Something Positive for Elite / Frontier Staff Who Are Human Beings w Feelings Not Targets

Get a grip. They're paid to do a job and customers pay for a working product. If there are structural issues at Frontier meaning they cannot support this game properly they need to take that up with their seniors. Asking customers to be gentle and accept years of poor development and bug resolution to spare some little darlings from getting upset is embarrassing.
You may have paid for the game, but treating people with respect costs nothing. Airing any grievances clearly, succinctly and politely will always yield far better results than calling developers upset little darlings and insulting their efforts.
You do have a right to criticise the game - feedback works. But it helps everyone if it's done properly.

For a change it’s so good to hear positive post about this game and about the dev’s team working on it, i’v played this game since Kickstarter beta

I love anything space-related, have played EVE Online, Star Trek Online, and now ED. There were, ofc, various other games in between, space-themed and not. I played earlier iterations of Elite, where manually docking was your only option, and exploded enough times doing that, lol.

The immersiveness of Elite is amazing, piloting a ship that can travel faster than light, yet without the time compression issues, is mind-blowing. Yes, it's a game, and has it's issues, but show me a game of this scale that doesn't.

To all the staff at FDev, well done on a colossal effort, and please keep it up for years to come. I ain't done with Elite just yet!

I dont target devs. I know is tempting to pick name and dump a load on them.
No I dump load in forum and leave it to the community manager.
Is usually not easy job they have and they have to deal with toxiposts and critique.
So thanks CMs for wading thru swamp and trying to sort it out. And thx to mod club who do a decent job too imo.

DeletedUser191218

D
You may have paid for the game, but treating people with respect costs nothing. Airing any grievances clearly, succinctly and politely will always yield far better results than calling developers upset little darlings and insulting their efforts.
You do have a right to criticise the game - feedback works. But it helps everyone if it's done properly.

I don't deny that fact, but I've never seen any particularly scathing or unpleasant comments about personal developers. The development of this game has been slow and even when updates are made they are poorly executed resulting in months and months waiting for fixes. Bug resolution is generally shockingly inadequate.

How shielded can you make the people who are responsible for these problems? As I already stated, if there is a structural issue at FD then there needs to be difficult conversations about how the company is managed. But to ask to be spared professional criticism because it might hurt your feelings is infantile. It's not like the company is running a charity. Ultimately, they want your money.

DDastardly00

D
I don't deny that fact, but I've never seen any particularly scathing or unpleasant comments about personal developers. The development of this game has been slow and even when updates are made they are poorly executed resulting in months and months waiting for fixes. Bug resolution is generally shockingly inadequate.

How shielded can you make the people who are responsible for these problems? As I already stated, if there is a structural issue at FD then there needs to be difficult conversations about how the company is managed. But to ask to be spared professional criticism because it might hurt your feelings is infantile. It's not like the company is running a charity. Ultimately, they want your money.

I'm sorry, what part of calling developers "little darlings" is "Professional Criticism" ? I must have missed that part.

You know, there are at least a hundred threads specifically about these issues you described that you could've poured even more salt on, but you just had to wade into this one, a positive thread about how elite has helped people and then you told the OP, who clearly has struggled in the past to "get a grip". That to me speaks volumes about you. You need to go have a hard look at yourself in the mirror.

I love the team at FD they do incredible work, I've been playing for years and still enjoy ED. No finer feeling than getting the SRV out on an unexplored world that no human being has ever seen before.

I'm sorry, what part of calling developers "little darlings" is "Professional Criticism" ? I must have missed that part.

that's twisted.

he didn't say he was making professional criticism in that post, he was referring to what op supposedly was referring to, and tbh we can't exactly know what op meant. this is the problem with these generic terms like "so many people get outraged" or "angry mean spirited players". there's hardly going to be a constructive discussion starting with emotion packed vague accusations like that.

actually, op didn't even present a case, it's a completely emotional post (which is perfectly fine and respectable by me). however, you can hardly discuss something grounded on what's basically op's overblown perception presented as a fact or a premise out of question. it is completely questionable, which is what RamboJambo just did, and his argument looks actually flawless to me.

now you fish out the "spare some little darlings from being upset" expression, put it out of context (a mere caricature on op's skewed presentation), and present it as an insult to developers disguised as alleged criticism ...

You know, there are at least a hundred threads specifically about these issues you described that you could've poured even more salt on, but you just had to wade into this one, a positive thread about how elite has helped people and then you told the OP, who clearly has struggled in the past to "get a grip". That to me speaks volumes about you. You need to go have a hard look at yourself in the mirror.

yeah, exactly.

or maybe just calm down, breathe, reread the thread ... you might have missed something :)

Last edited:

DDastardly00

D
that's twisted.

he didn't say he was making professional criticism in that post, he was referring to what op supposedly was referring to, and tbh we can't exactly know what op meant. this is the problem with these generic terms like "so many people get outraged" or "angry mean spirited players". there's hardly going to be a constructive discussion starting with emotion packed vague accusations like that.

actually, op didn't even present a case, it's a completely emotional post (which is perfectly fine and respectable by me). however, you can hardly discuss something grounded on what's basically op's overblown perception presented as a fact or a premise out of question. it is completely questionable, which is what RamboJambo just did, and his argument looks actually flawless to me.

now you fish out the "spare some little darlings from being upset" expression, put it out of context (a mere caricature on op's skewed presentation), and present it as an insult to developers disguised as alleged criticism ...

yeah, exactly.

or maybe just calm down, breathe, reread the thread ... you might have missed something :)

"Asking customers to be gentle and accept years of poor development and bug resolution to spare some little darlings from getting upset is embarrassing."

Sounds like criticism to me.. I dont think I'm off base here at all. And a mod took exception to it as well. Because it s not constructive. But this thread is about positive experiences with Elite so let's get back to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
35 years of video gaming. I've never seen any game come close to ED in so many ways.
All other mmo's pale in comparison with the vision of this game.

I had actually owned ED for some time without actually ever playing it due to concerns on the time needed to get into it. It actually wasn't until I met some of the people at Frontier through other means that I thought I'd finally jump in. Since then I've met some of the amazing (positive) people in the ED community and more of those at Frontier and totally regret not diving in earlier!
I enjoy the game despite any bugs, as all games have them, and know in time they'll be dealt with. Knowing some of the people that are behind the game actually makes me enjoy the game even more as they're amazing people and I can see the effort they go through to put it out there for people to enjoy.

Really, maybe I should save up for a ticket to the uk and meet frontier. That seems to be the missing link for the rest of us... white knights know frontier in person, the rest of us do not :(

Apparently Ed Lewis was an amazing person in real life, when is persona on live-streams was something else. I could never get how community members more senior than I could say that just from the live-streams.

Eh, met some cool people.

90% of them through casual murder or piracy early on.

I talk to a few outside the game a couple times a week, one of ‘em every day, just about.

Guess that coulda happened on any game, really, but the elite community is smaller than most, so it’s easier I guess.

Forums are usually pretty cancer. This is probably the worst part of my Elite experience, to be honest.

I just stick around to keep up on events, patch notes, and to offer advice now and then, in hopes that more people will git gud.

DeletedUser191218

D

Ah but the "little darlings" comment wasn't a criticism of the developers. It was a criticism of the suggestion they should be wrapped in cotton wool and protected from criticism.

I thought that was obvious.

Get a grip. They're paid to do a job and customers pay for a working product. If there are structural issues at Frontier meaning they cannot support this game properly they need to take that up with their seniors. Asking customers to be gentle and accept years of poor development and bug resolution to spare some little darlings from getting upset is embarrassing.

Cheer up, chances are there's more pressing problems in life than overly concerning yourself with bugs in a computer game. If not, you're lucky and should count your blessings.

Totally agree with OP. Elite is a very complex game and Frontier made it very hard for themselves by:

1) trying to stay true to the spirit of the original games (consequences of this are that piracy and killing other players for fun is valid game play)
2) making a blaze-your-own-trail game without true progression and still keep it interesting
3) catering to new players, casual players AND veterans who play multiple hours a day

Given all this I think they are doing an amazing job, even giving us free updates. And with this complexity bugs will be inevitable.

On the other hand I truly believe that most negative comments are because people are passionate about the game and want it to be the best space sim it could be.

I think this is well stated. Now sometimes people do go too far in their criticisms of developers. I think a good litmus test is how would you feel if an individual developer from Frontier were to contact you personally to respond to one of your criticisms. That happened to me once, and it made me wish that my original criticism was a little less "sharp".

On the other hand, Frontier is a company and we are the customers, and if we are dissatisfied, it is our right to voice that dissatisfaction. The very fact this forum allows voices of dissent is proof of this. The moderation team knows that is allowable criticism and what is a personal attack, and they are pretty quick to remove the latter. So even Frontier doesn't want "sunshine blown up their bums" -rather they want an honest assessment of their customers' (dis)satisfaction level.

Top Bottom