Newcomer / Intro Some Newbie Exploration Questions

Hi All,

I've read a fair few guides to the art of exploration for fun and profit, but still have a couple of questions for fellow forumers.

- Can anyone share any tips for finding previously unexplored systems? How easy are they to stumble across if you avoid the well travelled paths to Sag A* & Nebula's?

- I've noticed that the Frame Drive fitted in my mining ship charges up noticably quicker than on my explorer. Is that just down to boot time or does anything else (eg Power Plant, Ships Mass etc) have an effect?

- Any last words of advice before I head towards the edge of the Bubble?

Thanks in advance,
Withnail67

Hi All,

I've read a fair few guides to the art of exploration for fun and profit, but still have a couple of questions for fellow forumers.

- Can anyone share any tips for finding previously unexplored systems? How easy are they to stumble across if you avoid the well travelled paths to Sag A* & Nebula's?

- I've noticed that the Frame Drive fitted in my mining ship charges up noticably quicker than on my explorer. Is that just down to boot time or does anything else (eg Power Plant, Ships Mass etc) have an effect?

- Any last words of advice before I head towards the edge of the Bubble?

Thanks in advance,
Withnail67
Don't forget a fuel scoop. And an AFM (auto field maintainence) is optional but advisable in case you bump into a star or two.

As for undiscovered systems, I think the norm was to drop down about 500 light years below the galactic plain and go on from there in any direction you wish to go.

There are no non-well travelled paths to Sgr A* or the visiblke nebulas - take a look at the interactive Galaxy map at EDAstro:
On the other hand, there are many unexplored systems also on the well travelled paths, unless you come to specific chokepoints or the actual goals.
I don't think you'll see a difference in either the boot or the charge up time between different FSDs. There is a difference, though between charging up to Supercruise and charging up to Hyperjumps.
My recommendation: get a second account (currently dirt cheap via steam), that will reduce the pressure to return to the bubble because you think you miss anything.

Don't forget a fuel scoop. And an AFM (auto field maintainence) is optional but advisable in case you bump into a star or two.

As for undiscovered systems, I think the norm was to drop down about 500 light years below the galactic plain and go on from there in any direction you wish to go.
Just dropping in with a remark that when comes to exploring the unexplored, doing whatever is "the norm" is precisely the wrong thing to do. :LOL:

For want of a better phrase, I couldn't think of a better way of wording it.
Oh yeah. I know what you meant and that you were expanding on the "think 3D" comment.
But first thing I imagined was dozens of newbies getting exactly 500LY below the plane and start exploring.

In any case, yes, especially when going towards Sag A*, it's advisable to go "up" or "down" a bit if for nothing else than for the high amount of unscoopables that are present on the galactic plane between the Sol and the Sag A*. :)

You don't actually need to go anywhere as far as Sag A* to find undiscovered systems. They start popping up at arouind 1KLYs away from the bubble.

FSD's - iirc - all take the same time to charge then jump. FSD boot time - the enigneered thing - is restarting the module from power down. I may be incorrect though.

Last edited:
Pick a random direction. Fly out in that direction a couple thousand LYs. Acquire nearly endless untouched systems. That's basically it.

Remember to pack a fuel scoop/AFMU/DSS/SRV/Repair limpets(and some cargo racks for them).

The only difference in FSD charging time is whether you are high-waking (h-jump to another system) or low-waking into supercruise. All ships and equipment take the same time with the exception that your charging into supercruise can be slowed by the presence of an inhibiting mass of another vessel (mass-lock-factor) - that doesn't happen with high-waking.

Thanks Commanders,

• FSD: I must have been comparing the time to charge up super cruise with the time for an actual system jump.
  • I've got 2 AFMU, but is it worth taking a few Hull repair limpets + controller? I could reconfigure my Explorer to carry 8 limpets.
  • Finally, I haven't gotten round to visiting the first Engineer yet, who I think can pep up the FSD. Is it worth it to cut down on the time to reach the edge of the Bubble?

I've flown a few practice runs, searching out Earth like world's to map and I've decided that loosing ½ly in jump range is worth it to bring along a SRV, for photo ops if nothing else. I think the Deep Space Explorer "DSX23 For Tea II" is almost ready.

Aside: I know I've found a game I really love when I spend as much, if not more, time reading and researching while I'm not actually playing!

Felicity Farseer, typically the first engineer most CMDRs go for is more than worth it; she's almost obligatory :D

What ship are you using for long-range exploration? An AspX?

Last edited:
Finally, I haven't gotten round to visiting the first Engineer yet, who I think can pep up the FSD. Is it worth it to cut down on the time to reach the edge of the Bubble?
It depends.

If you're of the type that picks a destination and wants to get there fast, doing (most of) the exploration around there, then yes.

For first trip I might choose* the unengineered way, you might even pick some cool systems that were missed by fast travellers. And that way you'll appreciate the longer jump range later more (if you decide you need it).

* back in the day we had no choice - no engineers, no NS/WD boosts, no jumponium :)

2 AFMU and repair limpets are only necessary if you plan on taking A LOT of damage. :LOL:
So it really depends on how you feel about your flying. I'd definitely recommend trying to land on a couple of planets with higher G while you're in still in or near the Bubble to get some confidence.
If you trust yourself, and/or if you're not planning to stay in the Black for months, one AFMU is usually enough to keep you going.

While engineered FSD is definitely not a requirement for successful exploration, it does help when you're trying to cover larger distances. But if you're not feeling like grinding the materials and can't be bothered by doing it right now, you don't have to. You'll see how you feel about it and there's always time for these things later.

Personally, I could not have done with Fe. But then I joined well after the update for engineers so I don't know what it was like before. However, I think it would give me a claustrophobic "feel" whilst exploring not to have the jump range she can give you.

I'm not countering Zieman's and Chris' posts here - it is a personal thing and experimentation will show you what your preference(s) is(are).

Thanks again for the advice.
  • Engineering:. I think I'll leave that until my second voyage, so I have something to compare it to. I often use the "economical route" on my way back to my home station to visit more systems anyway. My ship can jump 33ly as is and I have plenty of materials for boost if I want to jump further.
  • AMFU: Am I right in thinking they don't add mass, so you may as well put then in, rather than run with empty slots?
  • Repair Limpets: I'll leave those behind and carry the extra weight of a SRV instead.

Thanks again for the advice.
  • Engineering:. I think I'll leave that until my second voyage, so I have something to compare it to. I often use the "economical route" on my way back to my home station to visit more systems anyway. My ship can jump 33ly as is and I have plenty of materials for boost if I want to jump further.
  • AMFU: Am I right in thinking they don't add mass, so you may as well put then in, rather than run with empty slots?
  • Repair Limpets: I'll leave those behind and carry the extra weight of a SRV instead.
If boost jumping always check that you have the materials for two jumps when boosting to that isolated system at the galaxies edge if you haven't got the boost for the return you could be stuck.
AMFU are massless but draw a lot of power so switch them off until you break something.

I'd advise having quite a good quality large fuel scoop if you can afford it, as it means if you want to you can honk, refuel, and then jump again without having to sit and wait for the refuel to complete. Of course, it's possible with a smaller one but for me it makes multiple jumping so much more pleasurable.

Cheers,
aRJay - I keep the AMFU switched off and hope that they'll stay that way! But thanks for the reminder about saving a boost.

Miketuppen - I don't remember the fuel scope I have fitted off the top of my head, but I know it can scope 120/s with heat at a steady 65%, which seems reasonably quick. I also always scope at OBAFGKM stars to try and keep the time down.

Top Bottom