring vr player wants in that regard.

Maybe try to get the vr maker to include it instead of trying to get every game maker to do it for them.

You are making absolutely no sense. When you develop for a platform you do things that are SOP in development for that platform. One of those things is text entry, it is a part of development and interface design for VR. It is highly likely they are already working on it as it would seem this game is constantly being updated via patches.

You do know the platform software keyboards are coded in by the dev NOT by MS/Sony right? The consoles AND VR has their default software keyboards used in their interfaces. That alone makes your argument null and void. You have no idea what you are talking about. Clearly you simply want attention, they created a VR component to the game, there is no reason to NOT improve it. They have steadily improved it and this entire area of the forum is specifically to request features. So what are you on about aside from this childish need to stroke your own ego with flawed opinions that would sooner come from an entitled brat aged 5 years that only wants THEIR experience to matter?

Have all of the seats please.

My point exactly. When vr is a minority in any game, expecting the game maker to supply your needs is not going to happen.
Oculas and vive or whom ever need to have it included so game makers can tap into that.
Kinda like mac would not follow game standards so FD dropped catering to them. Pc, xbox , and ps did, and so are still on track.

No, it’s a nothing development item for Frontier. On the other hand, to have a software keyboard overlay from the VR provider is a challenge both in terms of compatibility and usability inside apps. It’s also an additional step for VR users, and a hands off controller moment for both VR users and HOTAS/Joystick/Gamepad users who aren’t in VR when they need to switch to keyboard, which is not always convenient.

Frontier should just spend the 30 minutes and do it.

You actually have no point. Consoles and VR includes a default Keyboard used in their AI and is a part of their SDK. That said, what game dev would use it instead of making one that fits in with the UI THEY have created? But here it is, you have consoles with dev created software keyboards. You make no sense, your logic is flawed and are seeking attention. They created a VR version of the game on purpose and the numbers are growing. Just, stop. No one is asking for nerfs or game balance changes yet here you are in the area specifically meant for feature requests being... typical...

Currently, Elite Dangerous has a software keyboard for console players. Some like it, some don't BUT as a feature for the VR players this is perfect. We cannot see our keyboards. This makes searching for systems and even communicating in chat rather clunky if you are not a touch typist.

In my mind, It would look like the current soft keyboard used in the console versions of the game, I would be able to move the "cursor" to the keys to be pressed via the HOTAS (like mapping it to the hat on the HOTAS/Controller) making it so I don't have to remove the headset just to type in a system to route, rely on VoiceAttack for mediocre dictation or precanned responses and preserves the VR immersion.

I do hope this finds it's way to a dev, as I believe this would be a GIGANTIC quality of life improvement for VR players.

o7 CMDRs, fly right and see you in the black.

Yes, I've suggested this as a quick way to impliment a VR keyboard...on my PS4 version of Elite, it already has the keyboard or at least accesses the PS4 keyboard...why not use it? I'm fairly convinced, however, while adding a VR keyboard to any other VR game on the planet is simple, it is not so in Elite because the engine has issues. Ok, prove me wrong FDev.

o7

Last edited:
That would be the first important thing to implement for VR
Hardly can describe what a nightmare it is and how much time was angry and thinking of some alternatives
Yes i agree that would be a must !

HEHE Yes I'm clueless and make no sense.
BTW Enjoy no virtual keyboard.

In hindsight let me clarify this. This is a feature suggestion post and a legitimate feature is proposed. It requests no current feature or functionality to be changed, impacts no one except those that request it. It has zero bearing on the game for you or how you would percieve it. Yet still you choose to come here and bang on. If he was asking for some mechanic to change, fair enough it is up for debate, but you would not even know this was even there if you chose to not use it. That is the very definition of trolling.

You can’t even seem to decide which are the correct threads you should be white knighting in and one of the fundamental reasons these forums are the way they are.

+1 to the list.

+2 to the keyboard! And not just VR, then I don’t have to take my hands off the hotas. Because every real life commader scrambles for their cockpit keyboard when they want to plot a jump - not.

Last edited:
Hi Lynx, what issues do you have with the built in Oculus virtual keyboard? Agree that is makes sense for the devs to include a built in keyboard, however the devs probably wouldn't bother since the oculus keyboard does the job (via dash) You can place the keyboard anywhere on the bridge of the ship (along with any app or web browser)

Does Vive have something similar to Dash?

I use Voice attack in VR, combined with my HOTAS, rarely touch the vr keyboard unless I am browsing the web from inside my ship.

The Keyboard is not shown in this video, but it works as effortlessly as everything else in Dash.

[video=youtube;0kQ_j3L77NU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ_j3L77NU[/video]

Last edited:
I wish there was one in game and buttons which you could use with leap motion. To be honest, I want VR but I am not touching until a method of typing is in game.

I imagine the galaxy map to be a right pain in the back side in VR at the moment.

Top Bottom