Sony UK has Elite Dangerous as a PSVR title

The header of the page does say, "Out now & coming soon to PS VR" (emphasis mine). Holy crapolie!

ps - I'm taking your word that ED is in this list of games, as I didn't scroll through looking for it.

The part that states "Coming soon" is the key. I for one will not be holding my breath waiting. And though it may seem a bit harsh, have no sympathy for those that will, when they turn blue.

The part that states "Coming soon" is the key. I for one will not be holding my breath waiting. And though it may seem a bit harsh, have no sympathy for those that will, when they turn blue.

I think Sony defines "Soon" differently than Frontier does, but I'm not holding my breath either until an official announcement is made. Even then, I'm not sure I'd invest in PSVR. To do it right, I'd have to get both the VR gear and a PS4 Pro, and once I start plunking down that kind of cash, I might as well invest in an higher-resolution PC VR rig (or more likely, wait for the PS5). However, I would be thrilled for everyone who currently owns PSVR :D

When Ed was on Lave Radio the other day he got asked about this and although he didn't exactly say no, it was pretty much as clear as he could make it that PS4 wasn't ever going to get ED on PSVR. I suspect this is just Sony spin to try and make sales for the VR headset.

TWitko

Banned
let me ask this (I just wonder) :

1) what is quality of PSVR in comparision with some more famous PC ones - like Oculus ? NOte, I'm _absolute_ noob regarding VR ...

2) do you think PS4 Pro is powerful enough for VR ? I believe it's preformance is the main reason why ED for PS misses 4K and VR ..

Anyway I can live without VR (even w/o 4K) for now .. what I really miss (every day) is missing captain's log/journal .. :S:S:S

TW

When Ed was on Lave Radio the other day he got asked about this and although he didn't exactly say no, it was pretty much as clear as he could make it that PS4 wasn't ever going to get ED on PSVR.

Wow, that would be sad :-(

I suspect this is just Sony spin to try and make sales for the VR headset.

Na, they would lose too much rep if they started making stuff up - could just be a typo OR it could be true!

let me ask this (I just wonder)
1) what is quality of PSVR in comparision with some more famous PC ones - like Oculus ? NOte, I'm _absolute_ noob regarding VR ...

Higher frame rate but lower resolution and field of view (link to excellent comparison chart)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/vr-headset-specs-compared-psvr-htc-vive-oculus-rif/1100-6456697/

2) do you think PS4 Pro is powerful enough for VR ? I believe it's preformance is the main reason why ED for PS misses 4K and VR ..

Imo, the PS4 Pro would have no issues with Elite in VR as Elite can run on an i3 with integrated graphics.

That is, unless there is some unknown performance issue with Elite running on PS4...

But I really don't think this is the case! There was a bug that made Elite run super fast on PS4 - so if it has no problems running x4 on my PS4 slim, then I can't see it having an issue with VR or 4K...

...unless PS4 sales have been really low, thus not warranting future updates for 4K and VR???

Still, I think 4K and VR will come to PS4 (I'm optimistic :-D )

Last edited:
let me ask this (I just wonder) :

Anyway I can live without VR (even w/o 4K) for now .. what I really miss (every day) is missing captain's log/journal .. :S:S:S

TW

If you can live without ED VR - you haven't tried ED VR! :p

I've tried EDVR.

I can also live without it.

Personally I prefer high-quality head tracking. And voice attack.

Honestly, to me, whilst VR is certainly cool... Definitely not essential.

Whilst not essential I think it would definitely bring a new level of depth to the game. I’ve not tried the VR version but I do love my PSVR as it definitely adds a whole new level of immersion, even on old games like Skyrim which I think is pretty awesome.

I keep hearing about voice attack but I’m not a PC gamer. I’m assuming it’s used for voice commands like Bridge Crew? Is there any reason why it couldn’t be brought in game?

TWitko

Banned
If you can live without ED VR - you haven't tried ED VR! :p
You are right, I haven't ;) Be sure I'd like to give it a try .. it has to be unique experience ! [up]

... but the question is - will potential ED/PSVR become fulfilment of your (ok, our) dreams or it will be another disappointment. Just now, I'm not sure .. [where is it] or I'm affraid I can predict .... :x

Honestly, I'm quite pis*** off by combo PS4 and ED, nowadays. It's odd, as I like PS4 Pro concept (have no problem with another game) and I really _love_ ED game. But those two in one combo is another story - it annoys me a lot ... annoys me more and more every day I play it. It's not about game itself, it's mainly about missing features, about lack of "support-reasonable-timed-development" and about missing dev's effort or goodwill at least (as far as I can see).

Just now I'm waiting for Beyond to see what's about (for me as a PS4 user) ... maybe miracle will happen .. but I don't believe it. Seriously I don't believe ...

Then what ? I don't know. Probably the best idea would be to throw whole "family" (PS + ED + Hotas4) where it belongs (yes, I mean into garbage) and switch to PC. Buy some powerful machine, use 4K monitor, solid joystick, keyboard, Voice attack, etc ... and yes maybe it's time to try Oculus ;) Simply enjoy this great game in its best possible quality. Yes, "enjoy" ... not to be disgusted by some stupid limitations and by endless waiting for miracle (which will never happen - just my 2c)

I really don't know .. right now I'm quite disappointed and sceptical in general ...

TW

Deleted member 110222

D
Whilst not essential I think it would definitely bring a new level of depth to the game. I’ve not tried the VR version but I do love my PSVR as it definitely adds a whole new level of immersion, even on old games like Skyrim which I think is pretty awesome.

I keep hearing about voice attack but I’m not a PC gamer. I’m assuming it’s used for voice commands like Bridge Crew? Is there any reason why it couldn’t be brought in game?

Voice Attack is a third-party application, which is developed by an entirely separate company from FD.

Voice Attack isn't just for games. It can be used to automate just about any task on your computer.

I recently introduced a friend to it, and he now uses it for everything EXCEPT gaming.

Na, they would lose too much rep if they started making stuff up - could just be a typo OR it could be true!

I don't think we're on the same page with the words 'typo' and 'spin' here. It's not a typo, there's too much involved in creating that page for it to be a simple mistake. Frontier have repeatedly said they would love to do PSRV, but not given any other info other than "don't hold your breath". Sony can simply point to that if it never arrives and claim "Hey it was FDev that made stuff up, not us". It's clear that Frontier have a closer relationship with Microsoft than Sony so they don't really have much to lose there.

I doubt it. Most PS4 players have no idea what Elite is, much less get excited by a potential release to PSVR. In other words, it's not really what you'd call "a killer app".

It's not simply about getting excited by a title on PSVR. It's about numbers. The greater the number of games on PSVR the more it look s like PSVR is worth getting. That's why it's not just a list of titles for PSVR that are out now, it's out now AND "coming soon". We all know what soon[SIZE=1]TM [/SIZE]means.

I'm guessing neither of you have spent any time with marketing types.

Im calling it now. No PSVR for ED in 2018, or I'll fly to Colonia in my Sidewinder.

Voice Attack is a third-party application, which is developed by an entirely separate company from FD.

Voice Attack isn't just for games. It can be used to automate just about any task on your computer.

I recently introduced a friend to it, and he now uses it for everything EXCEPT gaming.

Lol sounds pretty good. For Bridge Crew, Ubisoft partnered with IBM to use Watson for voice commands. Maybe Frontier could do something similar with one of these companies to get voice commands in game? I imagine voice commands alongside VR is a pretty amazing experience and helps with the amount of button commands the game has. Xbox has the least amount of buttons on their controller and I could do with more even with the touch pad on PS.

Top Bottom