Something Positive for Elite / Frontier Staff Who Are Human Beings w Feelings Not Targets

You comment on this.
Yet no comments about the cheating and/or hacking going on in the game.
C'mon, please be better than this.
Seriously? What do you want her to say? "we're aware of the situation and looking to develop a resolution"

It's OBVIOUS they know about it. That's literally their job.

And even IF they said that, you'd whine about how they were patronizing you.

It takes a special kind of person to complain about someone complimenting another.

Seriously? What do you want her to say? "we're aware of the situation and looking to develop a resolution"

It's OBVIOUS they know about it. That's literally their job.

And even IF they said that, you'd whine about how they were patronizing you.

It takes a special kind of person to complain about someone complimenting another.
Hijacking a thread about how Elite has helped people so you can complain about a known issue.
C'mon, please be better than this.
Lets let FDev respond, I'd like to know what they have to say themselves.

Do you have a positive story to tell about how Elite Dangerous has helped you in your life? No matter how small?
Elite Dangerous is "just a game", but I have found it a wonderful tool to help me understand the galaxy I live in. I was a stargazer long before I started playing Elite, and now I have a real sense of where I am in the galaxy and where the stars I look at in the night sky reside. I'm not sure any other tool would have given this to me in the same way. Having to fly an "actual" spaceship from Sol to Maia, for example, gives me much more of a sense of where everything is than using a tool like Space Engine. So long story short, Elite has totally changed how I look at the night sky, and that's really something for "just a game".

In my experience people absolutely need social interaction whether they will admit it or not. We're all interconnected is some weird way and we need each other. In my experience people are at their happiest when they feel connected to their peers, while people who are anti-social seem more angry and unhappy, again, this is in my experience. We can 'un'-thank the internet and social media for a lot of these woes. There is no digital replacement for a hug and everyone needs one of those once in awhile.

Yes I totally agree. Even if you don't directly meet other people in game there is still a sense of a shared experience from being part of the ED community. Some choose to build bridges while others choose to build walls. I try to stay in the former category.

The Replicated Man

T
Do you have a positive story to tell about how Elite Dangerous has helped you in your life? No matter how small?

Here is mine!

I am saddened to see so many people get outraged about gaming problems / accidents/unforeseen events.. there are human beings at the other end of twitter who already feel terrible about bugs/issues and who work hard every day to fix them for us. If they were members of my family I would never say the things I have read from angry mean spirited players of a game even if they were members of my family I did not like. Frustration is fine, but lashing out to hurt people's feelings to me is just mean. I personally thank all of the members of EliteDangerous and FrontierDevelopments for all they have done to provide me with entertainment and fun.. not a nessessity of life ... you are all much appreciated despite all of the hate and attacks.

I even predicted possible technical issues a couple of days ago but that is just because I know life happens.. so I put my ship (see below) behind the Megaship (my little hauler) and was ready to push if needed. :) Keep up the good work folks.. EliteDangerous has pulled me out of the worst time of my life when suicide was my only other option... so to all of you I say thank you for being here. View attachment 131745
Hey John! I am 20 mins from Ottawa. We should go for a beer sometime and talk about Cobras and Thargoids

I wrote on the DW2 thread about how this has been helping me through a very bleak time. It gives me focus, and allows me to lose myself in something that, for all it occupies my mind, doesn't really matter at all. I've put thousands of hours into this and all of them have been better hours than if I was stuck with my own thoughts.

But I also wanted to say something about the positivity of the thread, and treating staff fairly. Because, yes, they are just people, going to work, doing their job, and there's far too much on this forum which reflects a wider climate of angry over-entitlement (I could go off about politics with that, but this isn't the place).

Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of people out there highlighting bugs or making suggestions or asking for greater transparency/communication in a reasonable and considered manner; that's at least part of what the forums are for, and it's a necessary and valuable thing. But we all know there's a lot which crosses that line and keeps running far into the distance. Meanspiritedness and spite for sake of it, as if the whole universe (both the game one and the real one) revolves around the commenter.

And for what? If you're unhappy about the direction the game's going, the people making those decisions aren't going to be the community managers. Nor are they the ordinary devs working hard to put food on their tables - and let's be honest, game development is hardly renowned as an industry for the easy happy life. If you're being rude, that attitude is going no further than a bunch of people who don't have any power to fix anything. You're just being a **** for nothing.

Yes, that's why I added the part you quoted.
Saying "it's not personal" isn't going to prevent it feeling that way I suspect.

I'm sure Paige (and Will and other CMs) respond to the community when they have relevant information on game issues given to them by those with the knowledge, and I'm sure they report the concerns and problems diligently to the development team. Is it too much for DeathDingo to allow a simple kind comment to go unbashed?

On community engagement, I feel Ed in his time tried to increase the general level of interaction, but there's only so much the CM team can do, the policy and information to be given to us will not be their decision.

And I'll leave it there. Paige is awesome, by the way.

Saying "it's not personal" isn't going to prevent it feeling that way I suspect.

I'm sure Paige (and Will and other CMs) respond to the community when they have relevant information on game issues given to them by those with the knowledge, and I'm sure they report the concerns and problems diligently to the development team. Is it too much for DeathDingo to allow a simple kind comment to go unbashed?

On community engagement, I feel Ed in his time tried to increase the general level of interaction, but there's only so much the CM team can do, the policy and information to be given to us will not be their decision.

And I'll leave it there. Paige is awesome, by the way.

All you have to do is let them respond Thistle, all I can do is state my motivation & if you want to go off on a conspiracy trail that's up to you. While you read between the lines just try to remember to actually read the lines too. I posted a bunch of positive stuff and justified the negative stuff.

Frontier, as a company, have the opportunity to help customers who are unhappy to be happy (or happier). I only speak for myself but I do so in as clear & unambiguous way as I can, describing the issues & a well thought out solution. I did not offer this for cheating because it is a complex issue with few easy solutions, but I have written a great deal on the subject on this forum.

So if FDev want people to be happy, maybe don't ignore the problems. The stuff that's been going on with the new community goal is good, that basic honesty just needs to be extended to all the stuff that hasn't been addressed over the last several years.

I like this game, I essentially play it to temporarily escape, to give my mind a meaty challenge to focus on. I don't really mind bugs, everyone makes mistakes but the feeling of being fobbed off unless you post a pretty picture pervades.

The fact that great people work at Frontier, and that the game helped a lot of people coping with issues in their life is undeniable. But this is hardly a unique case. I'm sure that Fortnite has helped people with depression. Or Minecraft. Or World of Warcraft.

The recognition of Elite's impact on someone's life (mostly, let's be clear, by means of Elite's community, not just the game) in no way entails being blind to the evident flaws of the game, the lack of proper communication by the developers, and the general lack of care the game has received in recent (and not so recent) times. From the jewel in Frontier's crown, Elite has become little more than a popular trademark.

Think of how much more helpful the game could be -- how many more lives it could have had an impact on -- had it been developed according to higher quality standards.

Here is mine!

I am saddened to see so many people get outraged about gaming problems / accidents/unforeseen events.. there are human beings at the other end of twitter who already feel terrible about bugs/issues and who work hard every day to fix them for us. If they were members of my family I would never say the things I have read from angry mean spirited players of a game even if they were members of my family I did not like. Frustration is fine, but lashing out to hurt people's feelings to me is just mean. I personally thank all of the members of EliteDangerous and FrontierDevelopments for all they have done to provide me with entertainment and fun.. not a nessessity of life ... you are all much appreciated despite all of the hate and attacks.

I even predicted possible technical issues a couple of days ago but that is just because I know life happens.. so I put my ship (see below) behind the Megaship (my little hauler) and was ready to push if needed. :) Keep up the good work folks.. EliteDangerous has pulled me out of the worst time of my life when suicide was my only other option... so to all of you I say thank you for being here. View attachment 131745
Absolutely.

ED certainly has its share of problems and it is reasonable to discuss that and complain but crikey, try and keep it respectful and remember there are people on the other side - I rather doubt anyone in FD wants us to feel miserable or is out to ruin our lives. We might get miffed at probems but ED is a game and our frustrations are no reason to have community managers wading through sewage.

I certainly have my issues with ED and have various, fairly, strong opinions on where things should go but I hope I present those with some degree of decency.

Meanwhile I love ED. It has given me many happy hours of entertainment and I've enjoyed seeing it as it has grown and developed over the years. I've had some fun times and met some interesting characters (when I've played in groups!) and I anticipate more of all this in the future. Good work FD!

Rely on the ever bitter to smother the faintest spark of positivity.
It tends to go both ways in this forum. People just can't let other people express their views without trying to smother those views with their own views, whether it's a positive "thank you" thread like this or a thread criticizing bugs. Even this thread, which aims to be positive, takes unnecessary jabs at people with legitimate complaints.

I wish people would just keep their peanut butter out of other people's jelly, and vice-versa.

Top Bottom