Ships Souping up the next/old boat (or what to engineer?)

So, just finished my Palin Trek in Dog Rose II (a Krait Mk II), and was thinking I should maybe choose one ship for souping up special with the Engineers as I rank them up to access others.

I’ve probably done some daft things en route like engineering a 8D Thrusters in my Cutter, but perhaps a more scientific plan might be in order for a while...

so, currently I’ve got c 200m Cr, and the following:

Cutter (trading)
Clipper (mining)
Krait Mk II (exploratrader)
Asp X (gutted at the moment)
Imperial Eagle (not even started fighter for a bit of combat practice)
Cobra Mk III (for old times sake)

so, any of those worth focussing on beefing up, trading in?

next wee while will be a bit of mat grinding and Guardian blueprint building, but I’m still pretty green, so happy to take any steers really on suggested ships / builds

thanks o7

If you want to try learning to fight, a Viper is probably a bit better ship than the Eagle to start in. Cheap and effective.
You need a lot of specific flying practise to be able to optimally use an IEagle, especially an engineered one because the speed can be uncontrollable. But it is a monster once fully engineered, able to punch way way above its weight. Engines, guns, FSD and shields can be swapped with the Viper 3 too, so you only need one set of those for both ships.

After flying the Viper for a bit, move the gear over to the I-Eagle and continue to learn. You will definitely want to try out the Advanced Engines from Prof Palin.

Deleted member 121570

D
If you want to try learning to fight, a Viper is probably a bit better ship than the Eagle to start in. Cheap and effective.
You need a lot of specific flying practise to be able to optimally use an IEagle, especially an engineered one because the speed can be uncontrollable. But it is a monster once fully engineered, able to punch way way above its weight. Engines, guns, FSD and shields can be swapped with the Viper 3 too, so you only need one set of those for both ships.

After flying the Viper for a bit, move the gear over to the I-Eagle and continue to learn. You will definitely want to try out the Advanced Engines from Prof Palin.

Given that the Viper with those Enhanced thrusters will fly better, fly faster and pack much more punch than the iEagle - I'd say this is plain wrong.
The iEagle's lacklustre thrusters are a huge weak point for that ship

Dump the iEagle altogether and just shift toTeam Viper. Never look back :) It's vastly superior - more agility, much more flexibility, better distributor class, better everything really - except for view.

If you really want a great but slower small combat ship - Viper 4 and Vulture are your go-to's. If you want to stay fast - Viper 3.

Aha thanks both.

The IEagle was just trying to keep it imperial, but hasn’t been out of the garage yet...

I had been wondering about perhaps making the Krait the souped you baby, but think that something on the cheaper rebuy side would be wise...!

If I can get my head around Coriolis, will upload what I’ve got there, and perhaps a starter build for argument on a Viper or Vulture build. My combat rank is purely from having shot a couple of skimmers, so weapons in particular are a brave new world...

EDIT:
Does EDSY work for sharing your builds? Let me know. Any suggested amends welcome, whilst I get ready to rank up Qwent, flog the IEagle and get a Viper/Vulture...

Mainstay - the one I use most, Krait II
Miner - Clipper with a whole 10t under its belt
Monster - Cutter Trader

Last edited:
I’m now toying with the idea of a Vulture or a Chieftain for bounty hunting. May sacrifice the miner for now if need be, tho I’ll probably have to take the Krait out for another longer run for rare mat gathering / Guardian unlocks - but I really should have a fight sometime soon...!

should probably have said, I normally only play in solo at the moment.

Vulture is great, my favourite ship.

But if you're looking to invest in engineered modules, the medium ships share a lot of common module sizes so you can get a lot of bang for your engineering buck by swapping between ships.

Vulture is great, my favourite ship.

But if you're looking to invest in engineered modules, the medium ships share a lot of common module sizes so you can get a lot of bang for your engineering buck by swapping between ships.

interesting- I think the Vulture’s price point is a good one to practice with, but have been thinking that perhaps souping up the Krait Mk II for a ‘grown-up’ combat ship in due course may be one direction to go. It’s already a bit engineered as it stands.

One thing I’m confused about is shields - I think I’ve only had lightweight alloys until now, but have added Mirror Surfaced Composite to the Vulture - and remain unsure if that was the right thing to do...

Vulture looks like this at the minute

interesting- I think the Vulture’s price point is a good one to practice with, but have been thinking that perhaps souping up the Krait Mk II for a ‘grown-up’ combat ship in due course may be one direction to go. It’s already a bit engineered as it stands.

One thing I’m confused about is shields - I think I’ve only had lightweight alloys until now, but have added Mirror Surfaced Composite to the Vulture - and remain unsure if that was the right thing to do...

Vulture looks like this at the minute

Take a look at your shield and armour resistances (SHD and ARM tabs at the bottom). You can see that your shield currently has a big thermal hole (-20) and your armour has kinetic (-67) and explosive (-43) holes. NPCs like to use weapons which by default will exploit those weaknesses. Generally you want high absolute strength and your Kinetic, Thermal and Explosive resistances as high as possible for PVE, which is where Engineering comes in. My suggestion is to play around in EDSY and see how engineering affects your ship, both positive and negative. Its a great tool for learning the impacts of engineering.

On your build:
  • ditch the Mirrored armour, equip Reactive (only has one resistance hole to fill)
  • bi-weave shields, engineer for thermal resistance
  • hull reinforcement, engineer a small one for thermal resistance & a large on for heavy duty
  • ditch the D-grade thrusters and mount A-grade (you'll notice a huge difference in speed, maneuverability), engineer with dirty/drag
  • you'll need more power a bit later, increase your Overcharge

This is my current setup for reference, fully engineered https://is.gd/1KdBp6
Its got Guardian shield boosters, but you can install module/hull reinforcements

Take a look at your shield and armour resistances (SHD and ARM tabs at the bottom). You can see that your shield currently has a big thermal hole (-20) and your armour has kinetic (-67) and explosive (-43) holes. NPCs like to use weapons which by default will exploit those weaknesses. Generally you want high absolute strength and your Kinetic, Thermal and Explosive resistances as high as possible for PVE, which is where Engineering comes in. My suggestion is to play around in EDSY and see how engineering affects your ship, both positive and negative. Its a great tool for learning the impacts of engineering.

On your build:
  • ditch the Mirrored armour, equip Reactive (only has one resistance hole to fill)
  • bi-weave shields, engineer for thermal resistance
  • hull reinforcement, engineer a small one for thermal resistance & a large on for heavy duty
  • ditch the D-grade thrusters and mount A-grade (you'll notice a huge difference in speed, maneuverability), engineer with dirty/drag
  • you'll need more power a bit later, increase your Overcharge

This is my current setup for reference, fully engineered https://is.gd/1KdBp6
Its got Guardian shield boosters, but you can install module/hull reinforcements

thanks! That’s really helpful

Top Bottom