Solo’ed my first Cyclops today

As the narrative around Thargoids has been ramping up, I decided I wanted to get in on the action and try an AX build Ive largely followed the Krait MkII build on edtutorials https://www.edtutorials.com/ships/how-to-build-an-anti-xeno-ship/. I’ve not managed to G5 all the way on all the components and there are a couple of experimentals missing but largely its the base for my build. I started in AX CZs and joined a few other commanders which was fun but way too chaotic. We did down a couple of Hydras - although my part was largely sniping the odd hit, the more seasoned cmdrs did all the heavy lifting.

Anyway decided it was time to go it alone and headed out to find my first Cyclops. I must have hunted 5 or 6 which all ended the same way with me bing chased away with tatters of hull left. Finally today though I made it through. Much thanks to Citizen Kate for her description of the thargoid swarm without which I would have been totally lost understanding what was going on.

Source: https://youtu.be/SmKewctqDfk

I think I will try a few more before attempting the Basilisk. I am not able to fly FA off with my HOTAS setup, I’ve read about the ability to add curves through TARGET software but I am not yet ready to re-do all my bindings. That said if i get really hooked on Interceptors then I expect I will take the plunge. My current Reverski hybrid seems to be OK for the swarm and for boosting and flipping to shoot the Goid, but in no way good enough for me to attempt an FA off orbit.

Any way very pleased so far :)

o7 CMDRS

Thanks. I realised that I only had a g4 power plant and I had no experimental effects on it, because I only have Marco Qwent unlocked I went to see him and added the Thermal Spread effect to help cool the Gauss Canons. I also upgraded the two heat sink launchers to 3 spare rounds. This definitely helps but I think I really need G5 all round with all recommended Experimental effects in order to take on a Basilisk.

Congrats! I did the same this past weekend. Squashed a fair few of 'em with the squadron, but Sunday I finally took one on solo. First three times I ran with my tail between my legs, as I couldn't get to grips with the swarm. Fourth time, I finally started getting the hang of it, and after a 20-minute battle (where the enrage timer went off and I more or less had to deal with a permanent swarm after that!) I got the explosion. After a refuel/repair, I tried again, this time went much smoother, as did the subsequent one after I remembered to bring a corrosion-resistant cargo rack to scoop the heart for that sweet, sweet, bobblehead.

1652983561020.png

It’s mad, your in control, it’s all good, then suddenly it goes wrong and you lose control and it’s all madness. Not sure where I’ll fit a cage for the bobble head but I’ll look into it - had no idea it was a thing.

It’s mad, your in control, it’s all good, then suddenly it goes wrong and you lose control and it’s all madness.
I wasn't prepared for that, to be honest. Weirdly, even though getting killed by one of the tulips of terror wouldn't have scratched my bank balance let alone dented it, there was still a fairly constant "ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap" feeling throughout! All the years playing this game, the last time I felt the "rush" like that was doing the Robigo slave runs back in the day, where a scan could ruin you.

Not sure where I’ll fit a cage for the bobble head but I’ll look into it - had no idea it was a thing.
It's an unlockable at the tech broker. 1 thargoid heart, plus 10 meta alloys. I'm using the "meta" AXI shielded Krait build which has a size 1 AFMU included. I just swapped that out for one of the small CRCRs from Palin's engineering base, and then deposited it on my carrier.

I had the option of snagging a heart during the wing sessions I did with my squadron, but sort of felt I only "deserved" it if I did one solo.

Congrats.
However be advised, the Basilisk is in a totally different league than the Cyclops :)
The point is that the Basilisk stands out from the rest of the intercepts because of its speed.
And in general you can take a big and fat ship and completely ignore the Cyclops swarm.

The point is that the Basilisk stands out from the rest of the intercepts because of its speed.
And in general you can take a big and fat ship and completely ignore the Cyclops swarm.
Hello commanders, congrats for first interceptor kills. I'm new to this fight, too, and I'm in phase of searching best ship builds for my style and (poor) skills.
I killed some Basilisks with shieldless Phantom - this ship is fast enough, much faster than Basilisk, and it gives enough time to fly away, to repair and for synthesis of
heatsinks if I need them. I use 4 pre-engineered shard cannons because they shoot instantly. Phantom has little bit less armour than Krait Mk II, but still good. Main
disadvantage is only 4 hardpoints, so no space for flak, (or you must sacrifice one shard cannon) but Basilisk is usually faster than his swarm and it's possible to
destroy a heart even before swarm will arrive. However, if you keep cold, swarm will not cause big damage.
I have found some of this meta builds are outdated - for example they all use FSD increased range + mass manager, but I thought if I use my own FC, isn't it better to
engineer it with shielded + thermal spread? I tried and it's ok.
And they all use Gauss cannons - but now with preenginereed shards and plasmas we have more choice. Shard works best for me.
Of course, there are cmdrs who can kill interceptors with almost anything, but others without cold orbiting and aiming skills must search for own solutions.
Soon I will try to kill first Medusa (with Krait Mk II) and any advices are appreciated.

Sounds
Hello commanders, congrats for first interceptor kills. I'm new to this fight, too, and I'm in phase of searching best ship builds for my style and (poor) skills.
I killed some Basilisks with shieldless Phantom - this ship is fast enough, much faster than Basilisk, and it gives enough time to fly away, to repair and for synthesis of
heatsinks if I need them. I use 4 pre-engineered shard cannons because they shoot instantly. Phantom has little bit less armour than Krait Mk II, but still good. Main
disadvantage is only 4 hardpoints, so no space for flak, (or you must sacrifice one shard cannon) but Basilisk is usually faster than his swarm and it's possible to
destroy a heart even before swarm will arrive. However, if you keep cold, swarm will not cause big damage.
I have found some of this meta builds are outdated - for example they all use FSD increased range + mass manager, but I thought if I use my own FC, isn't it better to
engineer it with shielded + thermal spread? I tried and it's ok.
And they all use Gauss cannons - but now with preenginereed shards and plasmas we have more choice. Shard works best for me.
Of course, there are cmdrs who can kill interceptors with almost anything, but others without cold orbiting and aiming skills must search for own solutions.
Soon I will try to kill first Medusa (with Krait Mk II) and any advices are appreciated.
Sounds really positive. I plan on fighting a few more Cyclops and finishing the engineering on my Krait MkII before fighting the Basilisk.

Can I ask how fast are you boosting to, my current max is around 520 - at the very top of the boost. I would like to know as if that’s the same as you Great! I will feel more confident going after a Basilisk.

Phantom 591 m/s, Krait 532 m/s. Both with G5 Dirty + Drag Drives. I tried G5 Clean but it was too slow. Some advices from meta builds are still valid! (y)
Additionally, Phantom is cheap rebuy, I had many rebuys before killed first Basilisk :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Commander!

Totally get where you’re coming from with a HOTAS and FA off. I fly HOTAS and FA off can be a real challenge. This is why I went with the Chieftain cos you can cold orbit with FA on (for at least part of it), and then concentrate on FA off for the swarm, which is just a flip - but as anyone with a HOTAS will appreciate, even this simple manoeuvre can be tricky.
But, as with everything, practice practice practice…

May I recommend you check out the AXI on Discord - they’re a great bunch and really help with your build, honing your skills, and often run co-op events to wipe out these evil insectoids!

GLORY TO MANKIND

Get to gausses.
Salvation weapons have lower penetration and lose too much damage on higher interceptors

Also work on evasion. Medusa hits harder than Basilisk

Congratulations Commander!

Totally get where you’re coming from with a HOTAS and FA off. I fly HOTAS and FA off can be a real challenge. This is why I went with the Chieftain cos you can cold orbit with FA on (for at least part of it), and then concentrate on FA off for the swarm, which is just a flip - but as anyone with a HOTAS will appreciate, even this simple manoeuvre can be tricky.
But, as with everything, practice practice practice…

May I recommend you check out the AXI on Discord - they’re a great bunch and really help with your build, honing your skills, and often run co-op events to wipe out these evil insectoids!

GLORY TO MANKIND

For FA off I have a bit of time so plan on using the Thrustmaster TARGET scripting software to adjust the curves on my pitch and roll to reduce the movement around the centre stick. This does however require me to re-do all the bindings which I dread but TBH a small part of me would not mind a complete refresh at the whole thing. Ive got a good image showing the labels of each button on the T160000M and the Throttle so will use that as a reference.

Thrustmaster Button Layout.jpg

Phantom 591 m/s, Krait 532 m/s. Both with G5 Dirty + Drag Drives. I tried G5 Clean but it was too slow. Some advices from meta builds are still valid! (y)
Additionally, Phantom is cheap rebuy, I had many rebuys before killed first Basilisk :)

Wow, thats fast! I own a Phantom so may well look to that for a build using the bits off my Krait.

For FA off I have a bit of time so plan on using the Thrustmaster TARGET scripting software to adjust the curves on my pitch and roll to reduce the movement around the centre stick. This does however require me to re-do all the bindings which I dread but TBH a small part of me would not mind a complete refresh at the whole thing. Ive got a good image showing the labels of each button on the T160000M and the Throttle so will use that as a reference.

View attachment 307044

Ha ha a fellow nerd! :)
Here's mine for the X52 Pro:-

X52 Pro.png

Struggling to get that “Perfect” kill. In the vids I watch it’s like a set piece, shoot thargoid, excert heart, fly away, reverski, kill the swarm, rinse and repeat for all four hearts.

My issue stems around the swarm, some times I seem to kill most of them easily, I do what I feel is the exact same thing with the next batch and can barely hit a single one of them.

Practice I am sure will help. Anyway the flowers have not had me since the first solo, they are down around a further 6 since :)

Top Bottom