Some performance tweaks/fixes

The logic applies with the FDL as well, but applying it between a sidewinder and FDL is not fully appropriate for two reasons. First, starter configurations, even in balanced mmo games, don't always fit the realm of balance you expect later. You ideally start the player at some basic introductory level until they are ready to take off the training wheels. Second, the difference between those two ships, without engineering, is nowhere near as dramatic as what engineering provides.

There are plenty of ways to progress a player other than improving their stats in every corner. Just as a perfect example, an Anaconda will fly nowhere near as fast as an FDL and may even lose a battle against one with all engineering included, but the Anaconda will be significantly more capable of performing higher end PvE missions. That dynamic alone provides appropriate progression, not all stats +++.

If you feel like getting the final word in, that is fine, but I will not continue any more off topic ideas in here. The point was simply that removing shadows and reflections should not be considered cheating, that suggesting so would be laughable because of how much damage to balance the on-foot version of upgrading already offers with respect PvP concerns. It's akin to using macro keyboards at best, well within normally acceptable tolerances.

Agree that's enough off-topic in here, but i find really worrisome that you seem to feel that cheating is justified to compensate for certain levels of game progress that you personally are against.
Engineering is not cheating.

Now back on the topic of shader "fixes" - yes, they are cheats if they remove (or alter in other ways) the shadows that are used for cover by other players/npc
it's just simple as that.

Hopefully, disabling the glass reflection will be a temporary workaround.
It's not ideal but as my GTX 1080 was reaching 100% usage, and dropping fps. I though people with lower configs have it even worse than me.

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP for the effort. Personally I'm going to hold the trigger on this one.
Patch 5 is due in 4 days. Not that I expect much of an improvement from it but one can never tell. Besides, I rather use OP workaround after patch 5 has deployed, so it won't be rewritten in a few days.

Thanks to the OP for the effort. Personally I'm going to hold the trigger on this one.
Patch 5 is due in 4 days. Not that I expect much of an improvement from it but one can never tell. Besides, I rather use OP workaround after patch 5 has deployed, so it won't be rewritten in a few days.
I'll probably need to update the mod (with the new shaders IDs) if Frontier change something in those shaders
This was the case in update 4 but it wasn't difficult.

Dumb question here but would turning on sharpening not increase aliasing? I remember I tried editing this in the Nvidia Control Panel once and it looked worse than before so I reverted back to OG settings.

I'll probably need to update the mod (with the new shaders IDs) if Frontier change something in those shaders
This was the case in update 4 but it wasn't difficult.

Aaand i pulled the trigger :D

running V2.0 and yes, removing the reflection on windows does bump fps, or better, it doesn't drop them any more. Will continue testing, i'm using an APEX to go to several location for testing purpose.

Good work!

I ran it on Carrington Hub in Croatigae (the location of my tests in the 'FPS - it's the windows' post which is still getting attention from time to time.)

The frame rate increase was noticeable there, so you're definitely onto something. (The red glass effect is in the railings, around the rim of the plant pots, and also decorative panels in several store windows.)

I went to Fraknoi Ring in the same system, which is an Ag orbiter, and the FPS didn't change there - that station has a kind of rippled green glass instead of the red, and I assume that's a different shader.

Anyway, here's hoping FDev add a few graphics options for the time being, even if they can't improve the FPS with these shaders right away. If the player can turn things on and off to raise frame rates, that will certainly help.

this is one area where it does improve. On and Off is clearly visible in the video by the FPS reading.
Hmm do I want 80 fps or 55 fps and a weird smudge reflection on the computer screen... Holy hell 25 fps loss just from these shaders that's absolutely terrible, clearly none of this was checked and optimized yet.

It's a little odd losing the reflections on the large window with the outside view but still I'd prefer the fps increase. Those reflections should not have that high of a fps costs at all though. I really wish they'd upgrade the cobra engine to use newer standards, RTX for shadows/reflections and DTSS etc... I know that's not going to happen though.

Hmm do I want 80 fps or 55 fps and a weird smudge reflection on the computer screen... Holy hell 25 fps loss just from these shaders that's absolutely terrible, clearly none of this was checked and optimized yet.

It's a little odd losing the reflections on the large window with the outside view but still I'd prefer the fps increase. Those reflections should not have that high of a fps costs at all though. I really wish they'd upgrade the cobra engine to use newer standards, RTX for shadows/reflections and DTSS etc... I know that's not going to happen though.
Did the devs coded the shaders with Basic? 🤦‍♂️

and look at this slideshow. There is no reason, no hi fidelity graphic whatsoever to even closely justify this level of performance.. It's really astonishing, no triple A title whatsoever does this. None of the latest synth benchmarks does this. THIS is utterly broken software, unoptimized is calling it good
@Zac Cocken @sallymorganmoore please can you have a look and give us, the community some feedback from the devs? Really, this is bad. Like really bad, no game nowadays should have this kind of issue, unless it's an under development game, that no dev house should show to the public, for own credibility sake:

and look at this slideshow. There is no reason, no hi fidelity graphic whatsoever to even closely justify this level of performance.. It's really astonishing, no triple A title whatsoever does this. None of the latest synth benchmarks does this. THIS is utterly broken software, unoptimized is calling it good
@Zac Cocken @sallymorganmoore please can you have a look and give us, the community some feedback from the devs? Really, this is bad. Like really bad, no game nowadays should have this kind of issue, unless it's an under development game, that no dev house should show to the public, for own credibility sake:
That's a weird one. Wonder what's causing it? Far too intense to be a culling issue and removing the fire seemed to have no effect...

That's a weird one. Wonder what's causing it? Far too intense to be a culling issue and removing the fire seemed to have no effect...
I know right?

In space, no problem at all, same for outpost and station concourses. Than today i got to this hydroponic complex, it's a first time also for me, never had it SO bad. Close to fire on other settlements, but just a moment (not that it is ok, but keep the game still very playable) but this one... Jeez! hope FD is looking into it. It's inexplicable and unacceptable.

I wish the CM could at list chime in for acknowledgement. Again THIS IS BAD!

Here is culling at his best.... i'm pretty sure that there is a combination of multiple thing going on in the background that are severely hindering performance and starting to lose faith in FD to have the skilled manpower to fix this mess

I just tested both the fire fix and the 3d migoto mod.

System specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
RTX 3070
32gb RAM @ 3600mhz
Display: (1) 1080p 144hz monitor

Settings:
Everything on the maximum setting except for supersampling which is set to 1.25. Terrain set to Ultraforcapture, Terrain work slider all the way to the right, etc etc.

Before the 3dmigoto mod, I was getting about 56fps when stepping out of the elevator into a Coriolis concourse. As I go up the stairs and approach the bar, inter astra, etc, it would drop to 35-45 fps or lower, depending on the starport.

After installing the mod, this went up to about 70-90 fps throughout the concourse. The only time it dropped is if I opened the system map via Frontline or Apex. Upon exiting the system map, the framerate would drop down to about 45 and be stuck there unless I relogged or exited the concourse. I suspect this isn't something a shader mod can fix.

Ground conflict zones are largely unaffected by this mod. I wasn't able to test the same site because the frontline desk told me there were no conflicts to sign up for after I installed the mod, so I had to fly to a different system and test at a different site. On first dropping in, I was sitting at about 55-60 fps (was getting 35-45 before), but after a few minutes running around the site, it dropped down to about 25-30. Something in the area was causing a severe bottleneck, but I couldn't isolate it because no matter where I turned, it didn't seem to affect the framerate. The only thing that helped was to go inside a building, which would bring it up around 60, but it would drop back down to 30 when I went outside.

Let me know if there's any debug info I can provide that would help improve this mod. The difference inside starports already makes it worthwhile. Thanks for putting this out there. This is really helpful

Let me know if there's any debug info I can provide that would help improve this mod. The difference inside starports already makes it worthwhile. Thanks for putting this out there. This is really helpful
The mod mainly disables reflections, so you'll gain fps in settlement buildings/concourses around windows, ceiling windows, guardrails, mission consoles.
Fps should be improved inside and outside. But outside, i've only seen improvement around windows and ceiling windows.

The performance seems to improve for many people. So I'm interested in any display bugs that the mod would cause. So far, i've only seen the ring on the stations exits (fixed in v0.2)

Last edited:
After installing the mod, this went up to about 70-90 fps throughout the concourse. The only time it dropped is if I opened the system map via Frontline or Apex. Upon exiting the system map, the framerate would drop down to about 45 and be stuck there unless I relogged or exited the concourse. I suspect this isn't something a shader mod can fix.
Hmmm, i never have any problem with the galaxy or system map (with or without apex). I only see a short drop when exiting the map.

Does it happen every time ? I'm not running anything on ultra, so it could be one of the settings.

Last edited:

Trust me, you don't want Fdev to add Ray Tracing features.

Top Bottom