Space Engineers: Any DBX pilots out there?

I like exploring.

SEToolSet was a good way to put planets out in Space Engineers. Unfortunately it isn't supported any more. But players can still place planets way off as dots in black space, as many as your system can handle, then explore. Choice of mod planets are many (100's), so just a matter of 'exploring for real'..
This planet turned out well, can't remember what it was called though.

The thing to remember is, all these planets are all in the same space (no boxes), plus any changes you make remain made. So each pc system will vary as to how many planets, stations, ships etc, you can handle.
But I haven't found a limit, just yet.. ;)

Video is sped up to save time.

Nice new screens too:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrgqm_-TZ94

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdfaOr6mAMQ

Last edited:
I'm a Vulture pilot.

Attachments

• Vulture with HRP.jpg
    Vulture with HRP.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 230
  • SE vulture interior.jpg
    SE vulture interior.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 261
  • SE Vulture 2.jpg
    SE Vulture 2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 227
I’m just about ready to give my first Survival game with actual survival elements in it a try. My first game was an Earthlike without enemies, just to be able to get a little experience with the game mechanics. While I still feel like I don’t have a good feel for the nuances of the conveyor system, I feel like I’ve been playing in the kiddie pool long enough.

Commander: Inga Stevenson, aboard Krait Caesar’s Ghost, currently 40kly away from anywhere.
Settings: Default with 3X backpack capacity. Cmdr. Stevenson is a heavyworlder after all, and she managed to snag Krait Caesar’s Ghost HEV suit before reaching the escape pod.
Life Pod heading towards: an alien world, a terraforming candidate that wasn’t as dead as it first appeared.
Escape Condition: a working Cobra Mk III with:
  • Retractable Landing Gear
  • Working FSD/Jump Drive
  • Working “SRV” Bay
  • Navigable Interiors
My initial thought is I’m going to need to build it using small blocks. With a height of 8 meters, that’s just a hair over 3 large blocks high, and I want to include both decks.

From the journal of Commander Inga Stevenson:

I’ve often wondered how I get myself into these messes. Okay, I did hack Krait Caesar’s Ghost’s FSD-enhanced thrusters so I could “Old School” my way while exploring, but that shouldn’t’ve fouled up the life support and repair system that way.

Good News is that my ship remains mostly functional. I just need to have enough life support to make repairs.

Bad News is that the Ghost is currently on an escape trajectory out of the system, and I’m plummeting into the atmosphere of the terraforming candidate I was flying towards before things went bang.

Good news is that my Life Pod is landing in the mountains covered in water ice, which should provide enough oxygen to breathe.

Better news is that my life pod has a Falcon-DeLacey all-in-one survival kit. While it isn’t as high tech as the fabber that’s in the Ghost (not that it does me any good), it’s much more flexable, especially since it can build a better fabber using regolith.

Best news is that it includes the blueprints for a pre-FSD era Cobra III. While it would take 30 years to get back to the Bubble using it, it’s more than capable of getting me back in the Ghost, with the stuff I’ll need to repair it.

Day One: Bad News is that there isn’t any ore deposits in the range if my HEV suits thrusters. Looks like I’ll need to fab some vehicles to scout around. And for that I’ll need a place to recharge them.

Day Two. Basic infrastructure in place. Now I just need to make a scout flyer and a place to charge it.

Day Three:

Since I'm going to need a lot more iron, and there's no nearby deposits, I'm going to need to process a lot of stone. There's plenty of stone behind my base, but I have no desire to carry the stuff I cut out of the mountain down to the refinery. So, I added a gravity feed mechanism to my refinery.

Thankfully, I had thought ahead and put the base right at the foot of a mountain. Carve a trench up the mountain, and watch those rocks tumble on down into the waiting collector. Sometimes, gravity can be a blessing. After sending tons of material down the hill, I started salvaging the life pod for parts as I waited for all that stone to process. After that, it was time to create a surface reconnaissance vehicle.

What I ended up building was an old SRV design called the Grasshopper. Basically, a cockpit attacked to atmospheric thrusters and a battery, with a charging port below.

Bad News: Turns out the atmosphere wasn't dense enough to actually lift the thing off the ground. Couldn't even get it to the charging station. Fortunately, the Grasshopper shares design elements with a second small SRV, the Ladybug. Removed the thrusters, attached some wheels, painted it red (I've got plenty of paint as a byproduct of stone processing, apparently), moved her onto the charger, and we're ready to go.

Day Four:

Bad News: There's no way off this mountain by driving. Every patch of level ground ended in terrain too rough to drive over.

Good news: I found some silicon and magnesium deposits about two kilometers away from my base, so there's ore in these thar hills. Looks like I'll need to make some hydrogen and oxygen tanks, and push out further than I've gone before.

Worse News: Meteor strikes could be a problem.

Worst News: My suit's power systems are going to be the limiting factor, giving me a functional range of about 10 kilometers from base.

After several outings, I manage to find a two deposits of iron, and one of silver. No gold, yet, let alone the most critical one I need at this junction: cobolt. On my fourth outing, I spot a valley that looks promising. I follow it down, and spot an ice lake in the distance.

If worse comes to worse, I'll refine a bunch of ores, enough to build a survival kit and windmill, and start a new base down here. As I push on past the lake, another drop pod descends. I head that way, and I find the drop pod contains... powerkits! I can't build them, yet, so I'll keep them for emergencies. I continue on continuing on, and just as I'm about to head back, I spot a cobalt deposit! I quickly dig down, gather up as much as I can, use a power kit... which provides hardly any power... and head back to base, arriving with only a few percentages of power left to my suit.

1.25k of cobalt ore is what I call a good haul.

Next step in my plan: Mine some iron, nickel, silicon, silver and magnesium... and move off this mountain!!! I'll keep what I built here, just in case I need it later.

Day Five:

As soon as I get everything up and running, I'll have to see if the air down here in the valley is thick enough to properly run atmospheric thrusters. Moving things long distances,1200 liters at a time, is not exactly my idea of fun. But at least I could do some scouting for resources in the process. :)

No nearby iron, though. :( Still, 4.5 km is much closer than 11 km or 15 km. Still haven't found any gold, nor a nearby source for silver. Second trip, while not finding any new resource sites, did bring enough iron to get the second base up and running. Also built another Ladybug SRV, in anticipation of doing some scouting nearby.

After the sun set, and many, many trips later, it was time to say farewell to Ice Base SubZero. You served me well, but its time to move on. Next step: building the larger Refinery and Assembler, building a flyer, and a proper surface transport... not necessarily in that order.

Day Six:

As it turns out, I ended up going with Refiner, Assembler, meteor defenses, Batteries, Surface Transport, and then flyer. I had two meteor swarms just barely miss my base, so I decided not to put those off.

The vehicles are, from left to right: the Catepillar Surface Transport Vehicle, Ladybug SRV, and the Dragonfly SRV.

Day Seven:

Have begun building up my base. Started with a massive hydrogen tank and a smaller oxygen tank, which is connected to an intake vent to take advantage of the trace amounts of oxygen in the atmosphere. I may need to build a second H2/O2 generator just to speed up the generation of hydrogen. Next came a working airlock on the north side. Several trips to a iron site I discovered close by with the Catepillar, though I'm still mining by hand. Finished the docking port for the Dragonfly. Currently working on making an enclosed space so I can finally take off this HEV suit, and get some proper sleep. My emergency supply of performance enhancers is getting low, and it isn't a good idea to rely on them in the long term anyway.

I've had to take a little break from the game, not because I've grown bored with it, but rather because I have "builder's block" (like writer's block) and have needed something more mindless to play, so I've rekindled my on again, off again relationship with Overwatch.

However, I've been rewatching Clone Wars on Disney+, and I can't help but think of Space Engineers as I see all these ships. Everything is BIG in Star Wars, which works well with SE's big blocks (having big, open spaces). Overwatch has a big open moon base that has me thinking of how I could recreate something like this in SE. So even when I'm not playing SE, it's never far from my mind!

Day 8:

My base, though primitive, is finally complete. It may have taken a while to find where the leak was, but it was finally found! In preparation for doing some vehicular mining, I converted the Dragonfly SRV into the more utilitarian Moth Surface Utility Vehicle. Meanwhile, the Caterpillar STV received some modifications, to prepare it to transport the Moth and any ore it mines.

The outside may not look like much, but at least it does the job it needs to do. Maybe I'll get around to painting it... maybe.

Bathroom, shower, bed, kitchen, and a hydroponic bay to grow herbs to make the bactopaste somewhat palatable. This system will help extend my limited food supplies another two weeks. The local life has the wrong chirality, so can't be used to augment my food supplies without extensive processing. Still, I miss my Krait's high end life support system! It made the bactopaste it produced actually taste like food!!! 😭

Any good strip mining concepts around?
I built this vein miner system. The horizontal drill slowly rotates, and the piston allows me to expand outwards. This lets me focus on mostly ore without clogging the works with stone. The ore is fed directly to my factory for processing. I already have more iron than I know what to do with, and I've not even extended that piston hardly at all!

Attachments

• miner1.jpg
    miner1.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 232
  • miner2.jpg
    miner2.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 232
  • miner3.jpg
    miner3.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 236
I built this vein miner system. The horizontal drill slowly rotates, and the piston allows me to expand outwards. This lets me focus on mostly ore without clogging the works with stone. The ore is fed directly to my factory for processing. I already have more iron than I know what to do with, and I've not even extended that piston hardly at all!
That is clever. Is the piston layout stable?

That is clever. Is the piston layout stable?
Yep, it works great. The trick is to have a very low RPM on the rotor and keep the torque relatively low, so you're not stressing anything. I'll just extend the piston a little bit (pushing the 'chewers' into the ore) and then turn the piston off and flip the rotor on and walk away and let the drill do its thing.

Did you install the "I must eat and sleep" mod? I want to try that someday, but right now I'm doing mostly vanilla to learn the game (and no wolves / spiders / meteors).

I don’t usually mod games, so right now that’s pure Roleplaying. When I get an opportunity to play again (its competing with ED at the moment, and neither game are an idle games IMO) I’m going to install two “bactopaste” processors (oxygen generators) for completions sake. I even connected the bathroom and shower to the conveyor system. ;)

I’m totally stealing your miner BTW. I just need to make a portable version...

Top Bottom