Space Engineers: Any DBX pilots out there?

The Krait that I prototyped in creative (easy) mode, I'm now building block by block in survival (hard) mode. When I'm done I'll know every square inch (block) of this ship!

Attachments

• Krait Construction 1.jpg
    Krait Construction 1.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 444
  • Krait Construction 2.jpg
    Krait Construction 2.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Here's a view from my construction drone of my Krait so far, lit by a beautiful sunset here on the African plains. Or am I in Kansas? As soon as this ship is up and running, I will go search for the perfect biome and location for my proper base. Speaking of, does anybody know the dimensions of a medium landing pad in Elite Dangerous?

This picture kinda reminds me of the Death Star in ROTJ :D

Attachments

• Krait Construction 3.jpg
    Krait Construction 3.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 427
I'm iterating on my original design as I build my Krait block-by-block in creative mode. I think the final version will be much improved over the original prototype that I "whipped together" (relatively-speaking) in creative mode. Actually BUILDING this ship (welding each block in place with components I create in my factory from ores I've mined) is quite the project, but I'm having a blast! It also gives me a whole new sense of scale when I go back to playing ED someday. This thing is stinking huge!

Its a shame really this thread gets very little comment. Space Engineers is one of the best space games around. I know, it takes time to put worlds, ships, stations etc together, but once its all there, the game feels great to play.

I stopped at a space station to pick up some passengers and this motley crew got on. Think some of them jumped into the wrong game. Still, they found Space Engineers so much fun, I can't get them to get off the ship.

Mental note: With the new weather effects in this game, my usual habit of making my initial structures as bare bones as possible is rather... problematic. :(

Seconds after taking the second screenshot, I got killed by lightning. 😲 Since I had permanent death enabled, my first session of "SE vs EGS: Sidewinder Edition" really didn't go well, especially since this was my second attempt, after the first one ended before it could begin, because of this:

Escape Pod struck the side of the mountain just as the parachute deployed, destroying the survival kit. There's no way of building a new one with the parts I'd found.

Looks like my old starting strategy is going to need a lot of revision. It'll certainly make life a lot more interesting, to say the least. ;)

A pretty large step forward for Space Engineers.

Remember those pistons and having to watch how they were placed because they interfered with the blocks near them. Not now. :)

Its the first thing I found in the new update.
There is also a lot of optimization for MP.
But hopefully they'll be more in here for SP, I'll go back and keep looking.

Edit: Works the same with hinges, so we'll hopefully be able to build with a little more confidence.
Rotors just need the right block config to work well.
Its looking good.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQVUVexX3qs

Last edited:
I do love the planets in Space Engineers. I also love this ship, although I'm still altering bits and pieces.
There is a nice mod for drag when entering planets with an atmosphere. Not using it here, but I do use it quite a lot. Can burn up pretty easily if you don't enter at the right speed and at a good angle.
Will try it with this ship and post the resulting video later, below the one here, in the same post.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFsW0WZh1A

I do love the planets in Space Engineers.
My biggest complaint is the reliance on ice instead of water. I want an ELW that has true lakes and oceans. If I could have EGS's planets, solar systems, and galaxy in Space Engineers, I would be a happy camper.

Someday I'll have to look to see if there is a decent water mod. Keen seems to rely heavily on mods "filling in the gaps" in their game. I used to be a vanilla purist, but not so much anymore.

My biggest complaint is the reliance on ice instead of water. I want an ELW that has true lakes and oceans. If I could have EGS's planets, solar systems, and galaxy in Space Engineers, I would be a happy camper.

Someday I'll have to look to see if there is a decent water mod. Keen seems to rely heavily on mods "filling in the gaps" in their game. I used to be a vanilla purist, but not so much anymore.

Yes I agree. Empyrion planets in S/Engineers would be great. I haven't seen a water mod for Engineers, but you never know.
Keen have drifted along with the help from many mod makers, if it hadn't been for those, I don't think Engineers would be half as successful. Although half the sales would still be a success. ;) But you know what I mean.

I love space travel and Empyrion can't really deliver that very much. On the other hand I love Empyrion for the planets and additional blocks. Very nice to build in Empyrion, with Engineers your always short of the right shape block.

Anyway,
I built a Anaconda 'ish ship this afternoon. No interior and there is still more to do on the exterior. But it's not too bad.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWwPl9NAgb4

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no155bXkJWk

Last edited:
Redoing parts of the Anaconda.

Having viewed the Anaconda in VR on YT. It was obvious the bridge I put on the original was way too small.
So I rebuilt the whole bridge area plus many other spots to give the bridge more of a correct size.
I also put some controls and bits in the bridge to furnish it out a little.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COalqCUiBD4

Obviously in S/Engineers we're restricted by the block types we have. So it will always be 'Anaconda' ish.
In Empyrion we have a better block choice and could probably do a much better job with the ship. But then we don't have the same space travel as Engineers, which is far superior to Empyrion. Being able to walk around the ship and maintain whilst travelling in Engineers is really good. Unfortunately Empyrion doesn't have that.

Also the ship here will be larger than the Elite Anaconda, but again scale in Engineers is way larger so, like for like.

Edit:

I put the spoiler on. ;)

Some colours:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbh8HppUVqQ

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2xsREVq2Fo

Last edited:

I have to admit I'm pretty much the other way. EGS pretty much nailed 90% of what I want from a survival game. That being said, I would love to import SE’s wheels, rechargeable batteries, pistons, rotors, and hinges into the game. I’m tempted to add it’s scripting language to the mix as well, but I don’t have the time to learn it. :(

I have to admit I'm pretty much the other way. EGS pretty much nailed 90% of what I want from a survival game. That being said, I would love to import SE’s wheels, rechargeable batteries, pistons, rotors, and hinges into the game. I’m tempted to add it’s scripting language to the mix as well, but I don’t have the time to learn it. :(
Yeah for survival (planetside) Empyrion wins out, no doubt about that. Planets are great in Empyrion, I would like them to be much larger though.

Engineers & Empyrion, its great to have both games, but I wish they could join together. I can dream though.
Its odd, when I'm in Empyrion it seems the best of the two. Then when I go back to Engineers that seems the best of the two. Guess I'll just devide the time. I'm glad I have given Empyrion some time back, because it has come on a long way from the start. Especially after this latest update.

The two games hold up to any space game out there, for me. Infact in many ways they are much better.
But it can get annoying not having one thing or the other, when that thing, whatever it is, exists in the other game.

However survival in space, there is only Engineers that wins out in that department, certainly for me. Plus the space travel, I really enjoy Engineers for that.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Dual Universe or Starbase ends up being the combination of the best of SE & EGS, but only time will tell.
Yeah I'll go with that. But not Starbase I reckon.
If its space its got to have air and pressurised cabins. Its a must have for me in space games. Don't think Starbase has that, because aren't we all robots in that ? sort of a side way out that is. ;)
I think Dual Universe has air and pressurised areas, well I hope so.
But its an MMO and I'll need a safe areao_O, which apparently they say they have.

Ok I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get into Space Engineers. Any recommendations for mods or is it best to start vanilla? I was looking at this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531659576
I personally try to stick to vanilla for blocks. There are a couple of exceptions, like aerodynamic wings. There are other quality of life mods that are nice, like the mod that lets me sleep when I craw into a bed, which fast-forwards night into day again (kinda like Skyrim). I definitely recommend going light on mods until you learn how the vanilla game works, using mods to basically "fill in the gaps" once you realize what's missing for your particular play style.

Top Bottom