Some new explorer-friendly lightweight engineering suggestions

This turned up in search so I think I'll bump it.

With FSD boosters... small ships are being left behind by a few lightyears. I outfitted a Krait and got 38ly with a no-compromises combat loadout. My fully lightwight Courier only gets 39ly and I know the Krait can get a lot more with a lightweight loadout (no fair!)

Providing lightweight mods for SRV bay / DSS / ADS will help small ships a great deal to remain competitive in jump range and exploration.

The standard -90% mass on these 3 things would gain my Courier a much needed ~4ly.

Can we please get this before Distant Worlds 2 leaves the bubble?

+1 to this thread, SRV hangar lightweighting is much much needed for small ships.

Hauler for example loses SEVEN lightyears by equipping a SRV hangar, it might be an extreme case, but by itself the SRV hangar kills the hauler as a serious exploration ship.

A lightweight SLF would be great too. The trade off element is obvious: for each tier of weight reduction, you carry one less ship rebuild with you. Perfect for explorers who aren't going to use their ship for combat.

Lestat

Banned
Well, the mining laser you can use the smaller version of the mining laser. You are not going to be using it all the time.

Well if your careful like you are with a car. You can use one SRV vs 2 or 3. Most nebulas with Stations. You can always Repair the ones you have.

It's time to bump this now that 3.3 beta is happening and there is still no sign of lightweight SRV.

Please FDev, let us apply "misc" engineering to SRV bay (lightweight, shielded, reinforced). [yesnod]

No need to have lightweight mods for the ADS anymore :D

Well, the mining laser you can use the smaller version of the mining laser. You are not going to be using it all the time.

Off the top of my head, the medium mining lasers have the same mass as the small mining lasers (2T).

Let's not forget the repair limpet controller either.

And the decontamination limpet, and the recon limpet, and the research limpet. That said, considering that these 3 only come in E-grade controllers (and the research limpet only comes in 1E), I suspect that we will see a balance pass on limpets before we see more engineering for limpet controllers.

Lightweight hull: Reduces hull mass as the expense of hit points and armour piercing rating. Basically reducing hull mass by making your hull more squishy.

Lightweight hull: Reduces hull mass as the expense of hit points and armour piercing rating. Basically reducing hull mass by making your hull more squishy.
I think that's asking for a bit much at this point.

Applying MISC to SRV bay, and existing limpet mods for other limpet controllers is an easy copy/paste.

Suggestion to provide lightweight mods for:

SRV and hangar

Don't we already have this? 2G vs 2H (and ditto for all other classes); trades energy for weight.

While I'd argue they could replace it with a single module and just make it engineerable, on second thoughts that would preclude anybody without Horizons.

I still fail to see why the SRV bay isn't like the SLF bay though and just "prints" the SRV as required. Or conversely that the SLF bay has "X" number of "reprints".

Ridiculous that explorers have to be so careful with their SRVs for months on end. Half the fun was when a bug meant we got unlimited SRVs for a while and could engage in all sorts of shenanigans during DWE1.

Hangars should have 0 mass, and SRV's themselves *should* have some mass. It's currently reversed (I suspect because SRV's are classed as "ammo" for the purposes of making life easy).

Z...

Last edited:
Don't we already have this? 2G vs 2H (and ditto for all other classes); trades energy for weight.

While I'd argue they could replace it with a single module and just make it engineerable, on second thoughts that would preclude anybody without Horizons.

I still fail to see why the SRV bay isn't like the SLF bay though and just "prints" the SRV as required. Or conversely that the SLF bay has "X" number of "reprints".

Ridiculous that explorers have to be so careful with their SRVs for months on end. Half the fun was when a bug meant we got unlimited SRVs for a while and could engage in all sorts of shenanigans during DWE1.
Does anybody use them? 2G=26000cr, 2H=18000cr What's the point? "H" SRV bays should just be removed from the game.

Also SRV bay mass is unbalanced.
2G=6t
4G=10t
6G=17t

If "normal" doubling rules had been followed then:
2G=6t
4G=24t
6G=96t

But that isn't what we got. We got big SRV bays that don't have enough mass to even notice on larger ships, and the small SRV bay is a lead weight to low-mass ships.

Lightweight SRV bay engineering will help correct that imbalance.

Some quickie numbers (stock with max g5 fsd + mass manager - 2G srv = jump range lost, numbers from coriolis.io):

Adder (35t): 31.36 - 29.15 = 2.21
Cobra3 (180t): 35.90 - 35.09 = 0.81 (at 180t the reduction is already much less, 4G is only -1.33 which is still less impact than the rest of the light ships)
Eagle (50t): 29.15 - 27.23 = 1.92
Hauler (14t): 34.28 - 29.46 = 4.82 (SRV bay hurts Hauler the most)
Courier (35t): 30.40 - 28.32 = 2.08
iEagle (50t): 28.32 - 26.51 = 1.81
Sidey (25t): 26.37 - 23.42 = 2.95
Viper3 (50): 26.45 - 24.87 = 1.58

There is also the speed and maneuverability reduction as well, making these small ships less able to run away.

To me, this request is very much about giving small ships a much needed "buff".

Top Bottom