Newcomer / Intro Sometimes you need to get to a planet that's more than 20 minutes away even in super cruise. Is there any faster way?

Are you taking about just switching off super cruise ASSIST or just targeting the star instead of the planet? I'll give it a try

Super Cruise Assist will be disabled by going to full throttle or by pointing far enough away from the targeted destination, you need to be in the blue zone throttle wise (50-75%) and pointed at the target for it to work. The trouble is if you get too close to the target before getting the throttle at a suitable setting SCA tends to mess up the approach.

...... The trouble is if you get too close to the target before getting the throttle at a suitable setting SCA tends to mess up the approach.

I would have thought the biggest trouble is the time it takes to transit any system is hugely increased if done at 75% throttle. I assume that is what it does, I have never had one fitted.

The trouble is if you get too close to the target before getting the throttle at a suitable setting SCA tends to mess up the approach.
I find that's the advantage - it often managed to come in ok if you turn it on at down to 0:03 scs (not always). More of an issue is if you leave it on across a system and it will happily try and go through planets, which ... it cannot :) Too many times climbing back away from gas giants ...

I find that's the advantage - it often managed to come in ok if you turn it on at down to 0:03 scs (not always). More of an issue is if you leave it on across a system and it will happily try and go through planets, which ... it cannot :) Too many times climbing back away from gas giants ...
This is sounding like the old Docking computer, back a few years ago.

Something I have noticed. The old DC, will now raise the landing gear. Up until last month, I would drop the landing gear, to 'slow down' the DC; as it tended to boost, towards the mail slot. Dropping the landing gear stopped this happening. Now however; the DC just raises it again and then, just does what it want to.

Having made some long trips (but not The Monster of Hutton)
Oh, you really should. There is a rather lovely little joke waiting when you get to the tourist beacon... which links in with a quite unique purchase you can make at the gift shop. That took the sting out of the fact that I went there as a n00b after taking a mission without having figured out time vs distances in the game!

Oh, you really should. There is a rather lovely little joke waiting when you get to the tourist beacon... which links in with a quite unique purchase you can make at the gift shop. That took the sting out of the fact that I went there as a n00b after taking a mission without having figured out time vs distances in the game!
Maybe after I get back from my Walk About...after 21K LY's...3M LS's doesn't sound as bad...Oh who am I kidding...any trip where you can actually go watch a show on TV while you are waiting for your ship to get there is a beast...but one day maybe.

Maybe after I get back from my Walk About...after 21K LY's...3M LS's doesn't sound as bad...Oh who am I kidding...any trip where you can actually go watch a show on TV while you are waiting for your ship to get there is a beast...but one day maybe.
Ah... don’t sweat it. The main reason to visit Hutton Orbital is to be able to brag that you’ve been to Hutton Orbital. ;-)

What system is it in? I need a break right now.
Alpha Centauri is the arrival point Hutton Orbital is above the planet of Proxima Centauri which is just under a quarter of a light year away.
If you start now 00:53 you should arrive by 02:30.

Dang'd ninja's and their high speed typing.

Last edited:
Everyone should go to Hutton Orbital at least once. I've been three times... the first, I was ignorant; the second, for a high-pay mission and I needed the money; the third, I got careless and accepted a mission without checking the destination.

It's sort of a rite of passage!

Don't take the mission - there is a reason it is worth so much. ;)

BTW Why keep posting that "artists impression" picture?
That's actually the thing. You can see how far away from drop point the destination is, and either you take the mission and get extra pay for exactly that distance, or do something else. There is always a choice.

Top Bottom