Something To Consider If We Get Spacelegs....

Just thought of this (though it's probably been brought up before): Walking around in (and outside) our ships would be nice. But I just realized something that might be a huge drawback: Gravity. What would be the biggest number a human could deal with before walking actually becomes impossible?

Acknar 3 comes to mind (hope I spelled it correctly): 6.7 g's. Just getting that cup of coffee lifted up to your lips would be a chore.

What about the insurance settlements on the DVT all of us have endured from sitting in that pilot's chair all this time? Now just getting to stand up and walk about?
Super-secret leak direct from frontier towers.

maxresdefault.jpg

What about the insurance settlements on the DVT all of us have endured from sitting in that pilot's chair all this time? Now just getting to stand up and walk about?
Dear FD. Please add space compression socks to my earlier request for additional starpants. More love, Borko

Pilots in the Elite universe are cybernetically enhanced and/or genetically engineered (depending on whether your ancestors were Federaal or Imperial inclination) to withstand huge gravitational forces. Our ships can pull over 20 G before we start to red out, for example, and combat maneuvers that would turn a normal 21st century human into primate butter barely make our heads loll about. I'm sure these enhancements also mean we can happily walk around, do burpees or whatever we want in any gravity any landable planet can throw at us.

Easy fix.

You just need 3H (16t) wardrobe module where you can outfit yourself with exoskeleton that allows you free roam on moons and planets with over 2g. Without this module present you won't be able to leave your ship. Or even move inside of your ship. Don't forget that.

For you wouldn't expect you could actually move inside your ship in just Remlock, right?

I already limit my landings to planets under 3G, as I know my body would crumble under anything more, even sitting in a chair!

Easy fix.

You just need 3H (16t) wardrobe module where you can outfit yourself with exoskeleton that allows you free roam on moons and planets with over 2g. Without this module present you won't be able to leave your ship. Or even move inside of your ship. Don't forget that.

For you wouldn't expect you could actually move inside your ship in just Remlock, right?
That WOULD be an issue, wouldn't it? You land on a planet with 7 g's and can't move. You'd need the 3H wardrobe but you didn't purchase it before landing here. Perhaps it's time to start a new group called The Gravity Rats. Oh, and the delivery charge for having them haul that stuff out to you so you can raise your hand to pay for it is "g x 100".

Tsk, tsk.
People, people, don't you realise that the reason you don't slide out of your seat into a big pancake-shaped heap on the floor when you land on these hi-gee planets already is because your suit is an organic-exoskeleton-force-compensator. By order of a (secret) unholy alliance twixt Feds and Imps (the Alliance lot were told to get in line or else), pilot-augmentation beyond compensation is strictly verboten however.

I havent run the figures but how much 'g' is caused by some of the crazy ship accelerations in the game?

Frameshift, low wake, allows, what: 0-light speed (300x10^6 m/s) in, say, 10s. That gives an acceleration of 3 million G?
Inside a rotating station; all the ships will queue 'horizontally' to get out when they should be stacked radially.
Land on a high G planet and you can still operate your SRV. Lifting your arm would be like picking up a sack of cement, then there's the effect on your circulation to consider. Dont even think about your digestion.

The world of 3300 must have a way to affect gravity locally. Something which insulates the poor cmdr's soft bodies from all this stuff. Stacking ships in a rotating station... that's clearly down to the limitations of computing power. Computing power in the 3300s obvs...

That WOULD be an issue, wouldn't it? You land on a planet with 7 g's and can't move. You'd need the 3H wardrobe but you didn't purchase it before landing here. Perhaps it's time to start a new group called The Gravity Rats. Oh, and the delivery charge for having them haul that stuff out to you so you can raise your hand to pay for it is "g x 100".

Well, I was thinking more about actual ability to walk inside your ship than moving at all. So while on high G planet and no 3H wardrobe you could still operate your ship from your seat. Just walkingpart would not be available. For it would be <cough. cough> illogical if you could walk freely inside your ship but not outside. What would be the difference, right?

Telepresence solves any gravity problem since holograms are weightless.

I counter with telepresence broadcast range. In 3305 it seems radio waves have range equal of a powder rifles. At most.

Top Bottom